Couple of questions related to copy2RAM, persistence, LXQt

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Couple of questions related to copy2RAM, persistence, LXQt

Post#1 by fulalas » 26 Oct 2016, 16:04

Hello! I'm new here and I want to thank Porteus project because it's everything I was looking for on a Linux distro: small size, performance and, specially, portability.

I would like to know:

1- is it possible to use copy2RAM option and keep/load settings from previous sessions?
1.1- how to autoselect copy2RAM during the boot process?
2- I noticed that the 3.2 RC versions don't come with LXQt or LXDE anymore. Is this the final decision for the next official release?
2.1- is it possible/easy to download LXQt and install/create a xzm package for Porteus?
3- when I download an official release, it's build on-the-fly, but I would like to know which files I have to change if I want to make some modification on my own (for instance: make root as the default user, or change to EFI).
4- what's the difference between an EFI and non-EFI build?
5- as far as I understand Porteus, when I open an app, it decompresses xzm package and put all dependencies in the system folders, opening the app after this process. My question is: does it remove these dependencies when I close the app?
6- not specific to Porteus, but is there any video player that syncs FPS and refresh rate like Kodi but with a simple interface (like SMPlayer)?

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Couple of questions related to copy2RAM, persistence, LX

Post#2 by Bogomips » 26 Oct 2016, 18:36

Welcome to Porteus.
fulalas wrote:1- is it possible to use copy2RAM option and keep/load settings from previous sessions?
Yes.
fulalas wrote:1.1- how to autoselect copy2RAM during the boot process?
Use boot parameter (cheatcode) keyword copy2ram (in porteus.cfg if using supplied syslinux boot loader)
fulalas wrote:5- as far as I understand Porteus, when I open an app, it decompresses xzm package and put all dependencies in the system folders, opening the app after this process. My question is: does it remove these dependencies when I close the app?
No. The xzm package will have to be deactivated, thereby removing all files from the overlay. The deactivation script will check to see if none of the files are in use before removing them. Otherwise they will have to remain until no longer needed by any app using them.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

FURRY_NOVA
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus XFCE v3.2 i586

Post#3 by FURRY_NOVA » 26 Oct 2016, 19:47

fulalas wrote:3- when I download an official release, it's build on-the-fly, but I would like to know which files I have to change if I want to make some modification on my own (for instance: make root as the default user, or change to EFI).
4- what's the difference between an EFI and non-EFI build?
I don't really know much about EFI thing but there's a page here explaining the differences: http://superuser.com/questions/496026/w ... -with-uefi I used BIOS for mine.

For root thing I believe there's a "login=root" cheat code for that. List of cheat codes can be found here: http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-gen ... -them.html There also a list here: /mnt/your_porteus_drive/boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt
New to Linux but learning. Hoping to help out Porteus community. :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 27 Oct 2016, 00:55

1- is it possible to use copy2RAM option and keep/load settings from previous sessions?
Yes. Boot into copy2ram mode (shown below) and use a changes= cheatcode to point to your changes.

1.1- how to autoselect copy2RAM during the boot process?
In the file /mnt/sdaXy/boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg change the line that says
DEFAULT GRAPHICAL ---> DEFAULT copy2ram

2- I noticed that the 3.2 RC versions don't come with LXQt or LXDE anymore. Is this the final decision for the next official release?
At the moment yes. LXDE is discontinued. I have a build here but there are issues. LXQt was too much of a challenge for me and the current 8 desktops variations give me enough headaches.

2.1- is it possible/easy to download LXQt and install/create a xzm package for Porteus?
Definitely and in fact I encourage it. If you get it all working nicely then please pass the information onto me.

4- what's the difference between an EFI and non-EFI?
EFI contains a folder called EFI that EFI systems will address when first switched on. non-EFI builds don't have this folder and will only work in a standard BIOS system.

6- not specific to Porteus, but is there any video player that syncs FPS and refresh rate like Kodi but with a simple interface (like SMPlayer)?
Doesn't the backend (mplayer) do all this for you?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#5 by fulalas » 27 Oct 2016, 12:34

Thanks for your replies, guys! Now I see that 'boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg' is the answer for almost all my questions. :)

Yesterday I tried to use the last LXDE xzm package I could find here (is there a newer version?) with Porteus 3.2 RC5, but there's a problem with ALSA Mixer when I try to watch a video or listen to a song with Audacious. The funny thing is that Youtube videos playback flawlessly on Firefox.

brokenman, I know you must have to work reeeally hard in order to put everything working. But I believe that Porteus' strength lies on its minimalist approach, and LXDE/LXQt seems to be the fastest/lightest DE -- that's why it was chosen by Lubuntu, I think. The responsiveness of LXDE/LXQt is simply unbeatable and reminds of Windows 9x performance when we had fast machines like Core 2 Duo -- something unachievable with WinXP/Vista/7/8/10 even with todays machine. So in my opinion maybe you can drop some DEs on the next version (3.3 >), like MATE or Cinnamon, in favor of LXDE/LXQt.

Saudações brasileiras ;)

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#6 by Bogomips » 27 Oct 2016, 13:32

fulalas wrote:Porteus 3.2 RC5, but there's a problem with ALSA Mixer when I try to watch a video or listen to a song with Audacious. The funny thing is that Youtube videos playback flawlessly on Firefox.
Maybe http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 275#p47666
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#7 by fulalas » 27 Oct 2016, 13:47

Thanks, Bogomips. I've seen this thread, but although I can execute this command in the console without any problem, I don't know what exactly I have to change in order to use video/audio apps.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#8 by brokenman » 28 Oct 2016, 01:26

fulalas thanks for the suggestion. LXDE has been discontinued and replaced by LXQT as far as I know. I started putting LXQT together but ran into various problems (a decent working network manager applet as an example). xfce is just as light (if not lighter) and does not pull in Qt dependencies. If/when I get time I will do my best to push something out.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.