Porteus not working on Virtual Box

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
write2diba
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Ubuntu

Porteus not working on Virtual Box

Post#1 by write2diba » 30 Jul 2016, 07:41

Hello,
I am fairly new to Porteus and hence was trying to boot on Virtualbox. In my desktop the Porteus (without GUI) is working fine in Virtualbox but the same image file is not working in Virtualbox of my Laptop. Whenever booting starts it gives some kind of error like "Kernel Panic" . I don't fully understand the error. It will be nice if anyone can help me out with this.

Thank you :)
Linux is Sexy :D

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Porteus not working on Virtual Box

Post#2 by Bogomips » 30 Jul 2016, 11:14

Welcome to Porteus. Someone will be coming along.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#3 by wread » 30 Jul 2016, 11:56

@write2diba
Don't be afraid of Porteus and run it as specified, out of an Usb stick. It won't hurt your computer; test and test everything! When you are familiar with the live system, its philosophy and performance, and you understand how it works, then you can run all the different desktops we have, direct or in Vbox and hack them without fear.

And whenever you need help, please give more details of your situation, the edition you are running, etc. For sure there will be someone who has experienced the same or a similar issue...

Welcome to Porteus :O:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

write2diba
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by write2diba » 30 Jul 2016, 12:39

Thank you everyone :)
wread wrote:@write2diba
Don't be afraid of Porteus and run it as specified, out of an Usb stick. It won't hurt your computer; test and test everything! When you are familiar with the live system, its philosophy and performance, and you understand how it works, then you can run all the different desktops we have, direct or in Vbox and hack them without fear.
@wread : : Yes I tried with a USB stick. In that case also my desktop is working fine but my Laptop hangs during the bootscreen of Porteus. After that it doesn't work. Is there some kind of problem with my Laptop?

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#5 by francois » 30 Jul 2016, 13:04

To help you as needed the specifiications of your laptop. Is it very recent?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

write2diba
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by write2diba » 30 Jul 2016, 13:13

francois wrote:To help you as needed the specifiications of your laptop. Is it very recent?
Yes my laptop is recent. Here are the specifications ::
MODEL :: Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBY
PROCESSOR :: Intel Pentium-N3540
HDD :: 500GB
RAM :: 4GB

IF YOU NEED MORE DETAILS PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Oh one more thing. I am using PORTEUS 3.1

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#7 by francois » 30 Jul 2016, 15:29

Please try porteus release candidate, 3.1 seems to be somewhat outdated for your linux box http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/Porteus-v3.2rc4/
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

write2diba
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by write2diba » 30 Jul 2016, 16:19

francois wrote:Please try porteus release candidate, 3.1 seems to be somewhat outdated for your linux box http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/Porteus-v3.2rc4/

Ok. I will try that and let you know.
There is one more thing that I wanted to ask.

In the index there are 3 folders
1) i486
2) i586
3) x86_64

These define architectures as far as I know. But I don't have that much knowledge. Which one is 32bit and 64bit.? I need 32 bit not 64bit.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#9 by brokenman » 30 Jul 2016, 18:35

Use the i586 folder and look for rc4.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

write2diba
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by write2diba » 30 Jul 2016, 19:41

brokenman wrote:Use the i586 folder and look for rc4.
Before seeing your reply I had already downloaded rc3 version... That one worker fine the first time. But after shutting it down and again when I started it in virtualbox again the same error is being shown.. First time it worked like charm.. I don't know what happened.. After that it doesn't work at all..
I downloaded the rc4 version also but that too is not working..

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 by brokenman » 31 Jul 2016, 15:44

A word of advice. If you really want help you need to give as much info as possible. What have you tried?, how have you set up virtualbox?. What architecture etc. You haven't even told us which host you are running. Simply saying "If you want more information please ask" isn't enough. It is easier to just exit the thread than to take time posting and ask for the obvious.

Something like this would have been better.

##################
I am using ubuntu vXxx.xx (kernel version 4.3.4) and trying to boot Porteus-v3.1 32bit in virtual box (version 4.21). I create the virtualbox as 32bit and added the Porteus-v3.1 ISO file. When I boot I get an error about kernel panic and the virtualbox screen stops on a black screen. I've searched google and some places suggest that this is a bug in Virtualbox related to my video card.

--------
My computer specs. Dell X340 AMD Radeon core i7
##################

PS: If you want the exact error message then enter the processor tab in virtualbox and throttle the CPU back to about 7%. This will make the system boot very slow and you should have time to get a screenshot of the virtualbox window when the error appears.

write2diba
White ninja
White ninja

Post#12 by write2diba » 31 Jul 2016, 18:33

brokenman wrote:Simply saying "If you want more information please ask" isn't enough. It is easier to just exit the thread than to take time posting and ask for the obvious.
Sir, with all due respect no one asked me about any thing other than my laptop specifications and it's not possible to understand what information you need if you don't ask for it. From next time I will keep this in mind. :)

Oh yes one more thing I forgot to say. I don't have problem spending time posting all necessary informations which are actually needed. :)

So taking your word of advice these are the detailed Specifications you wanted.....

################################################################

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 - 64 bit(kernel version 4.4.0-28-generic) and trying to boot Porteus-v3.1-i486 in Virtualbox(version 5.0.18). I created the virtualbox as 32-bit and added the Porteus v3.1-i486 ISO file. When I started booting I got an error of Kernel Panic and Virtualbox stops on the error page. I've searched google and till now haven't found any suitable answer for this.

Laptop Specifications are as follows ::
MODEL :: Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBY
PROCESSOR :: Intel Pentium-N3540
HDD :: 500GB
RAM :: 4GB

P.S. :: I tried Porteus-MATE-v3.2rc3-i586 and Porteus-MATE-v3.2rc4-i586 iso files but still no solution.

##################################################################

Here are the Screenshots of my Virtualbox Settings and also the errors
Screenshot 1 : http://www.mediafire.com/view/t8eiuxn8n ... 233641.jpg

Screenshot 2 : http://www.mediafire.com/view/pm296mxbk ... 010248.jpg

P.S. :: I couldn't submit the post because it was giving an error "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." so I posted the url of the image instead. :(

If anymore information is needed please let me know

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 by brokenman » 31 Jul 2016, 19:57

That's awesome!

Can you verify that the rc4 version of Porteus you downloaded has the md5sum: 2614e33fa95fd9faf59aee87f7da16d4
Do this by issuing from a root terminal: md5sum /path/to/Porteus-MATE-v3.2rc4-i586.iso

write2diba
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by write2diba » 01 Aug 2016, 03:22

brokenman wrote:That's awesome!

Can you verify that the rc4 version of Porteus you downloaded has the md5sum: 2614e33fa95fd9faf59aee87f7da16d4
Do this by issuing from a root terminal: md5sum /path/to/Porteus-MATE-v3.2rc4-i586.iso
Yes it is giving the same md5sum as you have mentioned.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#15 by brokenman » 01 Aug 2016, 03:31

Can you update virtualbox to the latest version in ubuntu?

Ideally you could boot into Porteus-rc4 with the 05-devel.xzm and crippled-sources.xzm modules activated, and then run: update-vbox
You can get these modules from the kernel folder on the server. Then try to run the ISO in virtualbox from within Porteus. This will do two things. It will update virtualbox and also be using a different host.