Partition 80GB Hard Drive

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Partition 80GB Hard Drive

Post#1 by Jack » 03 Jul 2016, 15:21

What I want to know cause I have never done it. I install Porteus on that 80GB Hard Drive. Here is my question can I use GParted and partition it like this 10GB for Porteus and 70GB for data storage with out losing the data that all ready on the Hard Drive?
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Re: Partition 80GB Hard Drive

Post#2 by donald » 03 Jul 2016, 16:56

Bear in mind that partitions must be unmounted in order to be modified.
Boot into "copy2ram" or use an external usb-flash / CD.(login=root)

It is very important that you back up all your data before you modify your partitions with GParted.
If all goes well, no data should be lost, but you can never know!

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Jack » 03 Jul 2016, 20:27

Thanks for the info. I have did it and I didn't lose anything. And I did back up every thing.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Jack » 05 Jul 2016, 01:26

Today I did this I took a 8GB USB and I mark it Porteus testing USB. When I want to use it to run a script or testing I use it. And when I build or test I boot up in Always Fresh mode so I have a clean copy of Porteus for what I'm doing.