Persistence problems

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
lobsters15
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Ipad

Persistence problems

Post#1 by lobsters15 » 26 May 2016, 22:34

Perhaps I shouldn't start a new post but as I cannot set up persistence with a save.dat file I thought of setting up a USB stick so persistence is achieved automatically by having Porteus on an ext4 partition. How can I set up a USB stick so that there is an Ext4 partition with Porteus that does not require setting up persistence with save.dat files? I appreciate that there has to be a partition that my PC can boot from (my PC cannot boot from a completely formatted ext4 USB stick).

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: Persistence problems

Post#2 by wread » 01 Jun 2016, 22:26

Hi, lobster15!
From your question I see you are a bit confused about Porteus as live system. Peristence has nothing to do with Ext4 file system, for instance.

If you start Porteus as normal user -not in AF mode- anything you add will go to a permanent folder named "changes", so the next time you start as a normal user again, you will have your changes working again.

I recommend you read the tutorials at Porteus site. There you will get a more detailed explanation how the system works, and the options you have to get your changes working also when you start in always fresh mode.

Regards :)
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!