X server crashing!

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Luke-of-techland
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

X server crashing!

Post#1 by Luke-of-techland » 17 Feb 2016, 04:48

Hey everyone!

I downloaded Porteus the other day, and currently I'm running it on an Intel core duo (no 2) Macbook Pro from 2006 with a mobility Radeon X1600. Well, trying to..

Porteus works great most of the time, but recently the X server has started crashing. When I boot up the machine, the system loads from the flash drive and boots like normal, then when trying to load the x server, it works for about a second (long enough to see a cursor and a black screen), then drops to the command line. I should mention everything works fine in "always fresh" mode.

I got the AMD drivers, but I'm not sure if they're actually in use.

Thanks in advance for any help!

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Re: X server crashing!

Post#2 by roadie » 17 Feb 2016, 06:28

If it works well in Always Fresh mode, and it's happened recently, then something in your changes is causing X to crash....changes you've made or modules you load.

You can look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for error messages. You'll need to do that from the console using either Midnight Commander (mc), or run:

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | less
You can scroll down and use 'q' to quit.

You can also run:

dmesg | less
Which version of Porteus and which desktop are you using?

Luke-of-techland
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Re: X server crashing!

Post#3 by Luke-of-techland » 17 Feb 2016, 07:49

roadie wrote:If it works well in Always Fresh mode, and it's happened recently, then something in your changes is causing X to crash....changes you've made or modules you load.

You can look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for error messages. You'll need to do that from the console using either Midnight Commander (mc), or run:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | less
You can scroll down and use 'q' to quit.

You can also run:

dmesg | less
Which version of Porteus and which desktop are you using?
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering how to get at those logs. I had a look around at both of them, but nothing really seemed out of the ordinary to my untrained eyes. The X server log seems to end with "terminated successfully" though, which doesn't seem like something that's supposed to be happening.

I am running the newest version, (or whatever version the ISO builder is currently serving) and the KDE desktop. I wish I could be more specific but it has now stopped booting entirely. I don't think it's Porteus so much as my (apparently cursed) Macbook.