Driver for old S3 ProSavageDDR

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Driver for old S3 ProSavageDDR

Post#31 by brokenman » 24 Jan 2016, 00:14

In your logs I see this:
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
The (EE) denotes an error passed.

This means that the kernel could not provide /dev/dri
More recent kernels enable KMS (kernel mode setting) by default so you will probably need to disable this by passing an argument to the kernel at boot time. This can be done by hitting the TAB button (non EFI machines only) when you arrive at the blue boot splash screen with the options to choose your boot mode. You can also add the line to the /mnt/sdc1/boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg file if you don't want to type it everytime at the boot menu. The string to add is: nomodeset

Once you get to boot can you please provide the output of: lspci -k
This comand will show a list of pci devices and which kernel module is loaded for the device. Thanks.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

Post#32 by rchase » 24 Jan 2016, 21:01

OK; I booted into text mode, adding "nomodeset" to the cheatcodes first.

"lspci -k" -- I am just at the point of being able to translate this into:
[Insert separate (FAT32) formatted flash.],

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/tmp
lspci -k > lspci-output.txt
I don't want a gold star; just indicating that I am mostly inferring and supposing and do not know the terminal well.

lspci-output.txt:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266 Host Bridge
	Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. Device a003
	Kernel driver in use: agpgart-via
	Kernel modules: via_agp
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
	Kernel modules: shpchp
00:08.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Gateway 7510GX
	Kernel driver in use: wl
	Kernel modules: ssb, wl
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone] (rev 30)
	Subsystem: 3Com Corporation 3C905B Fast Etherlink XL 10/100
	Kernel driver in use: 3c59x
	Kernel modules: 3c59x
00:10.0 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
	Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
	Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:10.1 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
	Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
	Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:10.3 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
	Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 Controller
	Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
	Kernel modules: via_ircc, i2c_viapro
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
	Kernel driver in use: pata_via
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
	Kernel driver in use: snd_via82xx
	Kernel modules: snd_via82xx
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Graphics Ltd. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#33 by rchase » 24 Jan 2016, 21:26

P.S. Did you compile a 32-bit version of the 4.4 LTS kernel? I would try it on this machine (unless it would complicate the diagnosis of video or there is some other reason not to) and I have an older Celeron with onboard graphics working well on Porteus 3.1 XFCE I would upgrade to the new kernel.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#34 by brokenman » 24 Jan 2016, 21:31

So no kernel module is loaded for your graphics card.

Try booting into text mode and then copying the VESA xorg file into the regular xorg files place.

cp -a /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Now see if you can get a desktop. It will be using the vesa driver but at least you will be getting somewhere. The next step is to upgrade/downgrade the xf86-video-savage package. Look on the packages.slackware.com site and search for savage from slackware-13.37. Convert it to a module and put it in your modules folder and reboot. If it doesn't work go for the next slackware version until you reach slackware-current.

You may also want to search google (linux driver savage VT8375) and read the results on editing your xorg.conf file. Good luck.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

aus9

Post#35 by aus9 » 25 Jan 2016, 00:20

rchase

I am going to do a few posts as on another post you suggested you understood my request that you understand mount and you appear to have claimed to have understood and posted some files. page 3 has no files of the type I requested or Bogomips so I look at page 2.
I didn't see how to use Midnight Commander to access the flash drive; it had been mounted first. When I attempted to copy to /dev/sdc1/test, this time I received an error message claiming that /test wasn't a directory. I mounted /dev/sdc1 to /mnt and managed to copy both files to /test; I suppose that the error relates to mount points as opposed to directories, but the directory was both created and accessed as root.
I know you must think I am a hard ass....but can you see why I lack confidence in your understanding. I have quoted without attempting to edit your post so when I read it, it does not inspire me. Let me try be clearer. We mods are here to help but when you are in text mode, it is difficult to help and if you still persist with terms like

When I attempted to copy to /dev/sdc1/test..............I worry on your behalf.

In the same post you then mention you managed to copy the files but I will hope you have now done your homework and realize you can't going mistakes in the text mode OK?

POINT 2....But you do raise one excellent point thru your observations so without trying to spoon feed you....and risk you not understanding......
a mount point is a read point and not necessarily a read/write pathway. If you read my duckduckgo search terms (from the other thread) you know a device becomes accessible to be read by you at a certain point meaning pathway and pathway is /blah/a/blahblah etc

root can always change a mount point to be readable for a device capable of being readable but can't change physical things like burnt cdrs

IMHO you should look at having a second usb stick and learn a sneaky way to mount it when you are in text mode to do things because your graphic setup is so far incomplete
I will give you an example only

We are root and at text mode

(insert spare usb stick)

mount
(check for results for your internal hard drive and then your Porteus/Nemesis (P/N)  stick and then your spare stick)
(if spare stick is not found and assume internal drive is /dev/sda  P/N stick is /dev/sdb the spare will be /dev/sdc)
(lets pretend you have no saved dir on spare stick)
mkdir /mnt/sdc1
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1
mkdir /mnt/sdc1/saved
(test a file)
touch /mnt/sdc1/saved/test
ls -al  /mnt/sdc1/saved/test
(result will be something like -rw-rw-r-- 1 login-name group-name 0 date filename)

and 0 means zero byte size because we created an empty file

Naturally the dir name you choose on a spare usb stick is up to you and I note that you want to use the "root" or top level of the usb stick in some of your previous posts.

Linux does give you that freedom if done as root but it almost reminds of C windows stuff and not my recommendation.

###################
I don't have any fat32/x-fat or any windows format usb sticks so I hope the mount command works "as is" otherwise you may have to mod it if fat32 to something like

mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1

if my previous command fails for you

aus9

Post#36 by aus9 » 25 Jan 2016, 00:38

Ok this post attempts to clean up your 2 files one request from me and one from Bogomips made into clickable text files to most web browers.

As we dont' have post numbers in this forum I will call this the first dropbox post if I need to refer back to it in the future.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e8uddijlkldj ... 1.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfi37wj4fakp4 ... 2.txt?dl=0

I am also brokenman....who is a better expert than me is also posting here and I am reluctant to claim I know better but you can try something if you want?

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#37 by rchase » 25 Jan 2016, 00:40

brokenman wrote:Try booting into text mode and then copying the VESA xorg file into the regular xorg files place.

Will this have a different effect than the "xforcevesa" cheatcode? Never mind; I will try it and see.
You may also want to search google (linux driver savage VT8375) and read the results on editing your xorg.conf file. Good luck.
The very first search result https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=160661 suggests that the LTS kernel is necessary, along with "Option "DisableTile"" in xorg.conf.
Assuming that that is a reference to the same kernel you have been working on, would you please upload your 32-bit module?

Aus9, without claiming that I have acquired the knowledge I should regarding using the terminal, I think I've resolved the problems I was having in obtaining copies of diagnostic files and am ready to proceed; brokenman is assisting, but feel free to chime in. Thanks for your help.

aus9

Post#38 by aus9 » 25 Jan 2016, 01:17

Option "DisableTile
that post claims it did not work I suspect brokenman has already read that post and instead has read something like this one
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=158803

which is marked solved and involved downgrading packages but ....you are on I am a little confused by whether you are now trying Nemesis which might explain your ref to a 32 bit module?

###########################
To save some time? xorg has changed in both Slackware and Manjaro/ArchLinux to a confless xorg which works for most people...alas not you.

2) IMHO we must try a smaller xorg.conf that my first dropbox post first link to remove any reference to a second monitor and second screen

I assume you can copy using another Linux computer a file we can call xorg-test to some dir on a usb stick?

we can then copy it in text mode something like this? after mounting the spare stick

cp -f /mnt/sdc1/saved/xorg-test /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and if this xorg.conf exists....when we try to startx ....the system will attempt to use if if X is not already running. And by being in text mode we know X is not running.

let me know if you understand this please.

I can bodgee up a text file shortly

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#39 by rchase » 25 Jan 2016, 01:31

brokenman wrote:Try booting into text mode and then copying the VESA xorg file into the regular xorg files place.

Now see if you can get a desktop.
It worked! Creating "xorg.conf" followed by "startx" finally brought up a useable desktop! I really did not expect it to -- assumed I'd get the almost-desktop I've seen time and time again. I will proceed according to your outline. Thanks for making this progress possible. 32-bit 4.4 LTS xzm?

Aus9, I am have never tried to load Nemesis on this machine. I was referring to the 32-bit version of the v4.4 LTS kernel for Porteus brokenman offered to compile and upload. This ancient Celeron/S3 ProsavageDDR is a 32-bit machine. You are right; I edited my post to remove the enthusiasm; that first search result was germane, but not conclusive.
Last edited by rchase on 25 Jan 2016, 03:14, edited 2 times in total.

aus9

Post#40 by aus9 » 25 Jan 2016, 01:36

oops no I can't the dropbox second link fails to find any fonts.
[ 82.232] (**) FontPath set to:

[ 82.232] (**) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
^^ Meaning no fonts found! or not set.

I need you when you get a chance reboot into text mode and paste the ouput of the command and change pathway to suit....this might be a sneaky way for me to know I have your full confidence but it never crossed my mind :D

ls -al /usr/share/fonts > /mnt/sdc1/saved/fonts.txt
2) then run the command again but just as ls -al /usr/share/fonts and we may find you have only one ?
/usr/share/fonts/TTF

pretending that is the case now in text mode do this

mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/TTF
and please post the contents of that fonts.txt in a quote box as it should be small

aus9

Post#41 by aus9 » 25 Jan 2016, 01:44

leaping ahead I have to go out for a while and may not respond to that request so assuming you can get the fonts dir enabled here is my first attempt to give you a simple xorg.conf in a code box

copy and paste the contents and name it xorg-test please

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier     "X.org Configured"
Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "Monitor0"
VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Card0"
Driver      "savage"
BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "UseBios" "no" 
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device     "Card0"
Monitor    "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     24
EndSubSection
EndSection

aus9

Post#42 by aus9 » 25 Jan 2016, 01:59

forgot to mention ensure you have a copy of your vesa xorg sitting in the usb stick

if things go pear shaped you can do a warm reboot and use text mode copy from usb stick

I suggest to reduce typing in text mode you rename contents of the xorg files to
xorg-vesa
xorg-test

and at any point in time the /etc/X11/xorg.conf will have only one contents matching either one named?

cp /mnt/sdc1/saved/xorg-vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf
is what I am thinking....if you need to recover to vesa.....assuming mine failed

###############
extra

can you post the contents of your working "vesa" xorg.conf please

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#43 by rchase » 25 Jan 2016, 03:57

I am posting this from the S3 ProSavageDDR machine.

xorg.conf (xorg.conf-vesa):

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier     "X.org Configured"
Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Mouse0"
Driver      "mouse"
Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Card0"
Driver      "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device     "Card0"
Monitor    "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Last edited by rchase on 25 Jan 2016, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#44 by rchase » 25 Jan 2016, 05:06

Having put xf86-video-savage-2.3.2-i486-1.xzm in /porteus/modules and rebooted (leaving "nomodeset" in the cheatcodes for graphics mode and leaving the copy of xorg.conf-vesa as xorg.conf in /etc/X11) the desktop seems as though it may be more responsive and I don't see "(EE)" in /var/log/Xorg.0.conf -- is my S3 working?

rchase
Shogun
Shogun

Post#45 by rchase » 25 Jan 2016, 05:51

I renamed xorg.conf in /porteus/changes/etc/X11 to something else and rebooted successfully in graphics mode with only "nomodeset" added to the cheatcodes.

root@porteus:~# lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: S3 Graphics Ltd. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] [5333:8d04] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. Device [1106:a003]
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
	Memory at eb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
	Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
	[virtual] Expansion ROM at ea000000 [disabled] [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [80] AGP version 2.0
Is my S3 working correctly?

P.S. My PC speaker seems to be sporadically clicking -- what might be causing this?