New laptop- yeah. porteus doesn't boot - blah

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Re: New laptop- yeah. porteus doesn't boot - blah

Post#31 by Jack » 30 Dec 2015, 07:16

@ Ed_P, Did that laptop come with Windows 10? If it did Microsoft might have something to do with it. It could be in the computer bios that doing it. Just a thought. Microsoft wants every computer to have Windows 10 on it. What I heard they want to spy on us or our government. That why Windows 10 is FREE.

I can't even boot my Windows 7 up any more without trying to do a upgrade to it. I have a restore disk of my Windows 7 and when it starts to upgrade it. I just do a restore to it. FYI I made my backup Dec 18 2015. I had to restore it 1 time now.

Jack
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#32 by brokenman » 30 Dec 2015, 17:39

@brokenman may need to look at this link?
Thanks. Firmware is already present but I will update it from this source.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#33 by Ed_P » 31 Dec 2015, 01:20

roadie wrote:Thats great news Ed_P.....you're gonna love MC, it's very handy to have in a console. Now, F3 should open a file for viewing, F4 will allow editing. You should be able to view /var/log/Xorg.0.log and possibly see why it's not running X.
Well not lovin it so far. Can't get to the top menu items. F3 & F4 don't work.

No Xorg log. ls /var/log/ and I was logged in as root.

Code: Select all

ConsoleKit/
btmp
debug
dmesg
faillog
lastlog
maillog
packages/
porteus-livedbg
removed_packages/
removed_scripts/
scripts/
secure
setup/
spooler
syslog
wtmp
While you're in the console, run some commands, you might get some info.....dmesg is good....ifconfig...
dmesg is HUGE. Any grep search string that would help pull useful information out?

ifconfig not showing the Wi-Fi connection.

Code: Select all

eth0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether b0:5a:da:a9:1b:b9  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 0  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
roadie wrote:Not sure why MC isn't working as usual.....you're using the F3 function key, right? Not a cap F and 3
:D Yes, I am using the function keys not cap F and 3. :D
You can also run "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | less" and scroll through it and hit "q" to get out.
Interesting. Enter scrolls down, what key scrolls up?
Jack wrote:@ Ed_P, Did that laptop come with Windows 10? If it did Microsoft might have something to do with it.
It did and I doubt it. :) I did have to disable the Secure Boot option, which was expected.
What I heard they want to spy on us or our government. That why Windows 10 is FREE.
Don't believe everything you hear. MS is just looking to make money selling us things we took for granted, like MS games, to display ads when we do things that are free, like play MS games online.
I can't even boot my Windows 7 up any more without trying to do a upgrade to it.
I upgraded my Win 7 system to Win 10 and I like it. All my apps and settings and favorites and etc are still there. The start menu is the only thing different and not like Win 8 so I like it.
I made my backup Dec 18 2015. I had to restore it 1 time now.
EXCELLENT Jack. So many people don't. You'll be happy to know Win 10 can restore Win 7 image backups. And creates backups using the Win 7 backup app. Since you have a backup, I suggest you try the Win 10 upgrade and if you don't like it, do your restore again. ;-)
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#34 by Jack » 31 Dec 2015, 01:50

Ed_P I have all ready install Windows 10 back when it first came out and I didn't like it. The last good Windows was 7 and before that was XP. Tonight I found out I can run 64bit Linux on my very old Laptop. What I don't know is what is "EFI" or what is it used for?
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#35 by brokenman » 31 Dec 2015, 03:11

If your function keys aren't working take a look in the bios. Some have a setting to disable the function keys in order to use the media keys by default. Mine does.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#36 by Ed_P » 31 Dec 2015, 05:09

Jack wrote: What I don't know is what is "EFI" or what is it used for?
It replaces the BIOS's functions in new machines. And remember, Google is your friend. :)
brokenman wrote: Mine does.
And apparently mine does also. And to use the Fx keys as Fx keys I have to hold down the Fn key when using them. That's how I got F3 & F4 to work with MC. Thanks brokenman. :good:
Ed