consistent mounting of disks

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

consistent mounting of disks

Post#1 by rych » 30 Nov 2015, 13:12

I'd like to have my host system disk that is labelled "Windows" (there is always such a disk) to be always mounted on /mnt/sda1. Where do I edit the way Porteus mounts disks making it use /dev/disk/by-label/Windows?

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: consistent mounting of disks

Post#2 by Rava » 24 Dec 2015, 13:54

Like almost all Linux systems, Porteus mounts the partitions the same way they are physical named, e.g. /dev/sda1 will mounted as /mnt/sda1.

Just ask fdisk -l how the disks and partitions are sorted in a currently running Linux.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: consistent mounting of disks

Post#3 by Ed_P » 24 Dec 2015, 15:42

rych wrote:I'd like to have my host system disk that is labelled "Windows" (there is always such a disk) to be always mounted on /mnt/sda1. Where do I edit the way Porteus mounts disks making it use /dev/disk/by-label/Windows?
While Windows sees only the partitions it is meant to see, Linux/Porteus sees all of the partitions on the hard drive and on almost all systems bought in the past 10 yrs there are hidden partitions before the Windows partition. Vendor recovery partitions and then Windows system partitions come first so the Windows partition in Linux is usually sda2 or sda3.

If you want the Windows partition to be sda1 you need to repartition the hard drive and switch to a version of Windows that doesn't require a hidden reserve partition for it's BCD file or UEFI system.
Ed