Modules and performance

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
tmsg
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: arch, mx, porteus

Modules and performance

Post#1 by tmsg » 28 Nov 2015, 17:41

Now that I have Porteus+VirtualBox-on-a-stick up and running, I'm looking into tying some loose ends. Here are two questions but I'm afraid more will follow:-)

1. Number of modules in /modules and overall performance : does the module concept scale well, ie is a Porteus install with say, 30 modules in /modules almost as fast as a Porteus install with only 5? If there's a significant performance hit, it'd probably make sense to merge modules into one or more bigger modules packs (I've just found mergexzm, a script which does that... this actually triggered that question). Perhaps there's even a practical upper limit for the number of modules.

2. Is the save.dat file basically structured like a module? If so, I could clean it up and move the whole thing (or those parts that do not change) to /modules. In what sequence are those modules loaded?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Modules and performance

Post#2 by Ed_P » 28 Nov 2015, 18:12

I have 20 modules in a separate Modules folder that I add via the extramods= cheatcode. Many are small, >10 KB. My biggest are Wine and my Wine apps which are about 500 KB total and I usually leave them off the flash drives.

If you rename your save.dat file to save.dat.xzm and include it with the extramods= cheatcode when you boot all your changes will present and no further changes will be saved. A good way to demo Porteus to friends or let the grandkids use it. :D
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 28 Nov 2015, 18:56

1. ... does the module concept scale well
Yes. You can put hunreds of modules in there. Boot time may suffer a little but you are only limited by RAM or 1023 aufs branches.

2 ... Yes a .dat file is the same structure as a module. While in a live session you may also save that session as a module using porteus-settings-centre.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

tmsg
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: arch, mx, porteus

Post#4 by tmsg » 29 Nov 2015, 11:58

Thanks, folks. Really appreciate that.

One small thing remains: in what order are modules from /modules (or extramod= folders) loaded? The naming scheme in /base seems to imply that it's based on alphanumerical sorting though I am not totally sure of that being the case for all module folders.
Ed_P wrote:f you rename your save.dat file to save.dat.xzm and include it with the extramods= cheatcode when you boot all your changes will present and no further changes will be saved.
That's a nifty idea. I sometimes use Always fresh mode to test something and wish I could have some of my bits and pieces in place (mostly bash related aliases and configs). So if I save (a subset of) save.dat to a module, put that into some folder and add an extramod= cheatcode to Always fresh... voila!

The more I see the more I like Porteus. Great stuff.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 29 Nov 2015, 15:22

The order is: base/modules/extramods/rootcopy
The order is alphanumerical.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.