How to collect files for a module

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
tmsg
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: arch, mx, porteus

How to collect files for a module

Post#1 by tmsg » 27 Nov 2015, 17:27

I've just installed the latest version of Palemoon on my P64 build. Pleased to say that it went w/o a hitch. Next, I wanted to convert the whole beast into a module. In principle I have an idea how to do that: identify the files that were created during the install, copy them into a temp directory in /tmp and convert this temp directory into a module. I did so and the resulting module seems to work fine (I tested that with a second install of Porteus).

The creation of that module was pretty straightforward but only because the Palemoon website lists the files that get installed, so I knew where to look and what to look for. However, what about the general case when I've installed something and have no clear idea what files got copied into which directories?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: How to collect files for a module

Post#2 by brokenman » 27 Nov 2015, 18:30

All slackware compliant packages have a file list in /var/log/packages
For anything else you can try: find /mnt/live/memory/changes -mmin 3 <-- find changes in files in the last 3 minutes.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#3 by Bogomips » 27 Nov 2015, 18:35

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ lsxzm
Usage: lsxzm /path/to/specific/module.xzm
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

tmsg
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by tmsg » 28 Nov 2015, 14:48

brokenman wrote:All slackware compliant packages have a file list in /var/log/packages
For anything else you can try: find /mnt/live/memory/changes -mmin 3 <-- find changes in files in the last 3 minutes.
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
I've been trying to find a precompiled Slackware package for kdiff3 but so far I haven't succeeded, so I will have to build from source.

tmsg
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by tmsg » 03 Dec 2015, 18:01

There's also this: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=132

This shows a script that saves recent changes into a directory. Have not yet tried it but it looks good.