could someone explain this, please

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

could someone explain this, please

Post#1 by wacojohn » 03 Nov 2015, 13:52

I have another thread open. It starts with:
Running 32 bit Porteus ... as of yesterday. Hoping it can run Boinc. If so, can someone tell me where to get it and how to install it? Thank you ... very much .. in advance.
An expert is helping me with it ... but I have a couple of questions. 186 posts and 2 months later, we are still not there. This is not a complaint. The help has been phenomenal and I appreciate it immensely.

Here are the questions ... true or false:

BOINC in a ready made module does not exist. It has to be developed into one. This is what is taking so long and is so arduous. T F

Once done, there WILL be a ready made module which most anyone can use STRAIGHT AWAY. T F

Once done, I can reinstall a frugal Porteus install, and use this module straight away ... because in using this machine for development, I think it is somewhat junked up and would like to 'start clean'. T F

The tips and tricks page says:
Manage your packages and modules from the GUI

File managers (caja/thunar/dolphin/pcmanfm-qt) have extra service menus specific to Porteus only. All you need to do is right click on a certain file type to get an option for an extra action:
- folders: you can build a Porteus module from it
- modules: you can extract it to a folder; mount it to a folder (same function as 'mloop' utility)
- tgz/txz slackware packages: you can convert it to xzm; install/uninstall directly to/from live system
- rpm packages: convert to xzm
- deb packages: convert to xzm
IF BOINC were downloadable as a .deb (and I don't know that it is) .... would what we have been doing for 2 months been necessary?

Thank you in advance.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: could someone explain this, please

Post#2 by Ed_P » 03 Nov 2015, 21:35

wacojohn wrote:186 posts and 2 months later, we are still not there. This is not a complaint. The help has been phenomenal and I appreciate it immensely.
Your last couple of posts would seem to imply otherwise John.
Here are the questions ... true or false:

BOINC in a ready made module does not exist. It has to be developed into one.
T F
T
This is what is taking so long and is so arduous.
F
Once done, there WILL be a ready made module which most anyone can use STRAIGHT AWAY.
T F
F
Once done, I can reinstall a frugal Porteus install, and use this module straight away ... because in using this machine for development, I think it is somewhat junked up and would like to 'start clean'.
T F
T
The tips and tricks page says:
Manage your packages and modules from the GUI

File managers (caja/thunar/dolphin/pcmanfm-qt) have extra service menus specific to Porteus only. All you need to do is right click on a certain file type to get an option for an extra action:
- folders: you can build a Porteus module from it
- modules: you can extract it to a folder; mount it to a folder (same function as 'mloop' utility)
- tgz/txz slackware packages: you can convert it to xzm; install/uninstall directly to/from live system
- rpm packages: convert to xzm
- deb packages: convert to xzm
IF BOINC were downloadable as a .deb (and I don't know that it is) .... would what we have been doing for 2 months been necessary?
Possibly not.
Ed

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#3 by Bogomips » 03 Nov 2015, 22:16

Ed_P wrote:
Once done, there WILL be a ready made module which most anyone can use STRAIGHT AWAY.
T F
F
Boinc module has been offered since 27 Sep 2015 in i486 xzm modules
Ed_P wrote:
Once done, I can reinstall a frugal Porteus install, and use this module straight away ... because in using this machine for development, I think it is somewhat junked up and would like to 'start clean'.
T F
T
OP already has a frugal install which has been cleaned up. Also size of changes folder reduced from 762 MB to 23 MB.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Post#4 by wacojohn » 05 Nov 2015, 20:58

If so, can someone tell me where to get it and how to install it?
The correct answer should have been:
NO