FAA Problems with HP ProBook 430

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
raffe
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.0

FAA Problems with HP ProBook 430

Post#1 by raffe » 02 Oct 2015, 07:03

Hi!

I am expiriencing some problems with porteus on a HP probook 430.

First here si what i do:

I am a teacher at a High school i Sweden. we are using porteus on an USB-pendrive to write tests and assessment without access to the internet and saved documents.
My configuration worked fine on a Siemens-Fujitsu Lifebook S701 (and some similiar models).
After the summer we changed to HP Probook 430 for the students (we provide a loptop to every student).

My configuration work on most off the computers but not all:

- It seems to start slower as on the Fujitsu Lifebook
- on some machine i only get the toolbar of Libreoffice but not the text.
- The keyboard layout is wrong. (I swedish we use ö å ä). Same Pendrive work on other machines of same type.

Unfortunately i don't have such a model at hand right now to do extended testing. I experienced the problems this morning the first time.

What i need are some ideas where to look at, where to search.

Best Regards
Ralf

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: FAA Problems with HP ProBook 430

Post#2 by francois » 02 Oct 2015, 17:55

Welcome to porteus raffe. Some developer should come by. It you want to search now try googling with your computer model name and the key words slackware or Linux.

Thanks.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 02 Oct 2015, 20:22

- It seems to start slower as on the Fujitsu Lifebook
Yes the newer computer is i7. Faster.

- on some machine i only get the toolbar of Libreoffice but not the text.
Which machine?

- The keyboard layout is wrong. (I swedish we use ö å ä). Same Pendrive work on other machines of same type.
Are you saving changes on the problem computer? Please boot into always fresh mode to test.

Different results on same model computers is rather strange. Please check if changes are being saved.
How much RAM do the problem computers have?
What modules are loaded when the system boots? (ls /mnt/live/memory/images)
It would be nice to get a system information dump of the trouble machine. You can do this in porteus settings centre and upload the information to pastebin then link to it here. Thanks.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

raffe
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by raffe » 02 Oct 2015, 21:04

Thanks for the replies!

I got the problems only on the new HP machine. The old Fujitsu, about three year old run without problems.

As soon I can lay hand on on of the troubled machine I'll come back with some dumps and logfiles.

The machine have 4GB RAM and an i3 not 7.

In some cases it helped to change to another USB and reboot. I wonder if the quality of the pendrive may be an issue. Verbatim Store n go. 4GB.
We bougtht a large amount, about 500 and payed round about 1.25$ for it. Can cheap USB memory have timing problems so that not all packages are loaded and unpacked correctly?

Back soon and hanks for the help
Ralf

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Problems with HP ProBook 430

Post#5 by francois » 03 Oct 2015, 01:38

New machines with i3!!

Is this a sale of old hardware, that hp could not use otherwise? :wink:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

raffe
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by raffe » 03 Oct 2015, 06:52

Yes, but an i3 is sufficient for most of the student.
Highschool in Sweden is free of charge and that includes everthing. Books, pen, paper, food, calculator (TI84 or 82) and and a laptop for every student. For our town we talk about 5500 highschool students. So you choose a cheap one.
For some text i Word and surfing on the internet it is more than enough. But I give lessons in programming for some students, others do CAD. A nightmare.
:wall:

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#7 by fanthom » 03 Oct 2015, 07:33

Hello Ralf,

It seems to start slower as on the Fujitsu Lifebook
Please make a video (using smartphone) of booting process from two laptops so we can compare. Could be a kernel bug so we also need an output of the 'psinfo' command run on the HP laptop.

on some machine i only get the toolbar of Libreoffice but not the text.
Please show us photo of this issue.

The keyboard layout is wrong. (I swedish we use ö å ä). Same Pendrive work on other machines of same type.
Do you mean that the same pendrive works on some HP laptops but not other units? Please show me output of:

Code: Select all

setxkbmap -query
which is run on the laptop which is affected by this bug.

Can cheap USB memory have timing problems so that not all packages are loaded and unpacked correctly?
Rather not. will give you more answers once you provide debug log generated by 'psinfo' command. Of course you must generate it on the laptop which is in the failing state.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

aus9

Post#8 by aus9 » 05 Feb 2016, 00:15

OP started a new thread but IMHO it appears to belong to this thread.
raffe wrote:Graphic Card Issue?

I am expiriencing some problems with porteus on a HP probook 430. I am guessing its teh video card driver.

First here is what i do:

I am a teacher at a High school i Sweden. we are using porteus on an USB-pendrive to write tests and assessment without access to the internet and saved documents.
My configuration worked fine on a Siemens-Fujitsu Lifebook S701 and on most of the HP Probook 430 vi have here at school.
But a few computers show a shattered screen Image and start very slow.
My guess is that HP delivered models with different hardware.

Has someone a hint what i should lock for in log files, Error messages or what ever?

With Kind Regards
Ralf

aus9

Post#9 by aus9 » 05 Feb 2016, 00:28

I would expect fanthom and brokenman to provide better analysis than myself but something simple since your new merged post suggests different hardware.

Most laptops have a sticker or plate on bottom of laptop with model information

please show model as per plate for working laptop
please show model or models for non-working laptops

2) You do not appear to have replied to some of the other questions so does that mean they have been resolved?

3) Do you have a file sharing site you can upload logs to .....like dropbox etc?

For the working laptop upload and link its /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or it might be called /var/log/Xorg.log)
For the working laptop open a terminal and type the command

lspci -vvv
copy and paste your VGA info into a code box in reply please

I will show you a snip of mine so you know that it shows

aus9 stuff not OP
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8534
	snip
	Kernel modules: i915

raffe
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by raffe » 10 Feb 2016, 08:57

Sorry I am late with my reply but I could get hands on an failing computers först today.

Things are getting more weird. lspci oand thr Xorg.log doesn't show any ( in my opinion) ansual. i placed a zip with log and som pic here http://193.183.196.18/4711/logs_raffe.zip .

The system is very slow but i yoy have patience and wait it starts working. I added two pic of the output of top. when the computer is slow and normal.
slow means the icons on the desktop drop in 1 by one with long pauses, a switch between text and graphic ( CTRL-ALT-F2) takes some time.
I takes about 10-12 minutes till the sytem is ready to work. But if i have a copy2ram as boot parameter it takes about 3 minutes.

when I delete my additional packages it starts much faster. Heres what i did:

I downloaded the desktop version (3.0) from porteus with libreOffice and mate.
made some changes, collected alla touched files and put it in an extra xzm-package
Had to add in the a 4kB xzm with some minor but neccessary change. Did had the time to repack all.
Named the packages i way to make they are load as the last packages.

My additional packages can be found here
http://193.183.196.18/4711/006-prefs.xzm , http://193.183.196.18/4711/099-prefs.xzm

In total nine packages are loaded, 393MB .

In my understanding off the package system everythings is loaded and if there is the same file i two packages the last one overwrites the first one.

Or am I doing something wrong here? to may packages? 393MB to much?

The really weird thing is that the computers we bought summer 2014 are working fine, there is not one with the behaviour above.
About 10% of the computers we bought last summer show this.

Thanks for your help and patience
Ralf

aus9

Post#11 by aus9 » 11 Feb 2016, 00:14

I have marked this post For Admin Attention but still note there appears to be some questions posed not yet answered by the Original Poster.