[Solved] Can't play ANY videos in Firefox

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
w.ogg.le
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.5.0

[Solved] Can't play ANY videos in Firefox

Post#1 by w.ogg.le » 23 Sep 2015, 09:21

Hi, first post here - I've been building a HTML5 interactive for deployment on a Porteus kiosk, an Intel NUC running the latest version (as far as I'm aware.) I've been testing it with the HTML5 site being served off a local machine using XAMPP, and navigating to it in Porteus's Firefox by just entering the XAMPP machine's IP address. (Sorry if superfluous detail, not sure what may/may not be affecting things.)

Site behaves normally, JS interactions and CSS3 transitions etc. are fine, but my test videos (all .ogg or .webm format as I was advised to use for this system) won't play. Initially assumed problem with test videos - but neither will any videos on external sites (Youtube, Dailymotion, pages of test clips for HTML5 video, etc., etc.) regardless of whether they're OGG, MP4 or WebM. I've read several forum threads here on similar problems, like this one - http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=4094 - and reproduced the advice given, but no result.

I've also tested in Chrome, and everything works absolutely fine, videos and all. However, client has requested Firefox, as Chrome doesn't support Porteus's UI-hiding features. Could anyone advise how to get video working? I'll be happy to be told it's something I'm doing wrong!
Last edited by w.ogg.le on 25 Sep 2015, 22:29, edited 2 times in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Can't play ANY videos in Firefox

Post#2 by fanthom » 23 Sep 2015, 12:31

Hello w.ogg.le,

Is the website public? If yes then pleas post the URL here or send it to support@porteus-kiosk.org so i can test it myself.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

w.ogg.le
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by w.ogg.le » 23 Sep 2015, 12:51

Unfortunately not, I don't have a public address for it yet. But if you can test, say, http://techslides.com/sample-webm-ogg-a ... -for-html5 on a Porteus in Firefox, and any of it works, please let me know what config you're running and I'll see where mine went wrong.

I checked my Firefox version on the Porteus and it said 38, if that helps.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 23 Sep 2015, 14:29

I'm fairly sure that videos from this site played ok as i have used it for testing. Will double check this in the evening.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Arch, Porteus-Nemesis 3.5

Post#5 by datruche » 24 Sep 2015, 01:33

Webm and Ogg versions from http://techslides.com/sample-webm-ogg-a ... -for-html5 play without a glitch on my brand new and default Porteus-3.1-x86_64 witout any update or additional modules than the few chosen at build.porteus.org . The other formats open a dialog to be saved, as the base distro I have has no video player installed yet.

Bare Firefox mobile "Fennec" does support MP4/h264, not the desktop version, for copyright and royalties issues with proprietary formats/consortiums.
One can install totem-mozplugin to play MP4 and quicktime videos into Firefox. That way it even works fine on the Firefox 18 that stands in the excellent Fedora 16 we have on a old little Acer Netbook.

w.ogg.le
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by w.ogg.le » 24 Sep 2015, 01:37

Thanks Datruche - that narrows things down a bit, and has reminded me that I didn't do the actual build myself and have no idea what was/wasn't enabled. I'm wondering if the technician who gave me the build (ISO'd on a USB) might have selected some of the wrong options. I'll chase him up about that.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Arch, Porteus-Nemesis 3.5

Post#7 by datruche » 24 Sep 2015, 02:15

You're very welcome. Web dev for all is quite a job and if you succeed after eating lots of sh**, you're a boss :implication:

Checked on Porteus: All the video unsupported (proprietary formats) embedded actually play well in mplayer which is installed by default in Desktop Porteus 3.1 (someone shout if I'm wrong please!)

Default packages with XFCE 64bit and modules Firefox, Abiword :
Firefox EST 31
MPlayer SVN-r36573-4.8.2 , GNOME MPlayer v1.0.8
flashplayer-plugin-11.2.202.425

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 24 Sep 2015, 07:00

@w.ogg.le

As i wrote before - webm/ogg videos plays perfectly well here (tested in VirtualBox):
http://porteus-kiosk.org/public/Testing ... _test.webm

Maybe your issue is related to the GPU driver or missing sound in kiosk?
Please install the kiosk with debug mode enabled and send me system report on support@porteus-kiosk.org

Thank you.

w.ogg.le
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by w.ogg.le » 24 Sep 2015, 15:49

@fanthom: Ah, not to worry, it's sorted itself out. The techie who set me up with the unit had instructed me to hold off on the actual ISO installation, and just use the "browser" option mid-wizard to test everything out, which I had been. After the problem was described, he got back to me and told me to take the unit all the way through installation this time, and turn on file access, Flash and Java. I did, and OGG/WebM video now plays fine.

Not sure whether it was the features he got me to enable, or just that it wouldn't work properly until the installation had been finalized - I'll work that out by elimination next time he puts a new ISO in the unit, as this was the test copy (hence why he didn't want it finalized unless necessary.)

If the debug log is any use to you for internal purposes, I can still send it if you'd like? Thanks again for the help.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#10 by fanthom » 24 Sep 2015, 17:03

OK - good.

Please send me debug report anyway as i would like to have PC specs of your NUC as seen by kiosk.
Just in case one have hardware issue in the future, etc ...

Thank you.

w.ogg.le
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by w.ogg.le » 25 Sep 2015, 22:28

Sure! Report's been sent. Thanks again!