long file name support

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
lemming
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: nimblex slax dsl4m tiny slitaz

long file name support

Post#1 by lemming » 16 Sep 2015, 04:32

I suddenly seem to recollect I have seen this addressed, however my forum search
appears not to return a significant amount of pertinent results. Essentially, my question has to do with something I thought I have seen along the lines of "some distributions disable [reiserfs]'s support for long file names. My question then would be, does porteus do this as well.

For example, [trying to] download a certain youtube video fails, apparently because the file name is too long, even though it works in more mainstream distros, even on reiser [which I thought had long filename supprt]. At the same time, I am using mate ([because] pluma [from before I found out it has anything to do with the fruits that get worms]), so it is possible that this is the cause. [I am loath to test other deskop managers because they hang my antiquated system {celeron}]

I think creating a directory with a long name [even on reiser] fails as well.
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa’: File name too long
I thought reiser had unlimited length filename support?

To rephrase, is it possible to take advantage of reisers long filename support on porteus? clearly Im missing something

thanks

PS maybe just a link to any earlier fix would do, or a pointer to how to find it

PPS Im happy to send you the link to the particular youtube video in question, if necessary

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: long file name support

Post#2 by francois » 17 Sep 2015, 01:07

Often google or duck to go will provide better results than the search function of the porteus forum. With francois long file name porteus, you get it:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4710
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

lemming
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by lemming » 18 Sep 2015, 11:13

Thanks

Turns out you are correct. Youtube video filename did indeed contain spaces and foreign characters, which apparently transliterate to either an excessively long filename or 'long filename error.'

solution is:

Code: Select all

youtube-dl --restrict-filenames [URL...] 
Incidentally, I tried to send you an email. Did you get a chance to see it? What do you think.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#4 by francois » 18 Sep 2015, 11:50

@lemming:

Welcome to porteus forum. I hope you will enjoy your stay.

I did not received your message. I do not understand why. It is good that our discussions stay public for the benefit of the community, Everyone is eager to learn more about linux long file names. This is the rationale of forii (forum latin plural).

In fact, personally I would just use the experimental approach, trial and error to see if your understanding of long filename stands the road. Report your results, we will be happy to read them. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

lemming
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by lemming » 21 Sep 2015, 12:58

Kind of a long post there. Life story. hope you like to read

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 21 Sep 2015, 16:34

Please resend any message I may have missed. I was absent for a while over March-July.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

lemming
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by lemming » 24 Sep 2015, 02:12

Code: Select all

Manpages

Manpage: ____________________ go

no such man page: reiserfs
hmm :unknown: :unknown:

Obviously, you just do a search for 'man reiser' on duckduckgo or similar. The reason I mention it here is because I am wondering since obviously man pages exist on the internet, why the porteus man page server doesnt include it. Although those are all for mkfs.reiser and similar.

Given [FreeBSD] has a man page for loader [man loader(8), I believe] it just surprises me theres no man page. Obviously at the same time if reisers no longer under development theres not much chance of new documentation. Maybe it was one of those 'if you want support you have to pay for it type of deals.'

At the same time, if you promise long file name support and don't deliver, why should anyone pay. Especially if they're just a back door for nefarious spying interests that may or may not be nsa branded.

On the other hand, I thought the reiser team had decided to re-engage?

lemming
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by lemming » 16 Nov 2015, 16:04

Hello again.

Is it me or has this thread been edited?

I appreciate the touch-up but you also cut out the place brokenman said I should post the info about the fundraising. If thats still legit if you could repost that again Id appreciate it.

Thanks again

Incidentally Im still curious who the kid in the red truck with the black canopy talking on his phone while running the red light that almost hit us was.

aus9

Post#9 by aus9 » 16 Nov 2015, 23:09

Essentially, my question has to do with something I thought I have seen along the lines of "some distributions disable [reiserfs]'s support for long file names
Others here may be more polite than me, but let help you....please consider move away from that format and move to ext4
reiserfs development ended in 2008 when this happened: quote]
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost4620872

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#10 by brokenman » 17 Nov 2015, 00:33

Looks like something is missing ... for example I don't see anything resembling a life story there. If you can report the fundraising thing I am all ears.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.