boinc???

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Re: boinc???

Post#16 by wacojohn » 08 Sep 2015, 13:44

Bogomips wrote:Tried to give a brief explanation of the system, which can be expanded upon by you when you have learnt the ropes. However IMHO it is at your stage of 'OK have installed Porteus, what now?', that needs documentation. Basically something which Newbies can refer to as they grope their way along. For me it was to get the essential apps going: favourite text editor, filemanager, browser, word processor of choice.

There is quite a bit of information on the web page, but have tended to go round in circles when wished to look up something. Now using Info > Tips and Tricks, as makeshift table of contents, which tends to serve me well.
I am looking forward to contributing. One might ask .. 'how can you write documentation on something you don't know much about?' .. and the answer is "Engineers, technicians, etc give me the instructions, and I write it for end users/consumers/etc." I am good at it.

This brings us to the perfect 'beginning' ... obtaining and installing Porteus. I have the CD standing by. Shall I install to HD as I did the first time or hold off??

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#17 by Bogomips » 08 Sep 2015, 15:49

I say, set up Porteus the way you did the first time. Make jottings along the way. Learning by doing :wink: If you do not like what you have done, you can always redo it or try another way. Using modules, one is free to experiment, and find which kind of setup is the best fit. So take the plunge. Anything you don't understand, look first under Newbie Questions. Ask naive questions in Newbie Questions. Programming questions like scripts and languages in Programming, and questions of difficult nature in General Chat. Do not hesitate to ask. :)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#18 by wacojohn » 08 Sep 2015, 17:41

Booted up CD built for 32-bit, BIOS system, GUI boot mode, XFCE, correct time zone, UTC , left ADVANCED SETTINGS default except for account INFO and turned on FSCK, no word processor, no VOIP, no development tools, NVIDIA video, and no printing support.

Ran GPARTED and deleted all partitions. Created new sda1 partition (EXT3) using all of HD except for 1GB ... and made that swap. Ran Porteus Installer and I think ... hope ... am ready to Boinc.

I will concentrate on tutorial .. after I get this Boinc thing done .. it is a matter of priorities. I figure a tutorial on exactly what I am doing may not interest anyone ... PLUS I (finally) read tips and tricks ... shoulda done that in the beginning. If the website would bring that more to the forefront ... and make visitors READ it, perhaps a tutorial is not needed at all. I will be glad to do one ... based on my experiences ... but seems most of it is there if a noob like me will read it.

Still need help from you on a BOINC module .... at least. I appreciate what you are doing ... immeasurably.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#19 by Bogomips » 08 Sep 2015, 21:44

wacojohn wrote:Booted up CD built for 32-bit, BIOS system, GUI boot mode, XFCE, correct time zone, UTC , left ADVANCED SETTINGS default except for account INFO and turned on FSCK, no word processor, no VOIP, no development tools, NVIDIA video, and no printing support.

Ran GPARTED and deleted all partitions. Created new sda1 partition (EXT3) using all of HD except for 1GB ... and made that swap. Ran Porteus Installer and I think ... hope ... am ready to Boinc.
Read somewhere in one of the posts, that swap should be three times the amount of available ram, for what reason I can't remember. Another thing to bear in mind is ext2 for big files like video files which are just written the once, as there is no journalling so there can be saving on space. Journalling useful on partitions where there is a lot of i/o going on.
wacojohn wrote:I figure a tutorial on exactly what I am doing may not interest anyone ...
Would be a matter of opinion. Will be interesting to see what you write.
wacojohn wrote:PLUS I (finally) read tips and tricks ... shoulda done that in the beginning. If the website would bring that more to the forefront ... and make visitors READ it, perhaps a tutorial is not needed at all. I will be glad to do one ... based on my experiences ... but seems most of it is there if a noob like me will read it.
Maybe it all needs to be laid out better. Had quite a time trying to find the system requirements yesterday. IMHO requirements should come straight after the introduction of what Porteus is.
wacojohn wrote:Still need help from you on a BOINC module .... at least.
Now, before I go about making a module, just try out the copy and pastes I gave you in my second post. Just do it as if you were a computer. There is not much chance of damaging any vital files, should you get something wrong. If you are successful you will have made a module. :)

Also cttan has posted something which I don't quite understand:
cttan wrote:I am using 64 bit Porteus and require these 2 dependencies:-
This needs clarification, in as much as what has so far been done to require these dependencies. A step by step account would be much appreciated. :unknown:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#20 by wacojohn » 08 Sep 2015, 22:20

I just hope I have it right at this point. Not clear on FRESH .. and some other things. I of course lean to what I know ... Lubuntu. Am I now more or less "installed" with a 'static' installation on the hard drive? I think not for some reason(s). I see 'fresh' is noted in every boot up screen. Have the feeling everything is going into RAM off hard drive ... somehow getting customized in RAM, ... and then getting lost on reboot. I am sure it is all clear as a bell to you, ... but my head is swimming ... as I just read about 'cheats'. More confused now.

You read swap 3x RAM ... I read 2x RAM .... somewhere. I guess I can change it to 3x with gparted ... and will assume it will 'stick'. It SHOULD based on what I know about partitioning ... the 'LIVE' stuff doesn't effect partitions.
Another thing to bear in mind is ext2 for big files like video files which are just written the once, as there is no journalling so there can be saving on space. Journalling useful on partitions where there is a lot of i/o going on.

Are you saying I should have gone with ext2 instead of ext3 (keeping in mind I am mostly Boincing)??

I guess I should bite the bullet and start the module construction per your 2nd post ... though I think I will have it honked up in about 2 seconds. I am just not clear on where things are written, where they stay written, .. I have not implemented ANY cheating ... everything is just as I described .. pretty much defaulted ... except as I described.
I am using 64 bit Porteus and require these 2 dependencies:-
libmspack-0.3alpha
wxPython-2.8.12.1

You can get the deps from USM:-
# usm -u all

# usm -g libmspack
# usm -g wxPython

You should be go to go after installing the deps and run
sh /<BOINC folder>/run_manager
In your case, maybe
# ~/BOINC/run_manager
Yeah ... says get 'em from USM. That's the pkg manager ... yet it looks like he used TERMINAL ... command line to get 'em ... AND he is 64-bit .. would I be getting the correct dependencies????

I have a valid install, .. I think I will really mess it up good if I start pulling triggers to see if the gun is loaded. I want to tutorialize etc etc, ... but first, I want a machine that is running boinc as I understand it to be ... running it reliably ..24/7. I don't think I am there yet ..... and am at the brink of stepping backwards. Too many unanswered questions .... too many questions to know to ask. I will be glad to do as you say .... from your reply 2 ... but will have no idea what I am creating,, where it is, how to undo it, etc etc.

For what it's worth .. I DO like Porteus ... from what I have seen. So as to not bother you any more than necessary, I posted a question about an item in the Universal Slackware Manager .. something about a test pkg .... what is it, and what should I do with it. I think I will at least wait until I get an answer on that. Thanks again for your help.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#21 by Bogomips » 08 Sep 2015, 22:46

Like I said, we have to wait for cttan to come back to us on that one. Would not be prudent to do anything more until we find out what he has done.
wacojohn wrote:but will have no idea what I am creating,, where it is, how to undo it, etc etc.
There will be nothing to undo, trust me.

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#22 by wacojohn » 08 Sep 2015, 23:59

Like I said, we have to wait for cttan to come back to us on that one. Would not be prudent to do anything more until we find out what he has done.
Forgive me. I thought you preferred I go ahead with your earlier reply instructions. I can now relax.

Here 1 simple question. I built the CD for FIREFOX .... I prefer Chrome. Can I make that change somehow, or do I need to burn another CD?

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#23 by francois » 09 Sep 2015, 03:46

For chrome, you just pick it up from here (there is also opera):
http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/current/modules/

Once downloaded copy the module to the /porteus/modules folder. Double click it to activate it on the fly. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#24 by wacojohn » 09 Sep 2015, 03:56

francois wrote:For chrome, you just pick it up from here (there is also opera):
http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/current/modules/

Once downloaded copy the module to the /porteus/modules folder. Double click it to activate it on the fly. :)
thank you so much. .... and to remove Firefox??

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#25 by francois » 09 Sep 2015, 04:10

Move it in the /porteus/optional folder. It should be in the /porteus/base folder. This way it will not load at bootup. This will make your bootup a little faster without it in the /porteus/modules folder. You usually put the modules that you do not use often in the the latter folder. Personnally, I have gimp, fotox, kino, photoprint in there.

Or if you want to get rid of it. Just delete it. At next bootup, it will not be available

cttan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 and 4.0 64bit KDE

Post#26 by cttan » 09 Sep 2015, 06:17

Hi wacojohn,

Sorry to have confused you.

The BOINC package you downloaded from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
should be good enough. Just follow the instructions and you will be able to run it.

But before all that happen, for certain program you may need to download and activate dependency as well.
For BOINC, the dependencies are libmspack-0.3alpha and wxPython-2.8.12.1.
I just want to point out that I'm using 64 bit Porteus and the dependencies are as mentioned.
As for 32 bit Porteus, it may have more or less dependency. I am not sure. Need your input after activating these 2 deps.
Looking at your logs, the wxPython is confirm require. You can activate this deps first then run the program and you will know what else is require.
It could be quite time consuming but assuming that's not a big issue for you. :D

Happy trying!!!

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#27 by Bogomips » 09 Sep 2015, 12:10

@wacojohn

The procedure to follow, as outlined, is:
  1. Download the Boinc Package
  2. You may use the GUI Package Manger which I believe you have already tried and
    1. On entry to GUI from the menu bar do Updates > Update USM (of itself), and > Update all.
    2. Get package: wxPython[-2.8.12.1] (if more than one, just take highest version). Reply in affirmative if asked if you want module made and/or activated.
    3. Get package: libmspack[-0.3alpha] (if more than one, just take highest version). Reply in affirmative if asked if you want module made and/or activated.
  3. If you run into problems you may have to use the CLI version, which have just checked and is working.
  4. Check if modules for above-mentioned packages have been made
  5. Activate same modules (This can be done from the file manager by right-clicking on the module file)
  6. Report back on progress so far :)

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#28 by francois » 09 Sep 2015, 13:08

@ bogomips:
Perfectly clear and straighforward intervention (this is positive reinforcement). :twisted:
You are at the apex as a moderator. :D

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#29 by wacojohn » 09 Sep 2015, 18:44

francois wrote:Move it in the /porteus/optional folder. It should be in the /porteus/base folder. This way it will not load at bootup. This will make your bootup a little faster without it in the /porteus/modules folder. You usually put the modules that you do not use often in the the latter folder. Personnally, I have gimp, fotox, kino, photoprint in there.

Or if you want to get rid of it. Just delete it. At next bootup, it will not be available
Thank you. I think I have succeeded ... and thanks to you, have learned some things that would have taken me MONTHS to figure out.

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#30 by wacojohn » 09 Sep 2015, 18:58

Bogomips wrote:@wacojohn

The procedure to follow, as outlined, is:
  1. Download the Boinc Package
  2. You may use the GUI Package Manger which I believe you have already tried and
    1. On entry to GUI from the menu bar do Updates > Update USM (of itself), and > Update all.
Yes ... update USM .... itself and 'ALL". It updated itself. Every time I try "ALL', it stalls/hangs at:

Code: Select all

sh-4.2# usm -u all
 Starting alien database update
Downloading: vercheck.txt  DONE
Downloading CHECKSUMS.md5.gz  DONE
Downloading:  MANIFEST.bz2 -->
and sits right there w/ a blinking cursor. Have not had this problem on previous installs/attempts .. everything updated previously. I have rebooted at tried again .. several times ... no fix.