Apps Not Starting From Menu?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
eldogbbhed
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Proteus3.0

Apps Not Starting From Menu?

Post#1 by eldogbbhed » 07 Aug 2015, 02:04

I have the newest 32bit Porteus on a FAT flash drive but it seems to have some problem starting certain programs. For example if I click the USM icon or do it from the application menu it does nothing. Starting it from the terminal (usmgui) works fine. It's as though the links in the menu are just broken or corrupted, but I just installed it per the instructions so I don't know what the issue could be. This may also be why I can start the save file manager to create a save file. I have no idea what the command line is for it or I'd do that and carry on for the moment.

If anybody can help me fix the menu and/or point me to instructions on creating a save file manually I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Apps Not Starting From Menu?

Post#2 by Ed_P » 07 Aug 2015, 03:33

eldogbbhed wrote:It's as though the links in the menu are just broken or corrupted, but I just installed it per the instructions so I don't know what the issue could be.
Very strange. Two possibilities, imo, a corrupted Porteus download or a faulty USB drive.
This may also be why I can start the save file manager to create a save file. I have no idea what the command line is for it
Seems to be getting to be a common problem. So you used Porteus Savefile Manager to create a save.dat file? Can you find it on the USB drive using the system's file manager? It's usually found on the device you booted and in it's root. Something like /mnt/sdb1/porteussave.dat or /mnt/sdb1/porteus/porteussave.dat. The /sdb1/ will match the id of your Porteus USB drive.

Once found, change your boot menu configuration to include the changes= cheatcode. Similar to what I use:

Code: Select all

kernel /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz   changes=/porteus/porteussave.dat
or

kernel /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz   changes=EXIT:/porteus/porteussave.dat
Hope This Helps
Ed

eldogbbhed
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Proteus3.0

Post#3 by eldogbbhed » 07 Aug 2015, 04:26

Ed_P wrote:
eldogbbhed wrote:It's as though the links in the menu are just broken or corrupted, but I just installed it per the instructions so I don't know what the issue could be.
Very strange. Two possibilities, imo, a corrupted Porteus download or a faulty USB drive.
I'm thinking it never installed right where the paths in the menu configs are corrupt but doing it over results in the same thing. Maybe it's the LXQT. Before when I had it going I think it was LXDE.
Ed_P wrote:
This may also be why I can start the save file manager to create a save file. I have no idea what the command line is for it
Seems to be getting to be a common problem. So you used Porteus Savefile Manager to create a save.dat file? Can you find it on the USB drive using the system's file manager? It's usually found on the device you booted and in it's root.
No, as I said I can't create a save file because the save file manager won't open from the menu just as USM won't start from it but works from the terminal. I know where the save file would be. I don't know where the save file manager is so I can create one manually seeing as it won't start from the application menu(neither will the settings centre and other things that I suspect are all present in the install).

I know all about the changes code. I tried it with an old porteussave.dat and it seemed to recognize it but I couldn't see any changes saved.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#4 by donald » 07 Aug 2015, 22:36

@eldogbbhed
IIRC --> To start the save file manager from a terminal:

guest@localhost:~$ cd /opt/porteus-scripts
guest@localhost:/opt/porteus-scripts$ ./make-changes
I think a new install would be best