JAVA on Porteus How Installing it ?????

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: JAVA on Porteus How Installing it ?????

Post#16 by Bogomips » 11 Jun 2015, 12:28

papa wrote:Sorry but your incompetencies to reply a clearly to someone who is newbie is painfuly annoying ... I just want to programming in java ... for that i havve to download a JDK i download and throw me and error ... right now i still waiting an answer....
@francois
As a psychologist you are well placed to give us pointers on how to deal with a personality that hides their incompetence behind insults.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#17 by francois » 11 Jun 2015, 14:21

I can only help when people are enough motivated to consult. They have to pay to show some of their motivation. And even then a minimum of cooperation is preferable. 8)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

KnallKopf
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 64bit KDE4

Post#18 by KnallKopf » 12 Jun 2015, 21:34

Hey @papa
I can give you my build script for oracle-JDK here
It should work with i586, but not testet
I can can not give you the ready module because it is not allowed because license restrictions.

1.) download the JDK (.*-linux-i586.tar.gz) from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33151.html
2.) put my script and the .*-linux-i586.tar.gz in the same directory
3.) run my script.

but better you use opensource if possible.

The error you describe sounds familiar, but nevertheless be sure that the download are not corrupt, and you have enought ramdisk to convert the archive.
If this OK, restart your i486 Porteus with the following extra kernelparameter: vmalloc=512M
or try less like: vmalloc=256M

Slaxmax
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: KDE4

Post#19 by Slaxmax » 13 Jun 2015, 16:18

KnallKopf wrote:Hey @papa
I can give you my build script for oracle-JDK here
It should work with i586, but not testet
I can can not give you the ready module because it is not allowed because license restrictions.

1.) download the JDK (.*-linux-i586.tar.gz) from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33151.html
2.) put my script and the .*-linux-i586.tar.gz in the same directory
3.) run my script.

but better you use opensource if possible.

The error you describe sounds familiar, but nevertheless be sure that the download are not corrupt, and you have enought ramdisk to convert the archive.
If this OK, restart your i486 Porteus with the following extra kernelparameter: vmalloc=512M
or try less like: vmalloc=256M
I tried explain, but...
I have this same script with GUI here: Tip: Build your own Java Oracle module
“DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.”
― Bill Gates, The Road Ahead

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#20 by francois » 13 Jun 2015, 16:41

This is the return of padre dougal. Welcome back. However, this is not the slax forum. This is the porteus forum. Adjust your glasses when you type on the keyboard. :D

joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Post#21 by joejac » 13 Jun 2015, 19:49

This post is interesting for me because the mind mapping software I use requires Java.

Papa, I am also new, and I got nice help from Porteus people, and solved the issue, nothing wrong with Porteus, it is a matter of try to understand how it works, and also Linux. And in the worst case, if something goes wrong, there is nothing to complain about, just report the problem, we are getting a nice OS, free of charge, and also free support, so please take some rest, eat some raw fat like avocado, reduce your sugar, salt and coffee, and take it easy men. My 2 cents.

Regards
joejac

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#22 by Bogomips » 14 Jun 2015, 14:34

Moved off topic posts to Mind Mapping under General chat.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

hope
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 5.0rc1 KDE desktop

Post#23 by hope » 07 Jul 2020, 11:18

Hi, I love java programming and I found this two easy step to install java and Eclipse Java IDE(Kepler) to work with :
1. download openjava for slackware package from https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.2/slackon ... y.txz.html
2. open a root shell terminal where you download above file and apply this command to convert slackware package to module : tzm2xzm openjdk7-7u251-x86_64-1_slonly.txz
3. then if conversion is successfull, you can see java package named openjdk7-7u251-x86_64-1_slonly.xzm (under parent folder probably, i.e. go one folder up)
4. if you want to make it active at each startup then copy this module into /porteus/modules/ folder
5. goto /porteus/module/ folder and open root shell terminal and use this command : activate openjdk7-7u251-x86_64-1_slonly.xzm
6. if it is successfully activated, message screen will apperead as package is activated sucessfully.
7. to check whether java is working or not, open a guest shell sakura and write java to command prompt, if you see java's information there, it means it is working. otherwise, track bugs scattered (i.e. errors :Search: )
7. Next step is to get Eclipse Java Kepler packages from page : https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packa ... ase/kepler
8. trick is to download only relevant packages according to your computer's chipset architecture, 32/64 bit or amd64 , of course under linux pages get the relavant package any package you want (ı am usin eclipse-standart-kepler-SR1-linux-gtk-86_64.tar.gz package and equivalent SR2 packages)
9. after downloading eclipse-???-kepler-???-.tar.gz file, extract its under the /home/guest/keplerIDE folder(create it) . but do not forget that it is tar.gz, therefore, once you unzip it you get a tar file, therefore, first unzip then untar the file to get simple eclipse folder
10. give execution permission to folder named eclipse using recursive command(rigth click folder and change permissions simply under root spacefm or use chmod -R 777 /eclipse
11. open a guest shell under /home/guest/keplerIDE folder and write this command to start working with Eclipse Kepler Java IDE ./eclipse/eclipse (equivalently /home/guest/keplerIDE/eclipse/eclipse will work)

I have not faced with any dependency problems yet. If you faced with, please update required libraries but I could use both java and eclipse without any special packages, just simple porteus 5.0 desktop version standart packages is enough. That is all. Happy java programming.
Newbie to Linux-Unix systems, try to read,learn, apply, modify and create.

otan
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: mint

Post#24 by otan » 21 Jul 2020, 19:30

Not programming java, so just downloaded latest from oracle, untar into directory and run from there. :)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#25 by Ed_P » 21 Jul 2020, 19:50

That kinda defeats the Porteus modular concept. This is what I use: Tip: Build your own Java Oracle module
Ed

otan
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: mint

Post#26 by otan » 21 Jul 2020, 22:53

Just wish to get job done painlessly. ;)

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#27 by francois » 28 Jul 2020, 11:00

@otan:
I imagine that there is not so much more to do to get it as a module with export PATH=$PATH:/place/with/the/file
https://opensource.com/article/17/6/set-path-linux
And then right click on the directory to convert it with dir2xzm into a module.

:)