FAT Partition Desktop Icon Doesn't Show

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

FAT Partition Desktop Icon Doesn't Show

Post#1 by jimwg » 10 Apr 2015, 19:30

Greetings:

Via GParted I formatted a flash drive to have 7gigs for Porteus 3.0.1 on a ext4 partition and a FAT32 one to hold any Windows files. The fat partition (sdb2) doesn't show on the desktop when the flash's Porteus is running but does show when I run another flash's Porteus or Mint. The default icons settings in the Desktop Manager doesn't help. How can I make it so the fat partition always shows?

Thanks!

Jim in NYC

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: FAT Partition Desktop Icon Doesn't Show

Post#2 by francois » 10 Apr 2015, 20:56

Try:
mkdir /mnt/sdb2
mount /dev/sdb2
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 10 Apr 2015, 21:27

@jimwg, you do realize that Windows doesn't support multiple partitions on removable drives, right? Thus for your config to work the FAT32 partition has to be sdb1 for Windows to see it and your Porteus partition sdb2.
Ed

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#4 by jimwg » 11 Apr 2015, 21:32

Ed_P wrote:@jimwg, you do realize that Windows doesn't support multiple partitions on removable drives, right? Thus for your config to work the FAT32 partition has to be sdb1 for Windows to see it and your Porteus partition sdb2.
O boy! :( Thanks for the heads-up!

Is there anyway to "reverse" partition locations without having to reformat and reinstall all over again? Any sage advice precious!

Jim in NYC

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#5 by Ed_P » 11 Apr 2015, 21:51

jimwg wrote:Is there anyway to "reverse" partition locations without having to reformat and reinstall all over again? Any sage advice precious!
I suspect GParted would support doing that.

Delete the sdb2 partition, shift the sdb1 partition over, allocate a new sdb1, format the new sdb1. Now the concern is, will it still boot, I think it will but I've never done this before so...

Good luck. And to be on the safe side, backup the sdb1 partition before you start. :)
Ed

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#6 by jimwg » 16 Apr 2015, 14:59

Ed_P wrote:
jimwg wrote:Is there anyway to "reverse" partition locations without having to reformat and reinstall all over again? Any sage advice precious!
I suspect GParted would support doing that.

Delete the sdb2 partition, shift the sdb1 partition over, allocate a new sdb1, format the new sdb1. Now the concern is, will it still boot, I think it will but I've never done this before so...

Good luck. And to be on the safe side, backup the sdb1 partition before you start. :)
Thanks. I'll give a go this weekend and report. You'd think there was a general FAQ for issues like this somewhere!

Jim in NYC