After waking from Suspend, Now a Read-Only System

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

After waking from Suspend, Now a Read-Only System

Post#1 by jimwg » 11 Mar 2015, 15:55

Greetings!

I broke off working on OpenOffice and set the Action Panel to do a Suspend (in RAM) which it did, the R60e Thinkpad's half-moon "sleep" indicator going on. Come morning I pressed enter then space and other keys to wake it up but no go. Only tapping the power-on button did so and that just brought up the Porteus boot-up screen which then switched the computer off. I booted up and just before my XFCE screen popped up the Porteus boot-up screen's bottom command line flashed something about a "can't repair or can't fix journal" something then XFEC came up normal till I saw that my Thunar screen lost all its bookmarks and when I accessed the directories all the folder and file icons had padlocks on them. When I tried to move a file to another directory or tried to save a file I worked on the system balked by saying "Read-Only System."

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim in NYC

3.1 XFCE 32bit on second-hand R60e,

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: After waking from Suspend, Now a Read-Only System

Post#2 by Ed_P » 11 Mar 2015, 16:19

Suspend doesn't work with 3.1's kernel. You can use this approach to replace it with the kernel from 3.0.1 to resolve the suspend problem.
Ed

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#3 by jimwg » 11 Mar 2015, 18:29

Ed_P wrote:Suspend doesn't work with 3.1's kernel. You can use this approach to replace it with the kernel from 3.0.1 to resolve the suspend problem.
Thanks for your swift reply! Just want to know is this prevention or a cure to the current condition?

Jim in NYC

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 12 Mar 2015, 05:51

jimwg wrote:Thanks for your swift reply! Just want to know is this prevention or a cure to the current condition?
Apparently a cure, until 3.2 is released. http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... =45#p31676
Ed

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#5 by jimwg » 12 Mar 2015, 19:49

Ed_P wrote:
jimwg wrote:Thanks for your swift reply! Just want to know is this prevention or a cure to the current condition?
Apparently a cure, until 3.2 is released. http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... =45#p31676
Well, since either solution entails the hassle of creating a whole new ISO, and my previous solution of replacing 3.1's kernel with 3.0.1's resulted in zero wi-fi connectivity, I'll just wait for the actual 3.2 update and transfer all the doc files in my bad flash's Changes folder to another Porteus flash drive so at least I can avail them despite this present 3.1 "read-only filesystem" hang -- provided eaches permissions weren't messed with too.

Jim in NYC

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#6 by jimwg » 26 Mar 2015, 02:56

Not sure, but this issue might have to do with a old flash drive suffering from use corruption and is safely shutting itself down by first (almost randomly it seems) rendering folders as read-only. I erased the flash and installed Mint on it then Porteus again and in both instances kept getting waves of pad-locked folders. Is there any confirmation that such occurs?

Thanks,

Jim in NYC