Easier Select Module Bootup?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Easier Select Module Bootup?

Post#1 by jimwg » 07 Feb 2015, 01:31

Greetings!

My cfg file looks like this:

LABEL xfce
MENU LABEL RAM ROOT BOOT (XFCE)
changes=cliexec=mv~/etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa~/etc/X11/xorg.conf
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz changes=UUID:"9364e8df-4855-45d6-9779-546e7c424692"/porteus fsck load=xfce copy2ram login=root
TEXT HELP
Run Porteus the best way we can.
Try to autoconfigure graphics
card and use the maximum
allowed resolution
ENDTEXT

Thing is that Porteus seems to run faster with fewest apps/modules in memory, but if your modules folder has over 14 modules in it to accommodate all your assorted configurations Porteus indiscriminately load them all. Yes, I can prune the module folder for each desired configuration but that's time consuming and reduces your desire to create custom start-ups with only two or three modules out of 14. You can use noload= but you'd have to do that with each module entry in the cheatsheet. Can there be a variation of noload= called loadonly= that lets you chose the specific modules you want to load without emptying your modules folder or cluttering up your cfg file?

Thanks! Just learning!

Jim in NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Easier Select Module Bootup?

Post#2 by brokenman » 07 Feb 2015, 12:37

Yes. Read the cheatcode documentation. Look for load= and place you modules in the optional folder.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Re: Easier Select Module Bootup?

Post#3 by jimwg » 08 Feb 2015, 23:22

brokenman wrote:Yes. Read the cheatcode documentation. Look for load= and place you modules in the optional folder.
Thanks! I missed that somehow, but you also hit on another idea if it's possible. Could contextual menus be configured so one can pull up a list of modules to activate and deactivate with a click without having to go into the optional folder?

Thanks!

Jim in NYC