Porteus .sgn file.

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
R.R.E.Designs
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Debian

Porteus .sgn file.

Post#1 by R.R.E.Designs » 21 Jan 2015, 03:58

Hello everyone.

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum to post this, also, I've been looking for this issue and didn't find anything useful to my problem.
I own a PC with Windows 8.1 UEFI, and I heard trying to dual boot under this EFI nightmare could possibly break my Win boot, so I dowloaded Porteus to use it from an USB key (like I previously did successfully and with no trouble). Thing is, after booting to the main screen I won't go any further, no matter the option I pick. :cry:

I've changed the BIOS settings for CSM 16 support, secure boot is set to "another OS", and "booting from removable devices" is set to "both, UEFI and Legacy OPROM". Don't remember if there were any other changes, but I checked all over the "boot" label in BIOS.

Once I choose to start the desktop or load to RAM or whatever, the system start loading but it says a few seconds later what you see here:

I've searched for that file myself and it IS in there, so I have no idea what's going on. Also, I've tried to boot as legacy OS and with EFI compatibility, and is the same in both cases for all options, none of them work. :unknown:

Any ideas around here? Have anyone faced the same issue?
If you need more pics, just let me know.

Thanks in advance. :)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Porteus .sgn file.

Post#2 by Ed_P » 21 Jan 2015, 05:21

Ed

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 21 Jan 2015, 07:13

are you really trying to boot Porteus 3.0.1?
if not then please fix your setup as you are using old initrd.xz.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

R.R.E.Designs
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by R.R.E.Designs » 21 Jan 2015, 14:52

Yes sir. This pic was from yesterday, I had the ISO of that version. But I dowloaded 3.1 an hour before posting just to see if I had more luck, but it is exactly the same. And that thread suggested needs an always fresh boot, but as I mentioned there's no way to boot into any mode (of course I gave it a last try). :unknown:

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#5 by beny » 21 Jan 2015, 15:44

i supose you start the system from an usb key,after you have formatted it unpack the iso and you have two directory boot and porteus and another one if you have the uefi bootloader,into the boot directory you have the script that allow you to install porteus bootloader in your device, two version, for linux and for windows,after this reboot and i think work,or you burn the iso and try to start from the dvd porteus so you see if something is corrupted,maybe you have done these steps,if no luck wait for the mods hint.

R.R.E.Designs
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by R.R.E.Designs » 21 Jan 2015, 16:58

I ommited that step, but of course I installed the OS after copying the Porteus folders in the USB. As I said, I was able to use Porteus from USB under another system (Win 7, non-EFI) but in this case it simple doesn't work beyond the splash creen, and I followed the same installation steps. :wall:

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#7 by beny » 21 Jan 2015, 17:48

seem the installer have the wrong path, porteus.sng is located out of the porteus core directory but inside the porteus directory if you have a linux system fdisk -l in console show you the device or hard disk connected to the system so you can see if the installer work on the right device.

R.R.E.Designs
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by R.R.E.Designs » 21 Jan 2015, 19:11

I'm under Windows right now. That file is at: H:/porteus/porteus-v3.1-x86_64.sgn

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#9 by fanthom » 21 Jan 2015, 22:05

maybe your controller is not supported?
when booting fails please press 'b' button -> run 'blkid' command -> take a photo of the output.

thanks

R.R.E.Designs
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by R.R.E.Designs » 21 Jan 2015, 23:22

Oki. Thanks for replying. Here's the picture of the screen after the blkid command:

"LINUXLIVE" is the label of my pendrive, it's because of LiLi USB usage. :D

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#11 by fanthom » 22 Jan 2015, 12:49

so its not controller.
please rename whatever .sgn file you have on your pendrive to 'usb.sgn' and boot with 'sgn=usb.sgn' cheatcode.

that should help.

R.R.E.Designs
White ninja
White ninja

Post#12 by R.R.E.Designs » 22 Jan 2015, 15:14

Unfortunately, it dindn't help. I've tried like 5 times (in EFI mode, couldn't use cheatcodes, TAB doesn't work.) but it keeps looking for the same file under the same name. A couple of years ago virgin CD'S could be bought all over but now I haven't seen any store that sells them for quite a long while. Anyways, if it is failing from USB I believe the same would happen from CD. I'm so lost here.

I tried to add the cheat code to the .cfg file. If you tell me it is safe to boot it, I'll give it a go.

Thanks a lot. :)

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by beny » 22 Jan 2015, 16:03

hi, have you used the porteus installer for windows.exe, and you have to check if your fat32 file system is not corrupted,fat 32 it is enough remove device before the end of file write to corrupt it,for windows exist the hp format tool,that is a good software for the format of removable device like usb key sd card and so on.

R.R.E.Designs
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by R.R.E.Designs » 22 Jan 2015, 16:09

Yes I used that installer. Actually, this is not the first time I use Porteus from USB, that's why I'm so lost.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#15 by brokenman » 22 Jan 2015, 16:20

in EFI mode, couldn't use cheatcodes, TAB doesn't work.
At the UEFI boot screen you should be able to hit F2 to access the boot line and edit it. If possible please install manually on USB.

Boot into linux
Mount the Porteus ISO
Copy the three folders 'boot', 'EFI', 'porteus' onto the USB device (it should be FAT32)
CHANGE INTO the boot directory on the USB device
Run the installer for linux
Reboot
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.