Problem with Transmission in 3.1 XFCE & LXQT

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
DT_br
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1 XFCE

Problem with Transmission in 3.1 XFCE & LXQT

Post#1 by DT_br » 22 Dec 2014, 12:48

I have been using Porteus for some time now on USB pen drive. In 3.0 I was able to use Transmission without any problem. I installed two versions (above) of 3.1 and when I try to connect with a link I get a return that "connection to tracker failed". The same download with Transmission on my backup with 3.0 works with no message. I am not an expert user so am posting here on the assumption that this is not a bug but that something changed in the new version and I am not proceeding correctly. Can you help me?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Problem with Transmission in 3.1 XFCE & LXQT

Post#2 by fanthom » 23 Dec 2014, 06:58

please install transmission from USM and check if this version works any better
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

DT_br
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by DT_br » 27 Dec 2014, 12:12

Thank-you for the reply. I appreciate the feedback. Hope you are enjoying the Holiday Season. As I said I am not very familiar with Linux. I used XFCE 3.1 version on USB stick and I downloaded Transmission (more recent than what is in Porteus) through USM. It downloaded three programs - couldn't figure out how to run it/them from where they were downloaded so made a merged module through USM and put that to Porteus Modules folder and rebooted. When I clicked on the Transmission icon and checked "about" it showed the updated version number - still kept getting the "not found" message when trying to download files. This is probably not the correct/best way to do what you asked so I'm not sure if the result is valid but it seems that it still doesn't work. I searched the Forum and FAQ and Hints and couldn't find an explanation on how to update programs that are already in Porteus (like Transmission). Thank-you again for helping.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 28 Dec 2014, 03:00

you could run 'removepkg /var/log/transmission*'' and then 'installpkg transmission-*.txz'
if original slackware package still does not work then maybe torrents are blocked on the ISP level? can anybody confirm this?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

DT_br
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by DT_br » 28 Dec 2014, 20:13

I also thought about ISP blocking which is why I tried the same download with 3.0 razr after I tried it with the two 3.1 versions mentioned above. The 3.0 worked with no problem - same file - same torrent site.
Since my last post I tried the transmission download on a fresh usb install of 3.1XFCE. This time I tried from the Ponce db which gave me a longer list of files needed
many with several versions of the files to choose from. I tried to choose the latest version numbers for each as a choosing criteria. As before I checked "merge modules" before downloading. I put the module to Porteus/modules and rebooted. Same result: when Transmission window opened the version had upgraded from 2.6 (original install) to 2.84. I was able to review the program options, set parameters (where to put download files, etc.) When I loaded the magnet link and check the properties/trackers it shows no "no connection to trackers".
I will try again using the commands you list above in a terminal window on another new usb install and see what happens. Thank-you for your continued help with this.

Sagittarius
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: LXDE 3.0/MATE 3.1/XFCE 3.1

Post#6 by Sagittarius » 30 Dec 2014, 18:32

fanthom wrote:can anybody confirm this?
I have both XFCE 3.0 and 3.1 frugally installed and I found the same problem: works on v. 3.0 but "connection failed" on v. 3.1.

DT_br
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by DT_br » 31 Dec 2014, 17:52

OK. So I booted to a new USB install using "fresh" and tried running transmission first thing - it worked!
Then I began to review the different things I do to set up Porteus for regular use. One of the things I do is activate the firewall and that is the problem. If firewall is active you can use Firefox - do browsing but no way can I get Transmission to work. I did not try all ports possible but the several that I tried were "closed" and it would not connect. When I toggled off the firewall and restarted Transmission it immediately connected. The firewall must be "off", neither "strict" nor "normal" allow Transmission to work. When i use 3.0 (after "activating" the firewall configuration) it works with the firewall "on" in either mode. I don't know enough about Linux to know if there is something that can or should be edited to fix this. I will research this some more, but would appreciate any feedback anyone may have. Right now it seems that firewall and Transmission are not compatible in 3.1.

Sagittarius
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: LXDE 3.0/MATE 3.1/XFCE 3.1

Post#8 by Sagittarius » 31 Dec 2014, 19:17

DT_br wrote: When I toggled off the firewall and restarted Transmission it immediately connected.
I confirm that, thanks!

DT_br
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by DT_br » 18 Jan 2015, 13:47

I am using the "toggle firewall off" when I want to use transmission. Haven`t found any other way to use transmission with the firewall on, even though the prior versions of Porteus seemed to work OK with the firewall on. Should I report this in the "bugs" section of the Forum as well?