[Solved] Chrome cache

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Zachar
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus MATE v3.0.1 x86_64

[Solved] Chrome cache

Post#1 by Zachar » 18 Nov 2014, 10:40

What is the proper way of setting up Chrome cache to be kept in RAM instead of my pendrive in Porteus? Cache files slow down the browser dramatically when their size increases with time. I also suppose that while storing cache requires a lot of writing to the usb stick, it causes the device to wear down faster.

I'll be greatful for clearing those things up for me.
Last edited by Zachar on 24 Nov 2014, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Chrome cache

Post#2 by brokenman » 18 Nov 2014, 12:36

My first thought would be to create a temp file system in ram and store the google-chrome cache there.

Before activating the chrome module.

Code: Select all

mkdir /tmp/google-chrome
mount -t tmpfs -o size=512M tmpfs /tmp/google-chrome
ln -s /tmp/google-chrome /home/guest/.config/google-chrome
You can use whatever size suits your system. Now activate and start google chrome. You may have no profile to begin with, but google will populate ram with its cache after this.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#3 by wread » 19 Nov 2014, 10:53

@Zachar
I normally run Porteus in AF mode; in order to have my settings at every start in AF mode, I made a module containing those settings.

It is very easy: make a folder and name it myGChrome, in it, a subfolder and name it root, in root make a folder and name it .config (dot-config), open it and copy your actual folder /root/.config/google-chrome/ in it. Go up to myGChrome and make a Porteus module out of it by right-clicking on it (selecting "make Porteus xzm module").

Put your newly created module in "modules" and your settings will come up every time you start Poteus.

Elemental, Watson! 8)

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Zachar
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus MATE v3.0.1 x86_64

Post#4 by Zachar » 24 Nov 2014, 15:20

Thanks for the tips. For now, I decided to use Firefox which seems to have this option accessible in a much simplier way.