Manual instalation of Modo

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Proteus

Manual instalation of Modo

Post#1 by bartosh44 » 13 Oct 2014, 10:59

I have one problem with Porteus. I`m trying manually install Modo (sudo bash). During first running Modo wants create .luxology/Scripts and .luxology/Configs inside home folder. Without that folders Modo can`t save config files. I created that folders manually but it also can`t save files there. I installed that soft inside Home or usr. Which folder should I choose for that manual instalation? I was login as root.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Manual instalation of Modo

Post#2 by francois » 13 Oct 2014, 14:26

What is modo, please give us a link? This distribution is called porteus! :)

Did you tried the thing in root mode? You can boot root mode with the login= cheatcode, see porteus faq on cheatcodes or the following thread where I explain how to use login cheatcode:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3919
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by bartosh44 » 13 Oct 2014, 17:54

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/gallery/
Modo is 3d app. I want to have it on pendrive always near of me. I used cheatcode to login as root. After instalation I saved changes as module. Modo is running very well except that is not saving changes to file (it cant create .luxology folder which is needed to create configuration file on the fly). I think that not have right access to create file onfly. I checked that also on Mint and it created that configuration folders with files on the fly without problems. Mint is to slow for me. Porteus is much much faster. I need only that one soft installed so Porteus is right for me :)

bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by bartosh44 » 15 Oct 2014, 13:47

Any tips? This software works but I can`t find reason why Modo hasn`t got access to create config folder with config file. All permissions are set to files and folders to allow that process. I don`t understand why it happens. Please help me with solving that question. I would like of course fix it to have config file enabled for saving software changes. That i will save as module to keep that changes on every boot.

bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by bartosh44 » 29 Oct 2014, 10:23

Modo automaticaly creates demanded folders but inside root/root/.luxology/ folder (it should save it inside root/.luxology). When I open Modo and I try open Config or Script folder from Modo it gives me error:

"Unable to detect URI-scheme of "file:root/.luxology/Scripts".

I think it`s reason of that folder created inside root/root not in root. I tried install same instalation inside lubuntu and it worked fine (without problems) - also from pendrive.

Please help me...

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#6 by fanthom » 29 Oct 2014, 13:40

please upload Modo module somewhere and post a download link so i could try to recreate this issue myself.

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by bartosh44 » 30 Oct 2014, 07:08

If I install trial version (30days) on fresh Porteus copy and save session (Porteus Setting Centre) to module will be ok for you? Becouse it creates few folders and maybe more than I know, so I thought to save whole session. I am legal Modo user but I can`t post my license thats why I will post trial of it (avaible till 29 october).

bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by bartosh44 » 30 Oct 2014, 08:18

So I run porteus in CD version as root. I`ve installed Modo 801 trial in root folder. I`ve installed license which is in Download folder (you should not delete it). Modo opens every second time (becouse of info about lack of configuration file). When you open it you should close all notification messages inside Modo. Then you should go to top menu bar SYSTEM-> OPEN USER CONFIGS FOLDER or SYSTEM -> OPEN USER SCRIPTS FOLDER (error will apear after that). I have not changed anything else so whole folders are created automatically during "sudo bash" and first openning. I saved that session as module which is avaible to download here: https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/76 ... 707/8b2b1c

Thanks in advance.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#9 by fanthom » 30 Oct 2014, 09:41

I`ve installed Modo 801 trial in root folder.
could you also point me to a trial package so i could install everything myself? this way i could be able to find things you may overlooked (if any).
please post detailed instructions how do you install it:
a)
b)
c)

btw: i'll try to give you an answer over the weekend.

thanks

bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by bartosh44 » 30 Oct 2014, 10:05

Here is whole package (*.zip): https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/59 ... 503/737445
which include:
-MODO_801_SP2_linux.run
-modo70287.lic (zip inside zip)
- (for optional use) modoLicenseInstall.sh (zip inside zip)

This how I did it:
1) copied MODO_801_SP2_linux.run file to root folder
2) in terminal I wrote command "sudo bash MODO_801_SP2_linux.run" and executed it for complete install
3) I opened root/modo folder and fired modo file to open Modo 801 software
4) during first opening it creates hidden folder inside root/root/.luxology and root/modo/.luxology and ask you about license. I picked up "INSTALL FROM DISK" and chose modo70287.lic file for using trial license.

After that Modo copy license to that both .luxology folders but not it does not use that. It`s still linked to old file (picked up during first opening). If you delete that license file after first opening you won`t open Modo any more. That`s becouse it try read file in different disk location (not where it save it). It looks for it inside root/.luxology not inside ( root/root/.luxology and root/modo/root/.luxology where it`s really copied).

So in my opinion it is miss match of load/save locations (other place for save and other for load). In lubuntu it works fine but lubuntu is too slow for me on USB.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#11 by fanthom » 03 Nov 2014, 17:57

i had similar problems when using root account but everything was ok once i switched to guest. i guess that this app is not ready for root :)
i have installed modo to /opt and then created symlink:

Code: Select all

ln -s /opt/modo/modo /usr/bin/modo
once done i could launch this app from guest account and use without problems.

hope that helps.

bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja

Post#12 by bartosh44 » 03 Nov 2014, 18:19

Thanks a lot. I'll try it. Have you installed it as Guest or as Root (on which account you have been logged in)? Does it make any difference?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#13 by fanthom » 03 Nov 2014, 18:24

root for installation and symlink. guest for using it.

bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by bartosh44 » 04 Nov 2014, 08:56

Thank you very much. All works fine.