Help needed with f2fs partitions

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Help needed with f2fs partitions

Post#1 by nickh » 11 May 2014, 16:34

Hi,
I need to resize an f2fs partition (which is impossible as resizing is not supported by the file system) but I'm struggling with any distro to find the tools. In order to resize it I was going to tar up everything on it, delete the partition, create a new partition of the required size then untar all the data.
GParted looked interesting but you need to install f2fs-tools to create the partitions and it does not seem to come with any tool which enables you to mount an f2fs partition to read the data.
I've also tried in Porteus. Natively it does not do either (manage partitions or read/write to them). Does anyone know what I need to do to get Porteus to mount the partition, read the data and write it back?

FWIW the partition comes from a Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc, but the standard installation makes /boot (vfat) a bit to small to avoid upgrading issues and the f2fs partition takes up the rest of the space (which is more than I need)

TIA,
Nick

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Re: Help needed with f2fs partitions

Post#2 by beny » 11 May 2014, 19:21

hi you have to install f2fs_tool for the use of this file system, after you have this package, you have to mount :mount -t f2fs /dev/block_device /mnt you know the name of device via console with fdisk -l you can read, move file,store and etc..etc

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by nickh » 11 May 2014, 20:32

Ah, so it does not auto-mount.

I've managed to mount it and pull the data off.
I cannot for the life of me work out how to install f2fs-tools. I've tried the package manager. I've tried a package from slackbuilds.ord but hit an issue "autoreconf: command not found". I am used to the RHEL way of doing things and I don't even know how to find out if a package is installed in Porteus. Are you able to help?

TIA,
Nick

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#4 by beny » 11 May 2014, 20:42

if you have usm package manager the slackbuild is f2fs_tools and you can make the file system check it and mount it via cli i know isn't user friendly but it is too young yet.btw you have to have the porteus module for make the packages and other task,maybe devel or so..you have to look also if the kernel have the f2fs support like module, or built in, fanthom can answer you for this question

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

Post#5 by freestyler » 12 May 2014, 07:34

My repository will be released tomorrow and has a package for f2fs_tools
https://www.porteus-apps.org

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by nickh » 12 May 2014, 17:18

That would be good.

I had got to an interim solution where I could back up all the data with Porteus then delete and recreate the partition with GParted (either on its own or in Ubuntu Live USB - I can't remember which) but in playing around I've messed up my back up installation. I now need to sort that with only one USB card reader. Presumably dd the good installation to file then from file to the back up card then I can test again. Somehow resizing the FAT32 partition in GParted messed it up!

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

Post#7 by freestyler » 12 May 2014, 17:31

Spewin. I messed up my backup partition not that long ago, it sucks.
here is the link to f2fs_tools-1.2.0-i486-1_fs.tgz and f2fs_tools-1.2.0-x86_64-1_fs.tgz
https://www.porteus-apps.org