Installing without usm/ activating modules using CLI

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
helmut
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kubuntu, Porteus KDE 2.1

Installing without usm/ activating modules using CLI

Post#1 by helmut » 28 Apr 2014, 18:44

Hi, I am an intermediate Linux user (Kubuntu) and I would prefer to customize my Porteus 3.0 32 bit instalation.

1. Can I install the software using other methods than usm (for example rpm, or compiling from source) or does everything needs to be a module?

I tried to install .rpm java jdk package using rpm but there was dependency missing for basic Linux commands like /bin/mkdir, /bin/cat etc.. So I am wondering if this is even possible.
If so how to go about it. I tried some slackware utilities for fetching package from internet but none of them seems to be installed.

2. How to activate package using CLI?

And another unrelated question, rather funny one:)

3. How do I find out Porteus version which is installed? /etc/os-release is not helpful in this respect.

Slaxmax
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: KDE4

Re: Installing without usm/ activating modules using CLI

Post#2 by Slaxmax » 28 Apr 2014, 19:21

helmut wrote:Hi, I am an intermediate Linux user (Kubuntu) and I would prefer to customize my Porteus 3.0 32 bit instalation.

1. Can I install the software using other methods than usm (for example rpm, or compiling from source) or does everything needs to be a module?

I tried to install .rpm java jdk package using rpm but there was dependency missing for basic Linux commands like /bin/mkdir, /bin/cat etc.. So I am wondering if this is even possible.
If so how to go about it. I tried some slackware utilities for fetching package from internet but none of them seems to be installed.

2. How to activate package using CLI?

And another unrelated question, rather funny one:)

3. How do I find out Porteus version which is installed? /etc/os-release is not helpful in this respect.
1- yes you can http://www.porteus.org/faq.html#twenty9
if you need java see http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3332

2- type
activate your-module.xzm

3 - go to porteus system info -> tab porteus
“DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.”
― Bill Gates, The Road Ahead

helmut
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by helmut » 28 Apr 2014, 19:32

Ok thanks. So you are saying installing using rpm is absolutely ok?
I already tried slackyd but the command was not found.

Slaxmax
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: KDE4

Post#4 by Slaxmax » 28 Apr 2014, 19:35

helmut wrote:Ok thanks. So you are saying installing using rpm is absolutely ok?
I already tried slackyd but the command was not found.
Prefer to install packages from slackware TXZ, problems with RPM and DEB packages can occur. Try!

Slackyd is not installed on porteus 3.0
“DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.”
― Bill Gates, The Road Ahead

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 28 Apr 2014, 21:30

there was dependency missing for basic Linux commands like /bin/mkdir, /bin/cat
Sounds like something wrong with your install. These commands are in the core of Porteus and should be available in all default ISO's.

In Porteus (slackware based) you should only use Porteus modules or slackware packages. Slackware packages can be built from source. I suggest using the package manager or you will be back asking why a certain program you installed isn't working.
installing using rpm is absolutely ok?
No. Use the built in package manager. If you prefer slackyd then open the package manager, download and install it.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

helmut
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by helmut » 29 Apr 2014, 17:09

Thanks for answers. Since there was no slackyd I was confused if I should use it or not. Some of my problems were solved by using slackyd/installpkg but I try to use usm/modules when possible. What is the advantage of using modules over installing them, anyway?

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#7 by tome » 29 Apr 2014, 19:35

What is the advantage of using modules over installing them, anyway?
You can't install modules - they already contain installed package, you must only insert it to root tree - activate. Some features of modules are: compression, fixed content, quicker "installing" - if you don't need it, install your packages and save changes - but saving changes keeps "all" your files, even unneeded.
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#8 by brokenman » 30 Apr 2014, 01:36

Modules can be placed in your porteus/modules folder on your install media and they will be mounted into the file system on every boot and be available to you. There are many advantages and disadvantages with the most obvious one being that modularity allows you to add and remove things cleanly. You can swap your MATE desktop for LXDE by loading a different module. You can update the kernel or Xorg system without touching the desktop environment.

So if you use an 'always fresh' mode as I do, modules are really useful. I can install a slackware package today, then reboot and it is gone! If I like it I make a module and drop it in the modules folder to keep it.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.