MPlayer-108 Won't Run After re-Installing Opera/Firefox

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

MPlayer-108 Won't Run After re-Installing Opera/Firefox

Post#1 by jimwg » 15 Apr 2014, 04:14

Greetings,

I don't know whether the file tinkering I did is the actual cause, only that it was the last thing I did prior the problem. I briefly removed and replaced both Opera and Firefox from their Optional folder to test another issue and now when I click MPlayer 108 on mp4 and flv or any files it flashes and exits XFCE 4.10, no matter if in vid output xv or x11 settings or anything which I checked by clicking the MPlayer icon to get its preferences. When I tried to get it running on KDE it still balked, but KDE was courteous enough to open a window explaining:

"MPlayer Exit Code 127 /usr/bin/mplayer. Error loading shared libraries liba52.so. Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory."

I'm running MPlayer on 3.0rc2 (32bit) because I can't get MPlayer to run in 3.0 final yet, but it's been running fine in 3.0rc2 till I tinkered.

Any assist much appreciated!

Jim in NYC

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Re: MPlayer-108 Won't Run After re-Installing Opera/Firefox

Post#2 by jimwg » 15 Apr 2014, 11:01

Something odd here!

Struggling for solution I delete both a gnome-mplayer and mplayer file from bin while in XFCE and discovered that Mplayer runs okay in LXDE but still not KDE or XFCE. Any clues what to do please!

Jim in NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 17 Apr 2014, 01:37

More info is needed. Are you using nay cheatcodes to boot? Removing a module from the optional folder should absolutely no consequences as they are not loaded during boot if you are not using a cheatcode to load them. Furthermore in all the default ISO's in fresh mode mplayer works fine. Where did you get your MPlayer from?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#4 by jimwg » 19 Apr 2014, 21:37

brokenman wrote:More info is needed. Are you using nay cheatcodes to boot? Removing a module from the optional folder should absolutely no consequences as they are not loaded during boot if you are not using a cheatcode to load them. Furthermore in all the default ISO's in fresh mode mplayer works fine. Where did you get your MPlayer from?
Just as a confirming exercise please try this out result that I've found odd with my system:

In Porteus 3.0 final XFCE 4.10, open the Desktop Setting panel and note the type of sliders and controls. Then click a mp4 or flash files to check the live mPlayer animation. Close up and replace this XFCE module with the one from 3.0rc1 or rc2 and reboot and inspect the Desktop Settings panel again. Settings controls are different and more advanced and XFCE.org users say that it's XFCE 4.11, not 4.10. You lose any Desktop wallpaper and panel slideshow configurations (and others) created under XFCE 4.11 in 3.0rc1/2, and in addition mPlayer will also refuse to operate under XFCE 4.11 on 3.0 final though it's the more updated version. XFCE here also doesn't allow you to exit then re-login and create a new session in the cyan screen, only click your previously created sessions (In addition, it seems that the XFCE Goodies Synaptic and PPA distribution still carries a faulty dated weather plugin which further exasperated by trouble shooting on a different issue). On the surface from my situation these issues seem a flaw the XFCE folks ought know.

I am currently using a 3.0rc2 Base along with its XFCE 4.11 module because I want to retain my 3.0rc desktop and other configs through I regrettably lose having the 3.0 final's USM Slackware loader.

Any feedback would help my tests!

Jim in NYC

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#5 by jimwg » 23 Apr 2014, 02:00

jimwg wrote:
brokenman wrote:More info is needed. Are you using nay cheatcodes to boot? Removing a module from the optional folder should absolutely no consequences as they are not loaded during boot if you are not using a cheatcode to load them. Furthermore in all the default ISO's in fresh mode mplayer works fine. Where did you get your MPlayer from?
Just as a confirming exercise please try this out result that I've found odd with my system:

In Porteus 3.0 final XFCE 4.10, open the Desktop Setting panel and note the type of sliders and controls. Then click a mp4 or flash files to check the live mPlayer animation. Close up and replace this XFCE module with the one from 3.0rc1 or rc2 and reboot and inspect the Desktop Settings panel again. Settings controls are different and more advanced and XFCE.org users say that it's XFCE 4.11, not 4.10. You lose any Desktop wallpaper and panel slideshow configurations (and others) created under XFCE 4.11 in 3.0rc1/2, and in addition mPlayer will also refuse to operate under XFCE 4.11 on 3.0 final though it's the more updated version. XFCE here also doesn't allow you to exit then re-login and create a new session in the cyan screen, only click your previously created sessions (In addition, it seems that the XFCE Goodies Synaptic and PPA distribution still carries a faulty dated weather plugin which further exasperated by trouble shooting on a different issue). On the surface from my situation these issues seem a flaw the XFCE folks ought know.

I am currently using a 3.0rc2 Base along with its XFCE 4.11 module because I want to retain my 3.0rc desktop and other configs through I regrettably lose having the 3.0 final's USM Slackware loader.

Any feedback would help my tests!

Jim in NYC

Should I move this post into its own topic since it seems to focus on an 3.0 fin XFCE anomaly beyond just a mPlayer dysfunction?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 23 Apr 2014, 03:33

I havn't had time to boot into XFCE and test this as yet. Ahau (XFCE maintainer) is a little busy with life at the moment I think. Havn't heard from him for a while. I'll check it out soon.

PS: You should be able to use USM with the v3.0rc. Search sourceforge for USM and download the latest slackware package.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.