USM does not find any packages

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
hoemanna
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 3.0

USM does not find any packages

Post#1 by hoemanna » 10 Apr 2014, 21:18

Hello,
I tried to use USM in Porteus 3.0 to install packages (e.g. Shotwell, gimp). It seems whatever I enter there are no findings. I updates all databases with usm -u all but I obtain still no results. Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Slaxmax
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: KDE4

Re: USM does not find any packages

Post#2 by Slaxmax » 10 Apr 2014, 22:00

for example

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -g vlc

The following items were found.
 Choose an number to confirm. 
 ctrl+c to quit

1) vlc-2.1.2-i486-1sl.txz      3) vlc-2.1.4-i486-1alien.txz
2) vlc-2.1.2-i686-1dj.txz      4) vlc-qt-0.10.0-i486-1sl.txz
#? 
doesn't work?
“DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.”
― Bill Gates, The Road Ahead

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 11 Apr 2014, 02:09

What is the output of: usm -v
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

marko
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus v3.0

Post#4 by marko » 12 Apr 2014, 07:55

Hi,
I have the same problem. After looking a lot of time for the right distro, I found Porteus. I works fine on my Presario 2100. But, I can not get any app. I would be satisfied with an email client, but no way. I am new, it is tough to understand all, having in mind that discussions can not help much, as I see that people who discuss have a lot of knowledge. So, if someday I can find a way to install email client, I will be satisfied with what Porteus offers and the laptop will be for my children to make their homeworks on it. :x

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

Post#5 by freestyler » 12 Apr 2014, 11:10

Hi marko, To install software use Porteus package manager (USM), you can find it in your main menu.
After you open it click updates and choose "update USM" to get latest version, then click update all to get the latest list of packages.
From there search any package, select it and click download.
To install it, copy the module from /tmp/usm/ to /porteus/modules/ folder on the drive porteus is installed on and double click it.
https://www.porteus-apps.org

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#6 by francois » 12 Apr 2014, 11:42

Welcome on porteus forum hoemanna and marko:

For now in cli (terminal) mode, try:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~/Downloads# usm -u all
Please give some feedback, if there is some error message or output, copy and paste the content on the forum. Whatever the problem, it will be nailed down. 8)

Thanks.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

marko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by marko » 12 Apr 2014, 11:59

Thank you, this is really important breakthrough for me. My mistake was that I was convinced that Selecting Update all, I update USM as well!! The menu is not clear, just separated with a line, so it does not give the notion that USM update is not included into Update All.
I am selecting just now the packages and downloading Thunderbird. I suppose that the rest will go smoothly.
Thank you very much. I have a feeling that this distro can become my favorite. But I will probably have to add some memory, as at this point I have 445 MB (the resting 60 is reserved for graphic card) - I will try not to, as this is about the old laptops. If you begin to change hardware, this is never-ending game, yes, it is amusing, but must be managed with clear mind. Nevertheless, Porteus saved my Presario 2100 that I already abandoned 10 years ago.
Thank you very much.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by francois » 12 Apr 2014, 14:18

Did you used gui or cli usm?

marko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by marko » 12 Apr 2014, 17:25

I open USM from System Tools / USM.
I downloaded all what I needed. It worked OK. Then I was looking for right folders o copy to. First I tried to /mnt/live/porteus, as this was the only folder where found /porteus folder. Then I realized that here after booting modules are deleted probably because I have Porteus installed on the disk. So I had to make a new folder /porteus in the folder /mnt/, as there was no /porteus folder yet. I copied and double clicked thunderbird from /mnt/porteus (I tried with .xzm and.txz files), checked if it was activated and Thunderbird appeared in the Internet start folder and made a desktop icon as well. Thunderbird executed well.
Then I rebooted / and the Thundebird icon disappeared (!!) from the Internet folder and even desktop icon lost the link. So, what now? Maybe I did not install in the right folder? File manager is no so easy use compared to Windows file managers, ex. Salamader where you can immediately see all the structure.
I still did not try to copy to /porteus folder on the disk directly and now I will make this folder and try to copy thunderbird.xzm to this folder too.

marko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by marko » 12 Apr 2014, 18:22

I tried all possible installations, beginning from /porteus/modules folders, but after rebooting Thunderbird disappears all the time (as well as abiword) after rebooting. I suppose that I should install somewhere else.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by francois » 12 Apr 2014, 18:46

@marko:
The reason is simple. usm produces modules (xzm) and places them into the /tmp/usm/module-x-and-dependencies. The tmp (tmp means temporary) folder is deleted at each time you reboot. Thus you have to move the new modules (xzm) into the /porteus/modules folder to have them permanently on your installation. Also you have to activate the xzm modules to get them going on your installation by double-clicking on each of them or simply by rebooting your system.

There are a lot of useful features that you can get to know by reading the faq or reading the other ongoing threads on the porteus forum.
http://www.porteus.org/faq.html
Last edited by francois on 13 Apr 2014, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

marko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#12 by marko » 12 Apr 2014, 19:02

It seems that at the end I succeeded. I copied thunderbird.txz to /porteus/modules, but then I did not double clicked on the file, but I clicked the right button instead and Install slackware package ... This way Thunderbird loaded on next boot. I hope that my experience will help other newbies. I forgot to say that I downloaded Thunderbird again, but without ckecking Convert to module, so I used the .txz file for copying into the /porteus/modules folder and installing in way I said, using Install slackwave package command.
Maybe I found a bug as well. When I clicked to PCFile Manager on some opportunity, the manager did not load, but I saw it in Task manager pcmanfm - I suppose this is the right file.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by francois » 12 Apr 2014, 20:34

txz are different than xzm. Did you activate xzm or txz?

marko
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by marko » 13 Apr 2014, 13:49

I activated txz.
But is seems that problems are back again, the icon Thunderbird does nor react as well as other icons of Libre Office. But icon are there in the start folders.
I will try to reboot first to check if the icons will react.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#15 by francois » 13 Apr 2014, 18:00

Porteus works with the xzm modules not with txz packages. Please reread the instructions I gave you in the above post about transfering the files to the /porteus/modules folder.

And please at least read the faq about modules. :wink: