Installing Infinality Font Enhancement

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Installing Infinality Font Enhancement

Post#1 by jimwg » 06 Apr 2014, 02:07

Greetings:

Has anyone had any luck installing the Infinality package? Thanks for any clue!

Jim in NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Installing Infinality Font Enhancement

Post#2 by brokenman » 06 Apr 2014, 04:30

The infinality is essentially a patch that is used for compiling the freetype-2.4.12 package. Porteus uses freetype-2.5.0.1-x86_64-1.

I compiled freetype using this patch and to be honest couldn't really see any rendering improvement.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Post#3 by jimwg » 06 Apr 2014, 14:07

brokenman wrote:The infinality is essentially a patch that is used for compiling the freetype-2.4.12 package. Porteus uses freetype-2.5.0.1-x86_64-1.

I compiled freetype using this patch and to be honest couldn't really see any rendering improvement.
Okay, is this 32bit and how do I make sure it's installed? OOoLight text fonts seem dependent on desktop fonts but look scratchy, though other things render alright. Trying to look for best Appearance balnce.

Jim in NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 06 Apr 2014, 17:43

This was done on 64bit. The reason I didn't see any difference is because Porteus is using freetype 2.5.0.1 and the patches are for a lesser version. In short it won't install on Porteus as the freetype version we use is more advanced than the infinality.

You would need to remaster the 002-xorg module by downgrading freetype (which may or may not break other packages). During the compilation of the new freetype package you would apply the infinality patches. If you are not comfortable with compiling software this is not worth the trouble.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.