noob about sharing

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
bean
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

noob about sharing

Post#1 by bean » 02 Feb 2014, 15:39

I've had Linux for a few weeks and of course if you have more than one computer you want to connect them and share files. I have two computers, other is Win7 x64 and other is Porteus x64.
I've been trying to connect these computers for a few days using program Samba and Smb4K. Smb4K can see Windows workgroup which is same in both machines. It can also see the name of a Windows computer (John). It's type is host. If i click John's name in Smb4k, it asks for a username and password for the host John. Whatever i try to insert on those fields (root, host of porteus which is skyd, john and user called deen in Porteus and passwords, Smb4K does not allow me to see Windows share. Sorry if this got complicated, i'm doing my best to make this as clear as i can. Also Windows can't see Porteus.
If i give manual ip address to Windows computer, for example 175.147.168.1 it does not matter because in Smb4K it is always 192.168.0.10. This is confusing. And in Settings -> Network Connections there is an option called Shared to other computers. Should i use this option or because John's ip is 192.168.0.10 in Smb4k, i should use 192.168.0.11 in Porteus?
All i have done to smb.conf is that i have edited WORKGROUP to same as Windows has.
I hope you got some sense of this.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: noob about sharing

Post#2 by brokenman » 03 Feb 2014, 02:14

Firstly you don't say which desktop or Porteus version you are using. In Porteus MATE this should work out of the box for accessing your windows shares. Samba is built in. For other desktops please try using the porteus mount manager. You can start it from a root terminal by typing: porteus-mount-manager

The password that it asks for should be the password of the user on the windows system since that is what you are trying to access.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

bean
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by bean » 03 Feb 2014, 10:03

I'm using XFCE desktop.
When i enter command: porteus-mount-manager as root it gives me this, bash: porteus-mount-manager: command not found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 03 Feb 2014, 20:20

In a terminal type: porteus- and then hit the tab button twice which will give you a list of all the executables starting with porteus. Find the one that looks the closest.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 03 Feb 2014, 22:17

smb4k is for kde4 desktop and i doubt it will work with XFCE without pulling half of the KDE.
i think Ahau compiled gvfs with samba support but left this dep unresolved but i may be wrong.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#6 by Ahau » 04 Feb 2014, 03:37

That is correct, gvfs has samba support compiled in but samba is not present by default - it should be added. I have never used Samba myself, however. When the samba server is up and running, you should be able to transfer files back and forth directly within the file manager, Thunar.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

bean
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by bean » 04 Feb 2014, 14:30

Got it working by Gadmin-tools.