Install: Error Code '1' with i486

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
random110
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Install: Error Code '1' with i486

Post#1 by random110 » 15 Jan 2014, 16:42

Hi,

I am trying to get a simple shell or desktop working on this i486 board and Porteus seems to provide support for this. However my USB bootable install is failing with "error code 1".

Do you have any advice?

Code: Select all

device: /dev/sdb
partition: /dev/sdb1
partition number: 1
partition mount point: /media/usb0
installation path: /media/usb0/boot
subfolder:
filesystem: vfat
bootloader: extlinux
error code: 1
system: XXXX 3.8.0-35-generic x86_64
mount details: /dev/sdb1 /media/usb0 vfat rw,sync,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Installing Porteus to /dev/sdb1
Make sure this is the right partition before proceeding.

Press Enter to continue or Ctrl+c to exit.

Flushing filesystem buffers...

Using extlinux bootloader.

Installation failed with error code '1'.
Please ask for help on the Porteus forum: www.porteus.org/forum
and provide the information from /media/usb0/boot/debug.txt

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Install: Error Code '1' with i486

Post#2 by fanthom » 15 Jan 2014, 21:55

hi random110,

please try installer from Porteus-3.0-rc1 as it has been much improved (it's ok to use it with porteus-2.1):
http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/testing/Po ... -Linux.com

please let me know if you still get the failure and post debug info.
thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

random110
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by random110 » 17 Jan 2014, 01:35

Hi fanthom,

Thanks for the help! That did work.

However I am having further problems during boot now. It seems a little weird because it can be a bit different each time, but my first problem was that the *.sgn could not be found during boot... but sometimes it DOES find it, not sure why. I tried adding sgnfile=/mnt/sda1/*.sgn (with full filename) to the boot params, and that worked once! but then didn't work another time!

Regardless, WHEN/IF it does get past this phase, I will get a page telling me that my disk is in FAT32 and can not save data, then advised to hit enter to continue in "Always Fresh" mode. I have met this screen 3 times already, and everytime I meet this screen I press enter and nothing happens. I wait to see if it is a slow process, but nothing happens.

Keep in mind that this is a very unique architecture, i486 with Vortex86 CPU, likely only intended for factory level work, so I am not too surprised, but I was hoping I could at least get a USB boot working. I have thus far had Debian, DSL, and Puppy linux working from USB boot.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 17 Jan 2014, 06:49

my first problem was that the *.sgn could not be found during boot... but sometimes it DOES find it, not sure why.
please add 'delay=20' cheatcode and see if that helps
WHEN/IF it does get past this phase, I will get a page telling me that my disk is in FAT32 and can not save data, then advised to hit enter to continue in "Always Fresh" mode. I have met this screen 3 times already, and everytime I meet this screen I press enter and nothing happens.
nothing happens because you do not read or implement solution in provided instruction

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#5 by tome » 17 Jan 2014, 09:13

sgnfile=/mnt/sda1/*.sgn
Why sda1? if you connect usb device it should/can be probably changed to sdb1 or similar so don't use this cheatcode if it doesn't work for you. If you want have always sda1 as sda1 (not sdb1) you can try liloinst.sh script (it is in previous Porteus versions) but don't use (or use # at line start)

change-rules
reset
I press enter and nothing happens
- no idea why, should boot in Always Fresh Mode, try without changes= cheatcode
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

random110
Ronin
Ronin

Post#6 by random110 » 19 Jan 2014, 18:04

nothing happens because you do not read or implement solution in provided instruction
If I remember correctly, the instructions were to utilize a hard disk to save data, and/or copy over some files to the hard disk. But that option was not valid for me because I am booting to a board designed for an embedded system with a broken NAND flash drive. I am not bitter that I met this screen 3 times and failed to proceed after 'enter', I am just providing this information in case it is helpful.

I will try some of the other options mentioned here.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 19 Jan 2014, 21:09

@random110
you could create save.dat on the usb you are booting from and save changes to it. if you dont want to save changes then please try 'always fresh' mode or graphic mode but without 'changes=/porteus' cheatcode as suggested by tome.

anyway - the main problem is that booting hangs and this is probably due to some missing drivers in kernel as i used to strip everything whats SoC related (have no intention to change that as i have met only 2 embedded users on this forum).
please boot with 'debug' cheatcode and let me know after which phase booting stops.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#8 by brokenman » 19 Jan 2014, 21:11

Try formatting the USB boot device in ext2 and then putting porteus on it (if this is a viable option for you). Then you won't have to worry about the FAT32 problem you are facing during boot.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.