No CD-DVD rom. Cannot mount it.

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus v2.1 RazoQt

No CD-DVD rom. Cannot mount it.

Post#1 by nixlower0 » 08 Jan 2014, 14:12

Hi everyone! :)
I'm using now Porteus 3 rc-1 32-bit on 4GB flash drive formatted to Ext4. And every time I want to see the content of any dvd or cd, or I want to copy or write any disk I need to use other distribution. I want to do the same on Porteus. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Code: Select all

su
mkdir /mnt/sr0
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/sr0
or

su
mkdir /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
Error opening '/dev/sr0': No medium found
Failed to mount '/dev/sr0': No medium found
Please help me, I didn't found on this forum an answer.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: No CD-DVD rom. Cannot mount it.

Post#2 by fanthom » 08 Jan 2014, 14:27

looks like a missing driver in the kernel config.
please boot any distribution where your CDROM is working fine then run 'lspci -knn' command and paste here the output.
thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by nixlower0 » 08 Jan 2014, 15:17

Here is my output - http://pastebin.com/m5LVmd7K
Thanks!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 09 Jan 2014, 14:28

@nixlower0
is you CDROM connected through PCMCIA/USB/SCSI or something else?
sata_nv and pata_amd drivers are compiled directly into porteus kernel so your device should work ootb if connected through these interfaces.
please answer above question and also generate xpsinfo raport.
thanks

nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by nixlower0 » 10 Jan 2014, 14:14

Sorry for so late answer...
@phhpro
I boot into Porteus with an inserted PertedMagic DVD+RW and there were no sign of presence on the file manager or Desktop of my disk drive, so I decided create manually a mount point, but it didn't helped. On previous Porteus 2.1 I used an Nvidia driver for my Palit GTS 250 E-Green with no problem, but I have problem on my Pioneer dvd drive not a graphic card. The recommended drivers by you, are only for graphic card.
@fanthom
My optical drive is connected with an IDE interface.
Which part of "xpsinfo report" I should to post? When I generated a full report, it wasn't uploading and when I tried manually - "You have exceeded the maximum file size of 500 kilobytes per paste. PRO users don't have this limit!". :(
This time I boot, the optical drive is shown on the file manager left panel and after click on it, the disk present on the drive appeared on the Desktop. But when I pres on it to see what is inside, I have an error - "Failed to open directory "sr0". Permission denied". Maybe after I created the "sr0" directory on /mnt I changed user privilege? I can see the disk content from terminal as Root. Maybe "chown" command or other will help?

P.S.:Other problem experienced since Porteus 2.1 - I have freezes when I'm using Firefox and when it hangs (stops) for some seconds it also stop the music player.
Thanks!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 10 Jan 2014, 15:23

@nixlower0
so it's not a kernel problem but permissions issue. please make sure your /etc/group is ok as we have seen few people with troubles after activating some incorrectly made module.
if you wont be able to solve this issue yourself then please send me your xpsinfo raport on fanthom@porteus.org.
thanks

nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by nixlower0 » 10 Jan 2014, 18:55

Here is my /etc/group
On this picture you can see a strange (for me) group 401 and no access...
I will send the full xpsinfo raport in PM.

I don't know if matters, but since first time I launched Porteus 3, I downloaded from Porteus Package Manager - Brasero and all dependencies after I tried to use Pburn. Pburn recognized my Pioneer drive, but didn't blanked or wrote any disk.

nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by nixlower0 » 11 Jan 2014, 21:13

phhpro wrote:Without going into this any deeper: The copy I tested most certainly had neither VBox, nor Apache, nor most of the other stuff listed. You mentioned Gparted. Are you sure, you are actually using an original Porteus v3 RC1, or rather some custom brew? As fanthom said above, this looks very much a permissions issue.
@phhpro
I said I'm suspecting it is a permission issue, but also the other times I boot into Porteus 3 rc1 the CD drive - sr0 wasn't present! And I always use the official builds of Porteus.
Do you have any idea how do I fix this permission problem? A command like - chown or chmod?

sudo touch /dev/sr0
sudo chown root:disk /dev/sr0
sudo chmod 660 /dev/sr0
Right? Thanks in advance!

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#9 by Ahau » 12 Jan 2014, 07:46

I just tested in 32-bit XFCE 3.0 RC1 and guest was able to load a CD and view the contents in thunar whether the CD was in the machine at boot up or if I add it later (it gets handled the same as a removeable flash drive as far as permissions go, if root mounted it, guest must provide the root password to unmount).

nixlower0, please try booting into 'always fresh' mode and see if the problem goes away. If you don't have the standard bootloader config with the cheatcodes for always fresh mode, please boot as normal except delete 'changes=*whatever*' and add 'nomagic base_only norootcopy'. This should be the first step in debugging any problem in Porteus as it will emulate a clean install. If your CD still isn't working as usual, let me know, and give me the output of 'cat /etc/fstab', 'cat /proc/mounts', and 'ls -l /dev|grep sr'.

If the CD works in always fresh, then boot again, this time without saved changes but you can eliminate nomagic, base_only and norootcopy. If it fails to work after that, I'm guessing it's something in a faulty module, and I would start moving modules from /porteus/modules into /porteus/optional and rebooting until you find the problem one.

If it's still working with everything but your saved changes, go into your saved changes and make sure you delete /dev/sr0, /mnt/sr0, etc. You don't want those in your saved changes as they'll get created for you on every boot up.

When you tried to do this:

sudo touch /dev/sr0
sudo chown root:disk /dev/sr0
sudo chmod 660 /dev/sr0
Were you intending to create /dev/sr0? /dev/sr0 is a device node that is created by the kernel, you don't need to create it (you would of course create a mount point e.g. /mnt/sr0 if you were mounting manually). Also, if you want to create a device node, you'd want to use mknod (see man mknod). I hope that helps, and please let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#10 by nixlower0 » 13 Jan 2014, 18:33

@Ahau Hi. Thanks for the reply. I checked on always fresh mode and the CD icon didn't appeared. But when I inserted a DVD an icon appeared in both - Thunar Menu and Desktop, also I was able to view what was inside the disk, without any root permission.
So, here is what I think happened: I started Porteus from my usb drive and with an empty optic drive, so I didn't found my drive and I tried to create a mount point manually with root permissions. After I created a mount point, I inserted a HBCD disk and I found it on the main scree (Desktop), but I wasn't able to view its content. So, my fault.
I'm very sorry for taking your time - forum-mates!

I will try next - a clean install with format. I will format again my flash drive to Ext4 and copy again all files (from a MD5 checked iso) and install it again. If I prove that was my fault and all is okay this time, then I will close this theme and will sign it as solved.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#11 by Ahau » 16 Jan 2014, 15:58

No worries, nixlower0 :) This type of thing has happened to me more times than I am willing to admit lol.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!