Puppy To Porteus Migration -- Someday Auto?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Puppy To Porteus Migration -- Someday Auto?

Post#1 by jimwg » 05 Jan 2014, 17:04

Greetings!

Well, welcome news to the Porteus community is it'll soon have a herd of home-schoolers -- grades 4 to 8 -- ready and willing to move over to Porteus from Puppy, provided they don't lose their coveted screen-shots and unique panel layouts and file manger settings. They know 3.0 is just beta and are holding on, but in the meanwhile is there any kind of script where they could plug Puppy and Porteus sticks into their desktops and have their basic Puppy parameters and settings migrate over into Porteus? Not even talking about SeaMonkey or LibreOffice settings and mail now (would be ultra great tho'!), just basic panel and screen settings will do! Most all Puppy 5.7.1 sticks are in XFCE, but if migration is more doable going from XFCE to Porteus KDE we can upgrade their Proteus sticks. Just tell us what do!

Thanks!

Jim in NYC

saneks
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.0 XFCE, 2.1 Lxde

Re: Puppy To Porteus Migration -- Someday Auto?

Post#2 by saneks » 05 Jan 2014, 18:29

file manager setting can be taken over if you use the same in puppy as in porteus
xfce settings should also be doable.

press ctrl+H to show hidden files in your home-folder. the xfce and filemanager settings/configs should show up. copy over and you should be good.

saneks
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.0 XFCE, 2.1 Lxde

Post#3 by saneks » 07 Jan 2014, 13:49

excuse me if I made it look too trivial.

you have to find the config files you want on both of your systems and replace them. I did not intend to recommend to just copy over the whole /home/.config folder content - just pointed out how to find the files. and obviously you should use the same program versions on both systems to migrate settings.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 07 Jan 2014, 14:25

just basic panel and screen settings will do!
Not exactly sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the icons/shortcuts in the panel? This should be easy enough if going from xfce --> xfce. Just a matter of copying across the config files rc.xml menu.xml etc.

If you upload a puppy ISO that has been customized i can take a look at how to migrate.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#5 by tome » 07 Jan 2014, 16:59

You can try convert your puppysave file to porteussave.dat or move all folders from puppysave to new porteussave.dat (rename your name - /home/yourname to /home/guest or /root), probably copying of your profile from /home to /home/guest should be enough:
1. create new folder home and guest in it
2. copy here all from /mnt/live/memory/images/00......xzm/home/guest
3. copy your profile files from puppy to guest but don't overwrite anything
4. click right mouse on home, build module and activate
use this with attention and on your own risk (backup files, fresh mode) :roll:

EDIT:
click right mouse button on parent folder for /home/guest
Last edited by tome on 07 Jan 2014, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Post#6 by jimwg » 07 Jan 2014, 18:36

Happy New Year to you!
brokenman wrote:
just basic panel and screen settings will do!
Not exactly sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the icons/shortcuts in the panel?.
Okay, I should've made myself clearer. By "basic configs" I meant all non-app (bad term I know but I'm just a newbie!) configs, like panel, screen layout and icon and font. Things that you would normally have to tediously re-create all over again on a spanking-new virgin desktop. "Secondary" configs would say, include the .configs file on OpenOffice and GIMP and the Mail folder (or recent additions) in SeaMonkey. I know it's easier for me to say than for one to create but I hope I gave the right idea.

The one thing I found (this is not pertaining to you it seems but to too many other techies) is when a newbie makes these kind of suggestions and ideas for basic functions missed on their platforms like migrating configs over, the techie or maven on the other side says "well, just create this folder and move this folder over here then write a small script pointing to that and make it executable, yada yada yada" and I envision a newbie blinking bewildered at this honestly helpful suggestion and saying to themselves, "who needs all this complication? I just wanna get my work done!" and they sidle off to Ubuntu or to the Mac. I just can't overemphasize for up and coming OSes that their 1st priority to harvest users by must be user friendliness and not throw the celestial mechanics textbook at the newbie to show them how to do basics they've done automatically or with minimum complication on Win or Mac. (I remember something similar happening with Be long long ago at a Mac expo here -- they just never 'got it'). I'm just saying that if a basic process can be scripted and executed the OS maven or their pro fans can do their up and coming platform a big favor by writing and warehousing that script for the newbie or surfer to snare their interest and good word of mouth. I think a surfing newbie would be much more understanding and willing to wait for a macro or script that can painlessly migrate their stuff to turn up than be told that you have to turn a mechanic yourself to address such a basic issue. Understand this does NOTHING to take away from the deep passion and excellence of your Porteus work here -- I'm just talking this purely from a PR vantage here to appeal to the masses. This is moot if a OS is really meant to be a "Geek Machine" like Salon quips, but if it's hoped to be used by the masses, do remember they are far from techies and making them have to "tinker under the hood" which Jobs scorned newbies doing, is hard to draw new blood by. Just tell newbies that we see your need and hold on because the fix is coming and that'd be good PR enough.

Just my two cents beta-testing. Thanks.

Jim in icy NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#7 by brokenman » 07 Jan 2014, 22:39

"who needs all this complication? I just wanna get my work done!"
I agree 100%. Technology should be a tool and not something you have to devote all your waking hours (and sanity) to just to make it do what you want. Leave that to the techies. An operating system in my humble opinion falls into this category. It shouldn't be too difficult to get what you want done and this is especially pertinent in the world of distro hoppers.

Ideally this would take two techies. Or one techie that has used both puppy and porteus. I have a full plate right now but can assure you this is on my TODO list.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.