Different config for a new user - no sound & no DNS

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
helmut
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kubuntu, Porteus KDE 2.1

Different config for a new user - no sound & no DNS

Post#1 by helmut » 26 Dec 2013, 20:17

Hello,

I created a new user. I am having problems with no sounds and no DNS when logged under this user.
Sounds works ok under default 'guest', but when logged under my custom user I hear no sound (even has fewer options of audio interfaces in audio settings, even though the primary one used by 'guest' is still there but when I want to test it , it makes no sound) ) and also no DNS nameserver is set - so I have to manually edit /etc/resolve.conf file EACH time and it gets lost after reboot.

What should I do to get this working as under 'guest' user?

Thanks

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Different config for a new user - no sound & no DNS

Post#2 by francois » 26 Dec 2013, 20:31

Welcome helmut. :)

Have a look at this thread for the sound:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=2926

Concerning normal users other than guest, I am not sure it is a good idea. There has been some debate on the forum about it, but I am not able to put a hand on it.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 26 Dec 2013, 21:44

You'll want to make sure your new user has the proper config files in place (I'd start by copying all of /home/guest into /home/$username/ and running chown'ing them to your new user), and make sure your user is a member of all the same groups as guest in /etc/groups. If you're not saving changes, you can copy your resolve.conf file into your rootcopy to have it stick around after boot. If you are using saved changes, there might be more going on in the bootup process (fanthom probably knows offhand) and I can dig into it.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 26 Dec 2013, 22:05

Ahau is right - /etc/group is the key.
anyway - some cheats (like nonetwork) and other system settings are set only for guest/root users so i would recommend to stick to these two.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

helmut
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kubuntu, Porteus KDE 2.1

Post#5 by helmut » 26 Dec 2013, 22:07

Thanks guys for your reply. I was not aware that creating another user comes with such a price.

I decided that instead of spending hours trying to get custom acc going I will modify the default 'guest' one.

Are there any hints how to do this in proper way? I would prefer to have custom name (using moduser) but I noticed that after this the home directory is not changed (after renaming it to the new user name its not recognized).
What steps should I take to do this?

Also another 2 questions:
1.Is installing and using 'sudo' good idea in Porteus?

2. I noticed that there is automatic login to KDE session (can be bypassed by cheatcode 'login=') in porteus.conf file. But this can be easily changed by anyone back to default. Is there a way to prevent such easy bypassing of login to one's account without knowing the password?