Save.dat container (SOLVED)

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Save.dat container

Post#46 by Ed_P » 17 Dec 2013, 03:58

brokenman wrote:In the porteus settings centre (found in the menu)
Found in the System Tools section.
click on the image of the floppy disk at the top. Then click on the session saver button. Please them all into a folder called something like 'mysessions'.
Which must be a POSIX compatible format and NTFS is not. Does saving to a file work as a module? I saved it as a module just in case.
Then you can boot with the cheatcode load=/path/to/mysessions and all the modules in this folder (your saved sessions will be loaded.)
Just to clarify, /path/to/ is E:/Porteus/ or /sda6/Porteus/?
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#47 by brokenman » 17 Dec 2013, 13:31

Ed, if you are using a save.dat file then there is no need to save your session since all changes you make are applied to your save.dat file. That means when you get java to run, whatever you changed was saved into your save.dat file. Might i suggest setting up your system how you like it, and then using the 'save session' function to create a module which you place into the 'modules' folder. Then you can boot into fresh mode and play around. You can't mess anything up and if you want to save your session after doing something you want to keep, save your session again.

It is important to note (thanks phhpro) that you must save the module (save session) onto a linux filesystem otherwise you may mess up important permissions.

Does saving to a file work as a module?
It creates a save.dat file. As tome mentioned you can treat it as a module with more versatility.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#48 by Ed_P » 17 Dec 2013, 16:52

brokenman wrote:Ed, if you are using a save.dat file then there is no need to save your session since all changes you make are applied to your save.dat file.
Exactly, and if I make a bad change or an inadvertent change it gets saved also so when I try to repeat a test I can't.
That means when you get java to run, whatever you changed was saved into your save.dat file. Might i suggest setting up your system how you like it, and then using the 'save session' function to create a module which you place into the 'modules' folder. Then you can boot into fresh mode and play around. You can't mess anything up and if you want to save your session after doing something you want to keep, save your session again.
Yes, I would like to use that approach but ran into a problem noted previously. Can the module be stored within Porteus, ie in a /guest/home/ folder or something? Because the machine I'm running Porteus on is all NTFS so saving to a folder on it isn't allowed. I can save as a module or a file though. Where does Porteus save it's modules?
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#49 by brokenman » 17 Dec 2013, 22:15

Exactly, and if I make a bad change or an inadvertent change it gets saved also so when I try to repeat a test I can't.
Using the two together makes no sense, but there are other options for you.

You can't save your session as a module to anywhere in the aufs file system (e.g /home/guest or /tmp). It must be saved on a real file system (and not NTFS or FAT).

You can however choose to save the session to a save.dat file. This can be an existing save.dat or you can create one. This means you can boot without your changes= cheatcode. Work until you want to save and then save your session into the existing save.dat file (that is not in use).

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#50 by fanthom » 17 Dec 2013, 22:35

@Ed_P
you could also boot with 'changes=EXIT:/path/save.dat' (more info about EXIT: extension in /boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt) and delete /mnt/live/tmp/changes-exit file when dont want to save the session.
if you want to save then do not touch this file.
(now you got some secret porteus knowledge which only advanced users should know)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#51 by Ed_P » 18 Dec 2013, 00:04

brokenman wrote:You can't save your session as a module to anywhere in the aufs file system (e.g /home/guest or /tmp). It must be saved on a real file system (and not NTFS or FAT).
Actually I think I can. On my /mnt/sda6/ NTFS drive I have a changes-131216.xzm file. I haven't booted with the load= cheatcode pointing to it yet so I can't verify that it works.
You can however choose to save the session to a save.dat file. This can be an existing save.dat or you can create one. This means you can boot without your changes= cheatcode. Work until you want to save and then save your session into the existing save.dat file (that is not in use).
But at some point to reuse the saved session I have to use the save.dat file and if I want to tweak it it is in use.
fanthom wrote:@Ed_P
you could also boot with 'changes=EXIT:/path/save.dat' (more info about EXIT: extension in /boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt) and delete /mnt/live/tmp/changes-exit file when dont want to save the session.
if you want to save then do not touch this file.
(now you got some secret porteus knowledge which only advanced users should know)
:D Thanks @fanthom.

At this point when using the changes=EXIT cheatcode I try not to save changes by pressing a key other than enter or space bar when rebooting. But sometimes I forget or am distracted or just plain dumb.
Ed

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Post#52 by jimwg » 18 Dec 2013, 02:30

brokenman wrote:
It is important to note (thanks phhpro) that you must save the module (save session) onto a linux filesystem otherwise you may mess up important permissions..
Seasons Greetings!

I'm just guessing, but is there any way to directly save a session as a image file or a zip file? According my reads those retain all your file's qualities no matter whether you're saving on a Windows or Mac disk or flash.

Just asking and learning!

Jim in NYC

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#53 by Ed_P » 18 Dec 2013, 05:12

Ok, no joy.

Tried load=/changes-131216.xzm - didn't work.
Tried load=/save.xzm (a copy of save.dat renamed) - didn't work.

:(
Ed

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#54 by fanthom » 18 Dec 2013, 09:35

'load=' cheatcode works only for modules placed in /porteus/optional folder. also 'load=' requires a name not a path so please remove '/' so it looks like:

Code: Select all

load=changes-131216.xzm

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#55 by Ed_P » 18 Dec 2013, 15:22

I did try without the / originally and got the same results.

I use the / when I use the changes=EXIT: cheatcode and it works.

kernel /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz    from=/ISOs/Porteus-RazorQT-v2.1-x86_64.iso changes=EXIT:/porteussave.dat 
initrd /boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
All the files are in the same folder, porteussave.dat, porteussave.xzm, changes-131216.xzm.

I suspect load= doesn't like NTFS formatted partitions?
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#56 by brokenman » 18 Dec 2013, 16:53

Actually I think I can
Ok, whatever floats your boat. I wrote the software so that it was impossible to save into the aufs file system by design. Why? Trying to create a save file into the very place that you saving will result in a never ending loop, like trying to save a sinking boat and you are bailing water back into the boat. Try it (not the boat analogy).

also 'load=' requires a name not a path so please remove '/' so it looks like: load=changes-131216.xzm
Seriously, i would listen.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#57 by Ed_P » 18 Dec 2013, 17:29

brokenman wrote:Actually I think I can
Ok, whatever floats your boat. I wrote the software so that it was impossible to save into the aufs file system by design. Why? Trying to create a save file into the very place that you saving will result in a never ending loop, like trying to save a sinking boat and you are bailing water back into the boat. Try it (not the boat analogy).
No, no, no. I didn't try to save a file to a aufs system I saved a module to a NTFS system. I thought you had said I couldn't save a module to an NTFS system that I could only save a file to it.
also 'load=' requires a name not a path so please remove '/' so it looks like: load=changes-131216.xzm
Seriously, i would listen.
See the posting immediately above yours. Seriously, read. :)
Ed

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#58 by fanthom » 18 Dec 2013, 17:36

All the files are in the same folder, porteussave.dat, porteussave.xzm, changes-131216.xzm.
so where do you have them? i wrote clearly in my previous post:
'load=' cheatcode works only for modules placed in /porteus/optional folder.
so please move your changes-131216.xzm to /porteus/optional and use 'load=changes-131216.xzm' cheatcode.
after boot please run 'ls /mnt/live/memory/images | grep changes' command to confirm that changes-131216.xzm was loaded during boot.

if you want to load modules from different folder than /porteus/optional then please use 'extramod=' cheatcode. last thing - please read cheatcodes.txt carefully and get familiarized with all of them as they come handy.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#59 by Ed_P » 18 Dec 2013, 22:24

fanthom wrote:[ i wrote clearly in my previous post:
'load=' cheatcode works only for modules placed in /porteus/optional folder.
!!! Oh crap. I misinterpreted your reference to Porteus/optional as a label verses an actually folder name. :oops: :sorry:
so please move your changes-131216.xzm to /porteus/optional and use 'load=changes-131216.xzm' cheatcode.
after boot please run 'ls /mnt/live/memory/images | grep changes' command to confirm that changes-131216.xzm was loaded during boot.
Yes, of course. Will do.
please read cheatcodes.txt carefully and get familiarized with all of them as they come handy.
:sorry: Yes sir.
Ed

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#60 by Ed_P » 18 Dec 2013, 22:57

kernel /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz    from=/ISOs/Porteus-RazorQT-v2.1-x86_64.iso load=changes-131216.xzm    

guest@porteus:~$ ls /mnt/live/memory/images | grep changes
guest@porteus:~$ su
Password: 
root@porteus:/home/guest# ls /mnt/live/memory/images | grep changes
root@porteus:/home/guest# ls /mnt/live/memory/images
000-kernel.xzm/  001-core.xzm/  002-xorg.xzm/  003-razor.xzm/  04-firefox.xzm/
root@porteus:/home/guest# 
root@porteus:/home/guest# ls /mnt/sda6/Porteus/Optional
changes-131216.xzm*  porteussave.xzm*
root@porteus:/home/guest# 
It was obvious to me that it didn't take since the WiFi password wasn't saved.

kernel /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz    from=/ISOs/Porteus-RazorQT-v2.1-x86_64.iso load=porteussave.xzm    

guest@porteus:~$ ls /mnt/live/memory/images | grep changes
guest@porteus:~$ ls /mnt/live/memory/images
000-kernel.xzm/  001-core.xzm/  002-xorg.xzm/  003-razor.xzm/  04-firefox.xzm/
guest@porteus:~$ 
guest@porteus:~$ ls /mnt/sda6/Porteus/Optional
changes-131216.xzm*  porteussave.xzm*
guest@porteus:~$ 
Same thing with this option.

Renaming the folders from Porteus/Optional to porteus/optional didn't help.
Ed