Getting Porteus to recognize a SAS raid array

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Portyus
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 2.1

Getting Porteus to recognize a SAS raid array

Post#1 by Portyus » 30 Oct 2013, 22:54

Good evening,

I've been using Slax and Porteus for a few years now, and I had Slax 6.02 (yes, ancient I know) running on some rackmount servers hooked up to an Apple XRaid. Everything was running great for about 4 years straight, but we got some new rackmount servers and a Dell Powervault to replace the old stuff. The new server is a Powervault with a PERC 6/i SAS controller (basically an LSI MegaRAID SAS 8708ELP card).

I've been able to download a bunch of different Linux drivers in the hopes that I'll be able to get something to work. So far I got Slackware 13, Debian, and Ubuntu drivers. Now that I've gotten this far, what would be the easiest way to get the drivers into Porteus? I've read some stuff on creating a kernel module, but if there's an easier way of doing this, please let me know.

Thanks!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Getting Porteus to recognize a SAS raid array

Post#2 by fanthom » 31 Oct 2013, 09:51

hi Portyus,

if this driver is included in the kernel tree then unfortunately there is no easy way and you have two choices only:
a) recompile kernel with this driver enabled as per my HOWTO: http://www.porteus.org/component/conten ... ernel.html
b) wait for next Porteus release as i'm willing to add it by default (we care about the size so i'm adding SCSI drivers only on users request)

if this driver is available as standalone then you just need to grab it's sources and recompile against porteus kernel.
if you are not sure then please generate 'xpsinfo' raport and link here.

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.