Moving All Your Root Configs To RAM-Based Operation

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Moving All Your Root Configs To RAM-Based Operation

Post#1 by jimwg » 19 Oct 2013, 22:07

Greetings!

I'm posting this because my forum search terms hasn't come up with a similar topic to tap.

First off I wish to thank the unselfish quietly tolerant assistance I've received here in giving me a real education in linux and Porteus particularly! Thanks you all! You ought be working as heads of customer service!!

Okay, I've finally managed to trial-and-errors configure Porteus.cfg so XFCE copy2ram loads fully in RAM (this is a real flash drive wear and tear saver!!), but I just discovered that it's like you never used your flash before because all your various panel, apps and desktop settings are gone -- even your new root password! I really don't want to mess blind with something this fundamental to the system, so how can I transfer all my current root desktop and app configs into Ram if it's possible. Also, where in Porteus.cfg do I append "login=root" in? It stopped working -- which I hope wasn't a fluke!

Thanks for any hints!

Jim in NYC

linuxnoob
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 2.1

Re: Moving All Your Root Configs To RAM-Based Operation

Post#2 by linuxnoob » 20 Oct 2013, 03:22

you need to compress your changes folder into a module then place that module in your modules folder

this can be done from porteus settings centre, but i prefer to do it manually with a right click then build porteus module

be careful though, you need to keep rebuilding the changes module or you'll lose any extra changes, hope that helps

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Re: Moving All Your Root Configs To RAM-Based Operation

Post#3 by jimwg » 20 Oct 2013, 14:16

linuxnoob wrote:you need to compress your changes folder into a module then place that module in your modules folder

this can be done from porteus settings centre, but i prefer to do it manually with a right click then build porteus module

be careful though, you need to keep rebuilding the changes module or you'll lose any extra changes, hope that helps
Thanks! I'll try it out!

Jim in NYC