A Newbie Nutshell Way To Install OpenOffice and Java

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

A Newbie Nutshell Way To Install OpenOffice and Java

Post#1 by jimwg » 10 Oct 2013, 09:29

Greetings!

I am a Linux newbie and a Mac refugee and I was just dabbing in Puppy when I just discovered Porteus (32bit Razor) and I LIKE what I see and would like to spread it through our home school. I wish to use OpenOffice on it, though if that's too complicated to install I'll settle for LibreOffice. All I request is a rock-bottom simple way of getting it up and running on Porteus via a hotlink to either app and one to the right Java file which I read they need for a turn-key simple way for a class of total non-techies to get going to test out Porteus.

Thanks for any assist!

Jim in NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: A Newbie Nutshell Way To Install OpenOffice and Java

Post#2 by brokenman » 10 Oct 2013, 12:25

Welcome jimwg!

You neglected to include if you are using 32bit or 64bit Porteus. This is important when requesting a program. I will assume you are using 64bit for this instruction. If you are using 32bit just change x86_64 --> i486 in the link.

http://dl3.porteus.org/x86_64/current/modules/

At this link you can download the 06-libreoffice.xzm module. You can activate (install) it by double clicking on it. You won't require the JDK package to get it running and test it out. It may be required for some advanced functionality. If you want it just search the forum for JDK.

You will need to place the downloaded module into the portues/modules folder (on your installation media) if you want it to be loaded at every boot.

Good luck and welcome to Porteus,
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#3 by jimwg » 10 Oct 2013, 16:28

Thanks for your swift reply!
We went to http://dl3.porteus.org/i486/modules/office/ and clicked on
http://dl3.porteus.org/i486/modules/off ... 1alien.xzm and received no file, just gibberish. Also we're clueless exactly how to find the downloaded module and where the portues/modules folder is to put it in. Is there a "map" feature we can use?

Re: Regarding a haughty techie user's response to my same question here posted on a Puppy site's Other Linux Flavors Forum and who obviously haunts this site:
If it is all all possible, I ask all Porteus users to please furnish newbies hot links or more specific directions to find files or info than just telling us to search forums and web high and low for files or info. I KNOW how much hard work is put into building and running forums and sysops feel cheated when newbies seem to be asking for shortcuts to bypass all their hard labored web-building and instructions out of laziness and stupidity rather than being forced to be tech-educated, but OS mavens and techies must not only try not to forget where they came but be humble and considerate of "clueless" newbies just venturing into their technical jungle if you wish them to stay and nibble the fruit and spread the OS gospel. Newbies will hang around to get educated the techie ropes if the environment's friendly like here, but there's no reason for techies to be haughty and give newbies a hard time trying to ford stormy waters which are invisibly easy to them.
Sorry about this spiel regarding a really inconsiderate techie, but I just don't want Puppy or Porteus to share the fatal newbie disregard that had a large hand in the tiny user share and fall of Be and Mindset computers in my day. I wish to see as many new people as possible exposed to and using Porteus as I enjoy possible too.

Keep up the great work!

Jim in NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 by brokenman » 10 Oct 2013, 16:52

but there's no reason for techies to be haughty and give newbies a hard time trying to ford stormy waters which are invisibly easy to them.
Wow, I thought Porteus was one of the forums that most certainly did not act in this arrogant way. If you find examples (where the OP didn't intentionally ruffle our feathers) please point them out.
That's not the link I posted above. Try http://dl3.porteus.org/i486/current/modules/
Also we're clueless exactly how to find the downloaded module
After right clicking on the libreoffice module, choose save as. Save it into /home/guest or /tmp or somewhere you know. The porteus/modules folder is on the media that installed Porteus on. Please open a console (the black TV looking icon on the taskbar) and type in: cat /var/log/porteus-livedbg and then post the output here.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#5 by jimwg » 11 Oct 2013, 00:54

brokenman wrote:
but there's no reason for techies to be haughty and give newbies a hard time trying to ford stormy waters which are invisibly easy to them.
Wow, I thought Porteus was one of the forums that most certainly did not act in this arrogant way. If you find examples (where the OP didn't intentionally ruffle our feathers) please point them out.
That's not the link I posted above. Try http://dl3.porteus.org/i486/current/modules/
Also we're clueless exactly how to find the downloaded module
After right clicking on the libreoffice module, choose save as. Save it into /home/guest or /tmp or somewhere you know. The porteus/modules folder is on the media that installed Porteus on. Please open a console (the black TV looking icon on the taskbar) and type in: cat /var/log/porteus-livedbg and then post the output here.

Thanks for your understanding! We hope this is what you requested!

guest@porteus:~$ cat /var/log/porteus-livedbg
# Recognized devices:
/dev/sda1: UUID="E8701CFA701CD0E4" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="c91f7278-77b9-4313-bec0-ba365100f0f5" TYPE="ext4"

# Booting device:
/mnt/sdb1

# Porteus data found in:
/mnt/sdb1/porteus

# Changes are stored in:
/porteus

# Non standard /rootcopy dir:
none

# Modules activated during boot time:
/mnt/sdb1/porteus/base/000-kernel.xzm
/mnt/sdb1/porteus/base/001-core.xzm
/mnt/sdb1/porteus/base/002-xorg.xzm
/mnt/sdb1/porteus/base/003-razor.xzm
/mnt/sdb1/porteus/base/04-firefox.xzm
/mnt/sdb1/porteus/modules/001-core_fixes-alldesktops-20130910-i486-1prt.xzm
/mnt/sdb1/porteus/modules/06-libreoffice.xzm
/mnt/sdb1/porteus/modules/ppm-slackware-database-2.1-noarch-1.xzm
/mnt/sdb1/porteus/modules/seamonkey-2.20-i486-2_slack14.0.xzm
guest@porteus:~$

Though we're reading through the Porteus Settings Centre info notes, we haven't come across how to put a LibreOffice quickstart icon on the bottom toolbar panel, and whether there's a way to also make that panel hide like with Puppy. We used search terms here like "quickstart icon" and "hide toolbar" but nothing comes up. So far it's good sailing with Porteus.

Thanks!

Jim in NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 by brokenman » 12 Oct 2013, 02:06

Smooth sailing. It looks as though libre office should be working OK. Razor has not yet implemented an auto hiding panel upstream, but I believe they are planning this for the next release. I will have to wait until tomorrow to answer about how to add an icon from the menu to the razor panel. Have you tried drafging and dropping an item?