Install Software out of PPM & delete dependencies

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
debo
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 2.1, Debian Jessie

Install Software out of PPM & delete dependencies

Post#1 by debo » 09 Oct 2013, 09:43

Hello Porteus Community,

i hope you guys and females understand me, because i cannot speak and write well in english.

Is it possible to install and update software like Calibre, Firefox, LibreOffice and so on manually to /opt/ without having problems like in most other distros?
The reason i ask, Porteus is very small as well it seems different to other linux distros and i'm certain some of these programs have dependencies wich i have to install to get run these programs. Besides, i don't like the module based repository. Some of there are outdatet, the repository is to small and it's more complicated to ply the configuration files, because of the module based system.

And...
I've installad with PPM some packages/modules wich i no longer need. How can i delete these packages/modules with all dependencies? To delete one module seems easy, but how can i delete the module with all installed dependencies? There not enough items in my module folder for all installed dependencies. Where can i find them, is there a separate folder for additional packages/modules or depends it on the package/module?

Best regards from debo. :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Install Software out of PPM & delete dependencies

Post#2 by brokenman » 10 Oct 2013, 19:57

Some of there are outdate
We stay with the slackware stable packages.

You should have no trouble compiling software into /opt and updating them using slackware tools but you will need to understand how our modules work. You will also need to be using changes= cheatcodes.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Install Software out of PPM & delete dependencies

Post#3 by fanthom » 10 Oct 2013, 20:15

How can i delete these packages/modules with all dependencies?
PPM has pretty awesome (credits goes to brokenman) function called 'deactivate' which lists all deps no longer used by any other module.

i have done following test: downloaded and activated 'x11vnc' module (from 64bit repo) and following deps were pulled in:

Code: Select all

gnutls-3.0.31-x86_64-1_slack14.0.xzm
guile-1.8.8-x86_64-1.xzm
libvncserver-0.9.9-x86_64-1ftm.xzm
nettle-2.5-x86_64-1.xzm
p11-kit-0.13-x86_64-1fg.xzm
then i have deactivated (through PPM) x11vnc module and all deps listed above were shown as not needed anymore.
simple and efficient :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.