[SOLVED] Reconfigure for low RAM

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
gabe
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: 2.1 MATE

Re: Reconfigure for low RAM

Post#46 by gabe » 12 Oct 2013, 17:59

I'm able to use Gmail in basic HTML mode.
I had launched Netsurf from the Application Menu so I didn't see those errors. I launched it from the console and got the same errors. I executed the find cmd then executed the netsurf-gtk again and still got the errors. The browser appears to run okay so what do those errors mean?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#47 by brokenman » 12 Oct 2013, 18:42

Those errors mean that https will be unavailable.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

gabe
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#48 by gabe » 12 Oct 2013, 20:46

I tried several other browsers (Arora, Uzbl, Luakit) - they all appeared to install successfully but I couldn't get any of them to launch. I think I'll stick with Netsurf. It seems to work okay on the sites I would access. One quirk I noticed - when going onto a music streaming site (magnatune.com) instead of streaming songs it downloads them. Any way to change this?

Aside from that, I have a system I can live with so I think it's safe to consider this thread solved. I have a WiFi issue that may require a new thread but I'll save that for another day.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in my first real experience with Linux. It's been a satisfying experience. Maybe next time I can lose the "newbie" tag.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#49 by brokenman » 13 Oct 2013, 00:43

It's an honor that your introduction into the world of linux was with us. And it's awesome that you found it relatively painless. I'm not sure why netsurf downloads instead of streaming, but most likely it doesn't support the protocol used to stream and doesn't have the plugins required. Looking at the netsurf websites I don't think they ever will. They seem to be against plugins.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#50 by fanthom » 13 Oct 2013, 07:48

maybe opera is worth a try?

just launched LXDE+Opera in vbox with 256MB RAM assigned to the guest and got only 89MB of RAM taken by this setup:
http://i43.tinypic.com/o573uv.jpg
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

gabe
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#51 by gabe » 14 Oct 2013, 15:00

I started to install Opera but it seem to need a ton of dependencies so I figured it might be too much of a heavyweight for me so I aborted the installation. With this new information I'll definitely give it a try later today. I always liked Opera in Windows so I hope it works.

gabe
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#52 by gabe » 15 Oct 2013, 00:25

Well, I thought I was done with this project but I discovered that TightVNC won't run with Netsurf installed and that's a program I was planning on using a lot. So I had to revert back to Dillo again. I tried several times to install Opera but without any success. My WiFi keeps dropping off during the install even though the WiFi icon says I'm still connected with a strong signal. Probably a topic for a new thread. Anyway, after multiple reconnects I get to the end of the Opera installation saying I need to install 5 slackware modules. I start to install them and it looks like three get installed and then I get an error message saying that it appears there aren't 5 modules available. The installation then finishes but there is no sign of Opera anywhere in the system. Can I assume the module should've shown up in the /porteus/modules directory?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#53 by fanthom » 15 Oct 2013, 07:26

maybe you could use our web wizard and just select opera instead of firefox?
http://build.porteus.org/

or maybe you could download opera as standalone module from our repository and replace firefox manually with it?
http://dl.porteus.org/i486/current/modules/

no need to resolve any deps...

gabe
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#54 by gabe » 15 Oct 2013, 10:45

I was hesitant to use the wizard because I thought re-installing a totally new version would overwrite any tweaks I've already made. I believed downloading Opera through the PPM was the correct way to install it. Didn't realize there was a direct link to it. That's definitely the way for me to go. Thanks for the tip.

gabe
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#55 by gabe » 15 Oct 2013, 14:27

Couldn't get Opera to work. Tried putting the module in the /modules directory and activating it. I get the icons on the desktop and in the internet menu but nothing happens when I click on either one. I tried burning a new CD using the wizard but for some reason I couldn't boot from it. Tried the "Always fresh" option with the same results. I decided to take the plunge and start from scratch so I erased my /mnt/sda1 directory. This time I was able to boot off the CD. I tried running opera from the live CD but got the same results. I installed this version to the hard disk and rebooted but still nothing happens when I try to launch Opera. I still have my swap file and I used the zram option when I ran the wizard. Any clue as to where I'm going wrong?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#56 by fanthom » 15 Oct 2013, 15:25

please open terminal and run opera from there then paste any debug/crash info here.

gabe
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#57 by gabe » 15 Oct 2013, 22:41

I'm not completely sure how to run opera from the terminal. Logged in as root, I navigated to the /usr/lib/opera directory because I found an executable opera file there. I entered "opera" for the command which returned an illegal instruction error. Then I tried "sh opera" because I thought the file was a shell script and it returned "cannot execute binary file". I tried going into file manager and executing the file from there but it did nothing. Executing in the terminal from the file manager briefly opens up the terminal but it immediately shuts down without any visible errors.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#58 by fanthom » 15 Oct 2013, 23:44

I entered "opera" for the command which returned an illegal instruction error.
bad news - looks like opera was compiled with sse2 or sse3 instructions which your CPU does not support. that's a pity as package claims i386 compatibility...
or maybe opera links to some i686 library? please run following command to make sure you do not have any i686 package in your system:

Code: Select all

ls /var/log/packages | grep i686
if you do then query relevant maintainer:
http://www.porteus.org/contact-us

also - please check chrome (just in case) but i'm worrying that you may have to stick to dillo/midori/etc...

gabe
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#59 by gabe » 16 Oct 2013, 02:42

Executing that command didn't return anything. I take it that means I don't have any i686 packages?

Is Midori ready to try?

I downloaded chrome from the i486 archive where you previously told me to get the opera module. However, your previous post implies I should be using i386 modules. After installing and activating chrome, I get the small desktop icon at the bottom of the screen and the icon in the internet menu. Clicking on them doesn't do anything - same as opera. Executing "google-chrome" in the terminal returns an illegal instruction error just like opera.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#60 by brokenman » 16 Oct 2013, 14:48

Midori is now ready for use inthe repo throug PPM. i486 is sufficient and Porteus packages are mostly compiled for this.