Installed keepassx does not run

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
offerus
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: debian

Installed keepassx does not run

Post#1 by offerus » 08 Oct 2013, 10:18

Hello everybody,

firstly I want to thank you for Porteus :) It's a great distribution and it makes things a lot easyer. I'm running Porteus-v2.1 with MATE and everything works fine so far.

"My" idea is to store all my Passwords in a keepassX container and have them available on a trustable Porteus wherever I am. KeepassX is available through the Debian archiv. My problem is, that my keepassX does not open. I download the package, activate the module and the message appears that the module was activated successfully. KeepassX appears in Applications -> Accessories, but when i try to open it, nothing happens. Also when i try to open my keepassX container with keepassX it doesn't work.

KeepassX has a lot of dependencies: libc6, libgcc1, libx, libqt4,... Do i have to install all of them manually? That would mean a lot of work and i'm not sure which versions of the libraries i need exactly.

Regards,
Offerus

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Installed keepassx does not run

Post#2 by brokenman » 08 Oct 2013, 12:20

The best way to install this is through the Porteus Package Manager. Thats the blue icon on the taskbar. Open it and let it update, then search for the keepassx package. It should resolve all packages for you.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

offerus
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by offerus » 08 Oct 2013, 12:51

Sorry, i have forgotten to write that: Thats exactly the way i installed it. But keepassx is just in the Debian archiv not in Slackware.

Is it possible that it is a bug that the program does not open, even though i installed it with the Porteus Package Manager?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 by brokenman » 08 Oct 2013, 13:00

You don't mention which architecture you are using, but checking the 64bit repo the only dependency required for keepassx is qt. After downloading it keepassx opened without any problems.

offerus
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by offerus » 08 Oct 2013, 13:27

I use 32 bit, but nevertheless i will give it a try. There are so many qt packages, which one have you used? I tried qt4-qmake-4:4.8.2+dfsg-i386-1 but that does not work.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#6 by fanthom » 08 Oct 2013, 15:20

@offerus
you need to get 'qt' package from slackware repository.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

offerus
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by offerus » 08 Oct 2013, 15:48

Ah thank you :) Sorry, but i still have installing problems. I'm using Debian for a while, but i didn't know, that i'm so bad at Linux:

I have now downloaded the qt-4.8.2-i486-4.txz file. But when i select "Install packages" in PPM, the filename is gray and i can't select it. When i click on qt-4.8.2-i486-4.txz in Caja with the right mouse button and select "install slack package" nothing happens, even if i use chmod 777. When i extract it and open doinst.sh in the terminal nothing happens. I even can't copy the "etc" and "usr" file into root. I don't get it :/

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 by brokenman » 09 Oct 2013, 01:10

There was an update which fixed the right click menu in Caja. Please update porteus using the Porteus Settings Centre (or the Porteus menu in Mate). After that the right click install should work.

You can also install the package from a console: installpkg /path/to/qt-4.7.8*.txz
You can also convert the package to a module and place it in the modules folder so it is loaded at every boot: txz2xzm /path/to/qt-4.7.8*.txz /tmp/qt-4.7.8-i486-1.xzm
You may even be able to simply double click on the item from Caja.

offerus
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by offerus » 10 Oct 2013, 08:27

Thank you very much!!! It finally works :) One question btw: Where do i see which dependencies a package has?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 by brokenman » 10 Oct 2013, 12:54

If it is a porteus compliant module (from the repo) then you can check under /var/porteus/package-name-1.2.3.info which will show you the required libraries. The package manager script searches for which packages own these libraries. The easiest way is probably to search for the package using PPM and go through the steps of downloading it. The last step before downloading will show you which packages are dependencies. Keep in mind that it will only show the packages which you don't already have installed on your system.

I also built a useful function into PPM which allows you to pass a file full of libraries and have it show you which packages the libraries belong to. This may be useful in this case. You could put the libraries from the .info file (one per line) into a file and then pass it to PPM. It is found on the main porteus page under 'libraries'.