Why would a linux system not log in to a network

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
notadonut
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: PeppermintOS

Why would a linux system not log in to a network

Post#1 by notadonut » 04 Oct 2013, 19:27

I know someone who had Ubuntu on a laptop and could not log in to a university wifi network, even though two other people tried logging in with their own username and password. They suggested he go to the department that handles computer problems and ask them what the cause was, but he assumed it was due to using a Linux system instead of a windows and just went somewhere else. Does anyone have an idea what the cause of him not being able to log in was? The username and password were correct. There is no doubt about that.

It is appropriate for me to ask this here, because I am considering install Porteus Kiosk on a laptop and I want to know every limitation it could face. It wouldn't do me any good to rent (or sell or give) a laptop to a college student at the local university if he won't even be able to log in to use the internet.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: Why would a linux system not log in to a network

Post#2 by wread » 04 Oct 2013, 19:45

The wifi network is not open, ask for the key... :)
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Why would a linux system not log in to a network

Post#3 by brokenman » 04 Oct 2013, 20:47

The question is very vague. You don't mention enough information to even guess. In order to answer this we would need to know about the network encryption, if you are talking about simply connecting to a wifi hotspot or logging into an intranet via browser (after already connecting to the hotspot). If you are talking about simply connecting to a wifi hotspot offered by the university then I would say that the kiosk version of Porteus is suitable.

As for your friend ... my intuition is user error.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.