have a program load when porteus has fully loaded? [solved]

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: 1.2 - i486

have a program load when porteus has fully loaded? [solved]

Post#1 by phill42083 » 10 Aug 2013, 05:04

:wall: :wall: :wall: My question is how can I have a program load when porteus has fully loaded? I know you can load things using under boot in the settings centre i think its called for a startup script but x isnt loaded before this and the program I want to load requires x to be loaded first. I have gotten part of what I wanted to startup but the last part wont load without x so after everything fully loads I have to click an Icon i created to load it but I would like to do this automatically. Please someone help, I have tried alost everything I can think of and have searched alot about this. :wall: :wall: :wall:
Last edited by phill42083 on 13 Aug 2013, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: How can I have a program load when porteus has fully loa

Post#2 by fanthom » 10 Aug 2013, 08:58

please install porteus 2.1 (if you havent yet) and use 'guiexec=' cheatcode as described in /boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt
please check other cheatcodes as well as they are extremely useful.

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by phill42083 » 11 Aug 2013, 07:03

It's there a way to do this using version 1.2? I have everything working perfectly except for this one thing. I don't want to switch and have to make changes. I just want my xmms to load automatically once I turn my computer on and in order to do this x has to be loaded first.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 11 Aug 2013, 09:02

please search /opt/porteus-scripts folder for script called 'paths' and add xmms startup command there like:

Code: Select all

xmms &

phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by phill42083 » 12 Aug 2013, 03:08

I tried what you said and it still doesn't work. File was located in xorg folder. I am running v1.2 from a usb stick (live). I just created an xzm with the modified file inside so it extracts in the correct folder on load. Did I do this correctly? I just added command below the rest as written above. Doesn't load until I click the link I created and put in an xzm that extracts in my desktop. I know the files located in base folder 002-xorg, do I have to modify this? Just wondering if my changes are being made after its already loaded? my modified file I created is over writting the old one after the fact, only reason I can think of its not working.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 12 Aug 2013, 07:14

i'm confused with your setup ("Doesn't load until I click the link I created and put in an xzm that extracts in my desktop." ?) but for sure your modified 'paths' script must be available at the time when desktop finishes loading.
please use /rootcopy folder to make sure nothing overwrites the 'paths' script or use Autostart folder (are you using Trinity?) as explained here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Au ... #Graphical

phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by phill42083 » 13 Aug 2013, 05:36

Thank you so much for your help, worked prefect! :Yahoo!: I was dumb when I created an xzm with the edited file. Thanks again.