[Solved]Network printer Install

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
williepabon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS

[Solved]Network printer Install

Post#1 by williepabon » 09 Aug 2013, 01:33

I have a Brother HL-2270DW connected to my home network (ethernet). On my Ubuntu Linux boxes, I installed the drivers from Brother (cupswrapper.--.deb) and I can print from these machines, no problems. Now, I want to send print jobs to that network printer from my Porteus installation. What needs to be done to get it? Thanks.
Last edited by williepabon on 11 Aug 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Network printer Install

Post#2 by francois » 09 Aug 2013, 01:55

INSTALLING A NETWORK PRINTER

A. with system-config-printer(usb and network), see:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... ig+printer
1)Once you have rebooted:
porteus menu > system > printing
will lead you to the system-config-printer gui.
2) in the menu select server > new
3) your printer should appear if it is usb connected, select it and follow the recommendations.
4) your printer is network, try the recommendation or if it does not work select the internet printing protocol (ipp) and provide the internet address of your printer. For example: ipp://192.168.20.138 or ipp://10.0.0.7. If the recommendation under ipp selection does not seem to make sense, select your specific printer model or its generic equivalent. You might have to assign a fix address to your printer under your router interface.
5) If you do not know what should be the ipp address for you network of the generic equivalent of you printer, just ask on the porteus forum stating according to the case, your modem or your printer manufacturer and model.
B. wIth CUPS, see:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=822
1 ) start CUPS http://localhost:631/admin/
2 ) add printer
3 ) AppSocket/HP JetDirect
4 ) Connection: socket://hostname (examples: socket://192.168.1.7 or socket://10.0.0.7, the ip address to be found in your router administration program)
5 ) Name: The printer name (example: BROTHER-HL2170W or BROTHER-MFC-7860DW-NETWORK)
6 ) Model: The model name (example: Brother-HL-1040 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.6 (en))
7 ) Set Default options: Set Default Options (unless you are more refined than me)
Enjoy! :wink:
Last edited by francois on 11 Aug 2013, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

williepabon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by williepabon » 09 Aug 2013, 15:44

francois:

Thanks for the help you are giving. I tried both (A and B) of your suggestions and essentially what happens is that I have communications with the printer, but any job a I send get stuck in the que (not printed) except when I do a printer self-test, where it prints a message that says: "If you can read this you are using the wrong driver for your printer". That happens regardless of the driver I use. Any ideas? Thanks.
wp :wall:

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by francois » 09 Aug 2013, 15:51

Here once more you would be better with porteus 2.1. From this version, there is a print pack that automates the installation, printing.xzm:
http://dl.porteus.org/i486/current/modules/

This will work only under 2.1 os.

I have a brother printer, by any ways, we will sort it out.

With what type of installation are you working now? usb, hdd, cd? Usb and hdd (or frugal) are really the best installs. 8)

williepabon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by williepabon » 09 Aug 2013, 18:55

francois:
With what type of installation are you working now? usb, hdd, cd?
My installation is in a usb flash drive. It seems that I should upgrade my OS to v2.1. Is it possible to upgrade to 2.1 keeping my existing configurations/settings? How do I do it? Thanks.
wp

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by francois » 09 Aug 2013, 19:57

I think that it should be compatible, but brokenman, hamza or fanthom would confirm that even more surely. There is a way to save your actual installation and put in its place porteus 2.1 final.

This will work if you have a linux file system change folder that is not a .dat. If it is your case, we will try to alter the procedure accordingly.

1) download porteus 2.1 iso into the /home/guest/Downloads/
2) mount 2.1 with:
root@porteus:~# cd /home/guest/Downloads/
root@porteus:~# mloop porteus-exact-name

If you want you can verify the integrity of your copy of porteus with md5sum command, but usually its good.

3) rename your old system from porteus to porteus20 and boot to boot20
4) copy-paste the new boot and porteus folders in /mnt/mloop folder to the folder where are porteus20 and boot20
5) copy-paste all the modules that you had from porteus20 to porteus
6) reboot.

:twisted:

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by francois » 09 Aug 2013, 21:19

As you are on usb, I would change for linux filesystem, this would spare you from using a save.dat folder. I saw in your other thread that Donald assumed that you were on ntfs or fat32. Is it the case. In addition, do you need a window partition on that usb of yours, as you could function with two partitions. :)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#8 by Ahau » 09 Aug 2013, 21:20

Once you install 2.1 and add the printing module, this might work out of the box for you (via gutenprint) without the need for additional drivers. If that is not the case, however, you'll need to install the brother drivers. Most of the brother printers are supported in the Porteus Print Pack with PPD's, but I don't think there is a PPD for this one there -- openprinting.org lists this model as a "paperweight" and doesn't host a PPD for it and that's where I pulled all of the brother PPD's. So, if you go for the brother drivers, you'll probably want to download the rpm packages (I believe the rpm's convert better for Slackware-based distros than the deb's) from the brother site: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... #HL-2270DW and convert them to xzm's with the 'rpm2xzm' utility and place the resulting modules in /porteus/modules on your flash drive. If you're using 32-bit Porteus, then the driver should be functional after you reboot or activate those modules, but if you're using 64-bit, you'll also need the 32-bit compat module, here: http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/packages/c ... 64-1sl.xzm

Brother doesn't package their drivers with 64-bit support for some silly reason.

HTH!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by francois » 09 Aug 2013, 21:32

Willie,

Do not hesitate to ask questions, I will be around tonite. I am on us eastern time. :)

williepabon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#10 by williepabon » 09 Aug 2013, 21:53

francois, and the other guys:

Thanks for your inputs and suggestions. Because of the benefits of moving to version 2.1(as it was suggested), I decided to do a clean install for that version, first creating a build with specific applications that I wanted, following the instructions from the website: Download > Desktop Edition and using the wizard to select what I wanted (Chrome browser, LibreOffice, printing system,etc). Everything went well up to the point when I ran the shell script to perform the installation (running Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com) from the usb flash drive. The script insists on mounting the OS on the home directory of my Ubuntu Linux machine and not in the flash drive. I must be doing something wrong. Please, advice. Thanks.
wp

PS
If this might be of help, when I run the script there's a line that says:
.porteus_installer/installer.com: line 13: realpath: command not found

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#11 by Ahau » 09 Aug 2013, 22:34

Seems like our installer may not be compatible with Ubuntu, perhaps just the version you are running. Try booting into your older porteus version and run the install from there, or burn your iso to cd, boot from that and run the graphical installer from the menu.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

williepabon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#12 by williepabon » 09 Aug 2013, 23:52

Ahau wrote:Seems like our installer may not be compatible with Ubuntu, perhaps just the version you are running. Try booting into your older porteus version and run the install from there, or burn your iso to cd, boot from that and run the graphical installer from the menu.
Thanks. I, in fact did that. Used the installer of version 2.0 to run version 2.1, and this is what I get:

root@william-VirtualBox:/media/Porteus# sudo sh Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Porteus Installer......

_.====.._
,:._ ~-_
'\ ~-_
\ \.
,/ ~-_
-..__..-'' PORTEUS ~~--..__

==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--

Installing Porteus to /dev/sdb1
Make sure this is the right partition before proceeding.

Press Enter to continue or Ctrl+c to exit.

Flushing filesystem buffers...

Using extlinux bootloader.

Installation failed with error code '4'.
Please ask for help on the Porteus forum: http://www.porteus.org/forum
and provide the following information: the error code received,
the filesystem type and your partition layout for this device.

Exiting now...

So, the old installer recognizes the correct device (/dev/sdb1), but fails for something else. So, the old installer works OK for version 2.0 but not for version 2.1. The installer for version 2.1 has a problem to recognize where to make the installation. On both cases I'm using the same version of Ubuntu Linux (12.04 LTS) and the same machine to do the installation, so I think it is not an issue of the Linux OS, but the installation script. I haven't tried installing from CD yet. Hope there will be a solution for this soon. Thanks.
wp

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by francois » 10 Aug 2013, 01:21

Ahau knows best, but from my experience its impossible to install from sdb1, if you are on sdb1. For sure the cd method will work or if you have a second usb key, you are in business. 8)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#14 by fanthom » 10 Aug 2013, 08:50

@guys
you have overlooked one important thing - 2.1 installer requires 'realpath' utility

Code: Select all

which is a part of the core system on every linux distro i know.

@williepabon
please install this utility and run 2.1 installer again.
if you get other troubles then please boot Porteus-2.1 ISO (and not Ubuntu) in virtualbox then perform installation on the stick in any way you want.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

williepabon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#15 by williepabon » 10 Aug 2013, 14:17

fanthom wrote:@guys
you have overlooked one important thing - 2.1 installer requires 'realpath' utility

Code: Select all

which is a part of the core system on every linux distro i know.

@williepabon
please install this utility and run 2.1 installer again.
if you get other troubles then please boot Porteus-2.1 ISO (and not Ubuntu) in virtualbox then perform installation on the stick in any way you want.
fanthom:

Thank you very much. I installed the realpath utility in my OS and that solved the installation problem. Now I will try the the network printer install, that was my original problem. Thanks again. :Yahoo!:
wp