SOLVED.Where are the disk icons in the side column of thunar

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
TomasXu
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus , Fedora

SOLVED.Where are the disk icons in the side column of thunar

Post#1 by TomasXu » 11 Jun 2013, 04:50

Hi,

I am confused that thunar doesn't have disk icons shown in the side column as dolphin (of KDE4) and PCmanFM (of LXDE) do(or does?).
This is pretty annoying because I have to navigate to /mnt all the time to explore my disk contents.

How can I make the disk icons available in the side column of thunar?
Last edited by TomasXu on 21 Jul 2013, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Where are the disk icons in the side column of thunar?

Post#2 by Ahau » 11 Jun 2013, 05:19

This is because thunar is using udisks2 for mounting drives, and udisks 2 doesn't seem to allow this behaviour (pcmanfm and dolphin use udisks1). As a workaround, create a shortcut: navigate to /mnt, then click and drag the folder into the left pane, under "places". That will create the shortcut.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

TomasXu
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by TomasXu » 12 Jun 2013, 15:21

Ahau wrote:navigate to /mnt, then click and drag the folder into the left pane, under "places". That will create the shortcut.
This sounds like a fallback solution. : :shock:
But will porteus team make an announcement for this drawback in the future release?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 12 Jun 2013, 17:00

Being a release candidate, this is the type of feedback we are looking for. These releases are to see what the community prefers and for finding and fixing bugs. I imagine Ahau was just offering you a short term solution so you can get by for the rest of rc1's life and he will address the issue in rc2. There are other drawbacks to udisks2 that we have noticed such as the mount path for removable media.

Thanks for your attention.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#5 by Ahau » 12 Jun 2013, 21:58

This has been the default behavior in thunar since Porteus version 2.0 came out and I switched to using udisks2 for automounting; it's also the default behavior in Slackware, so I wouldn't plan on putting anything in the changelog for 2.1 unless I can actually find a workable way to display internal drives.

I did get it working earlier today, but the solution is not pretty and requires changes on several levels (updating busybox and/or modifying initrd to add new mount options to all drives in /etc/fstab, as well as potentially needing a recompile of util-linux with options that have been reported to break umount). See this post for some additional info: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... in-947198/

I'll see what I can do :)

Thanks!

TomasXu
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by TomasXu » 18 Jun 2013, 02:37

I am such a newbie that creating shortcuts seems the best solution for me. :)
(Can I write an shell script for this?)

Thank you all the same!

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#7 by Ahau » 18 Jun 2013, 14:09

After working through this a bit more, I found that the devices don't actually need to be mounted with this option, the option just has to be written into the /etc/fstab file. gvfs (the program that tells thunar what files are mounted and whether or not to display them in the left pane) actually sniffs this setting directly out of that file, not from /proc/mounts (hat tip to fanthom for helping me figure that out).

You can run these commands in a terminal (as root) while porteus is running:

Code: Select all

for a in `cat /etc/fstab |sed '/Device partitions/,/^$/!d'|grep '/dev/'|cut -d ' ' -f4|sort -u|grep -v 'x-gvfs-show'`; do
    sed -i '/Device partitions/,/^$/ '"s/$a/$a,comment=x-gvfs-show/g"'' /etc/fstab; 
  done  
For now, you'll have to run this every time you boot up (even if you have saved changes active), but in RC2 I'll implement this as a startup script.

If you have any usb flash drives mounted in fstab, their icon is missing. you can do this:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/share/icons/MeliaeSVG/devices/48; ln -sf gnome-dev-removable.svg media-removable.svg
You may need to log out/back in before that icon shows up.

to add a link to what this icon ought to be. That will also be fixed in RC2.

Thanks for bringing it up -- I've tried to sort this issue out in the past without luck, and I'm very happy to finally get it squashed!