Settings Centre

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: 3.2rc5 Xfce

Settings Centre

Post#1 by ralcocer » 30 May 2013, 10:21

How can I make Porteus display the Setting Center as soon as the Desktop Starts, so the user can customize Porteus from the startup. BTW I just discovered the changes=EXIT: and it stopped all the constant HD access during live section.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Settings Centre

Post#2 by fanthom » 30 May 2013, 17:51

start it through /opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/paths
I just discovered the changes=EXIT: and it stopped all the constant HD access during live section
yup - changes:EXIT is that awesome.
it uses RAM as a bufor and can let your hard drive to spin down for the whole session.
one day i'll make it default (still worrying that is not tested enough) and introduce 'changes:RT' (RealTime) for people what wants our current implementation.
maybe for porteus-3.0 :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by ralcocer » 30 May 2013, 18:48

The HD spinning all the time was driving me crazy, I have been using it since yesterday an now I miss the noise, however do not make any changes you don't want to keep , they will come back to haunt you.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#4 by ralcocer » 30 May 2013, 18:55

Give me a hint, please. I would be nice to run that script by default, because it will guide you trough the defaults for the session and they will be saved in changes.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#5 by ralcocer » 30 May 2013, 19:14

Got it working, also commented out the call to the phone home script, tried it but I get a different output than the one directly from the webpage, maybe I'm wrong

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#6 by ralcocer » 30 May 2013, 20:16

I got everything running but in order for it to work completely I have to logout and login as root, then every option works, guess is because some of the options require root benefits in order to work. But it works and I guess that every time you login and check for updates you can make progressive changes and the system will always load the latest.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#7 by brokenman » 30 May 2013, 23:31

There are many way to achieve what you want. You are correct in that some of the options within PSC require root access. This is why it should always be run with authentication.

In your porteus.cfg (found in boot/syslinux folder of root of booting device) file you could add to the bootline:

Code: Select all

autoexec=ktsuss~/opt/porteus-scripts/porteus-settings-centre
Having it autostart for people who don't use any saved changes would be annoying.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#8 by Ahau » 30 May 2013, 23:47

IIRC, "autoexec=" won't work for launching GUI applications because those commands are run from rc.M before X is running. Another method to try would be to copy the /usr/share/applications/porteus-settings-centre.desktop file (may have the name wrong, I'm posting from my phone) into /etc/xdg/autostart. Whenever a non-root user logs in, however, it will prompt for the root password before PSC opens up. You could also just add the ktsuss call to your command in 'paths'.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#9 by ralcocer » 31 May 2013, 09:54

Even if you call the settings Centre as root it will just sit there in some commands that need root access. Even as root the time config option doesn't work for me, BTW almost every live distribution has a setting setup (Mint, Debian, etc) there is no perfect setup . Also I just moved from V1.2 to V2 and I was not aware of the settings centre until I went trough every option in the menu, It makes sense to me but you are the developers, but please don't do like Microsoft that will make all the decisions for you like W-8. Great work guys.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#10 by brokenman » 31 May 2013, 22:13

Perhaps a vote is in order for a 'first run' wizard again. We did have a wizard in the past. Most distros are not portable distros designed to be run from removable (and often times unwritable) media in which case a first run wizard has no validity. We try not to make decisions for users wherever possible and are always open to community input. Majority vote always wins.

Can you explain what happens when you try to open time-config. Can you open it directly from a console? The script is in /opt/porteus-scripts. There was a name change and i don't recall the v2.0 name ... perhaps gtk-porteus-timeconfig
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#11 by ralcocer » 31 May 2013, 22:22

It was a name change.
BTW I went ahead and ran the setting script at startup, also using changes=EXIT: , have to figure out how to make it run only if the changes file is not present, guess it is in the iritrd file. I upreaded just last week to version 2, so I am still looking around , added the Printer wizzard from Slax to autorun, however my Brother Laser Printer uses a cupswrapper script to run, HP works OK, also got all the files for the other printers I have from Debian..

Great work with this version, great programming, Still having problems with some Arduino stuff .
Hava nice weekend, I will have more time next two weeks my wife is going to Silicon Valley.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#12 by ralcocer » 06 Jun 2013, 12:34

[http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/382288 ... s-for-2013 if you see Linux mint welcome screen that is what I did with the settings centre.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#13 by Ahau » 06 Jun 2013, 14:09

Is your Brother cupswrapper script specific to one model or does it benefit many models? Could you point me to a copy of it, and also let me know what debian packages you added for additional ppd files?

I'm trying to extend the porteus print pack so it covers a wider selection of printers and functions (e.g. scanning). Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#14 by ralcocer » 08 Jun 2013, 17:12

Here a re the links for Brother and the print drivers, I used the Debian rpm's and they work, I was having a problem with cups not starting in my machine so I started it from the rootcopy and now it works, also the HPlip was giving me an error about the hp-systray not autostarting.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... prn1a.html
http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/SPECS/