Replace Firefox with Chrome, Always Fresh

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
AlmightyHeretic
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: XFCE v2.0

Replace Firefox with Chrome, Always Fresh

Post#1 by AlmightyHeretic » 26 May 2013, 14:31

I like to boot Porteus Xfce 2.0 live or Always Fresh from my USB. I don't save changes when I shutdown. I've replaced the 008-firefox.xzm with 008-chrome.xzm so it'll load Google Chrome by default and skip Firefox altogether. What I'd like to know is how to replace the blanked firefox shortcut on the panel with the chrome shortcut. I've tried looking through the .cfg's on the USB stick but I haven't been able to find anything. I'm probably looking in the wrong place anyway. :unknown: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Replace Firefox with Chrome, Always Fresh

Post#2 by Hamza » 26 May 2013, 15:00

You should have a look into ~/.kde4/ folder where config files about panel are stored.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

AlmightyHeretic
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: XFCE v2.0

Post#3 by AlmightyHeretic » 26 May 2013, 20:43

Hamza wrote:You should have a look into ~/.kde4/ folder where config files about panel are stored.
Wouldn't I have to save my session using the .dat file first? I'm not able to access the root folder otherwise. I've played around with linux before but I'm still relatively new to it. What I'm trying to do is set up the live Porteus system with Chrome instead of Firefox. There are a few people I'm setting up with a live usb and we all prefer Chrome. Unless I'm mistaken the various puppy distros have an option to remaster the live image with preferred applications. Is there a way I can do that with Porteus after making changes to the system? I'd like to avoid saving the session if I can.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#4 by Ahau » 26 May 2013, 23:21

There's no ~/.kde4 folder, since you're using the xfce edition. This will work out of the box in Porteus 2.1, we're working on having drop-in support for chome and opera in addition to firefox.

That said, you can either right click on the firefox panel button and change the icon and launch command, then save the relevant config file to your rootcopy, or copy the chrome .desktop file into the proper launcher folder inside ~/.config/xfce/panel/launcher-* and place that in rootcopy too. There's a rootcopy howto in the tutorials sectin of our website.

I'm posting from my phone so I'm short on details atm - I'll write up better, step-by-step instructions for this tomorrow or tuesday.

Thanks!

EDIT: you can remaster the iso by adding applications to the /porteus/modules folder and making tweaks with files in rootcopy or by remastering modules themselves (xzm2dir to unpack a module to a folder, and dir2xzm to rebuild the module) and then run /porteus/make_iso.sh to remaster the .iso file. There's better howto's than this short description elsewhere on our site and in the forum, but feel free to let us know if you need additional guidance :)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#5 by Ahau » 29 May 2013, 05:22

Ok, so the more detailed instruction would be to do this:

Code: Select all

cp /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome.desktop ~/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-18/13334433264.desktop
While we're at it, let's just build a little module that will save this setting for us:

(make sure you run su to switch to root first)

mkdir -p /tmp/fakeroot/home/guest/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-18
mkdir -p /tmp/fakeroot/root/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-18
cp /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome.desktop /tmp/fakeroot/home/guest/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-18/13334433264.desktop
cp /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome.desktop /tmp/fakeroot/root/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-18/13334433264.desktop
chown -R 1000:1000 /tmp/fakeroot/home/guest
dir2xzm /tmp/fakeroot /tmp/chrome-launcher.xzm
Now copy that module into your modules directory:

cp /tmp/chrome-launcher.xzm /mnt/live/porteus/modules
And you should be set for future reboots.

This will all be implemented by default in 2.1 :)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!