[Solved] Screen settings are not kept between reboots

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Persey
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.0 x64 (KDE4) from CD

[Solved] Screen settings are not kept between reboots

Post#1 by Persey » 25 Apr 2013, 06:23

Hello everyone!

1) I booted from CD-RW into Porteus 2.0 x64 (KDE)
2) I created porteussave.dat file to store data between reboots, it has 1GB size and is located on my NTFS partition in d:/temp folder.
3) I rebooted with 'changes=/mnt/sda2/temp/porteussave.dat' option and this savefile is reported as XFS and mounted without problems.
4) I modified Porteus's screen size (1920x1080+1024x768), it's interface look and Firefox bookmarks.
5) I edited porteus.cfg file to use 'porteussave.dat' file automatically and saved it in temporary folder on my NTFS partition to remaster the ISO file
6) I rebooted in Windows and used UltraISO to modify the Porteus ISO file by replacing porteus.cfg file with mine.
7) I burned CD-RW again using modified ISO with 'check after burning' option, everything was OK.
8) I rebooted, booting successfully from CD-RW into Porteus.

Problem #1: So, everytime I boot into Porteus 2.0, I have to set up screen preferences to correspond my displays' native resolution. Could I tweak anything to tell Proteus to store screens setup?

Problem #2: I have 2 monitors, one connected to DVI (1920x1080), another connected to D-Sub (1024x768), I set the second display as 'Right of' the first (as in Windows) and tweak it's 'Y' position to be at the lower right corner of the first display. The taskbar is stretched to the second monitor, but I would like the taskbar to be placed only on the first monitor (as in Windows). It is not critical, but preferrable.

Problem #3: When I maximize any window, it is maximized to both displays, not being maximized only on the display it is placed on. So i have the maximized windows stretched on both displays - one part in one display, another on the other. Could I tweak anything to avoid maximizing to two displays?

I have Intel Dual Core E5200 @2.77 (10% overclocked with no problems in Windows) with 4GB DDR2, Palit GeForce GT 240 with 512 MB DDR2.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Persey on 02 May 2013, 09:37, edited 2 times in total.

Persey
White ninja
White ninja

Re: Screen settings are not kept between reboots

Post#2 by Persey » 25 Apr 2013, 08:47

Problem #2 solved: I should left-click on Panel Toolbox at the right end of panel, then drag two arrow icons to the left, thus resizing the panel. :good:

Now my panel occupies only first display.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 25 Apr 2013, 08:50

hi Persey,

would be helpful is you could change your profile and specify desktop you are using or provide this info in your post.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Persey
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by Persey » 25 Apr 2013, 08:57

Problem #1 solved: I don't know how I solved this. :D I suppose 2 variants:

1) Main menu -> System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> LXRandR autostart -> Enabled.
But after reboot this checkbox is unchecked, though LXRandR applet is now loaded every time after startup finishing.

2) Main menu -> System Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Set up everything -> Save as Default.

Persey
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by Persey » 25 Apr 2013, 08:59

fanthom, I boot into KDE, didn't try LXDE yet. Here is the screenshot if it is useful: http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/594/snapshot2qo.png

Here is the screenshot of my display settings: http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4409/snapshot4v.png

Sorry, I don't quite understand the meaning of "to change my profile". Do you mean I have to set up everything from scratch in test purposes?

Persey
White ninja
White ninja

Problem #4

Post#6 by Persey » 25 Apr 2013, 15:39

After almost a day of using Porteus 2.0 I discover another problem: full-screen playback does not prevent monitor switch off after some inactivity, i.e. when I watch a film in full-screen mode in VLC or play a video from youtube. I set up my monitor to switch off after 5 min of inactivity.

For temporary problem #3 workaround I just disabled output to the second monitor, otherwise I could not watch video in full-screen mode.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 25 Apr 2013, 16:03

@Persey
sorry - i should be more specific.
please fill your forum profile with desktop info (in my one you'll see 'LXDE/KDE4') as possible solutions may depend on that.

3) looks like xinerama support ('Multiple Monitors' tab in krandrtray) was removed from kde-4.9.x: link
seems that the only solution is described in the linked thread:

Code: Select all

- it's possible to maximize a window by dragging it to the top
If you lack the ability to maximize a window by dragging it to the top: the feature is de/activated in "kcmshell4 kwinscreenedges" 
4)
full-screen playback does not prevent monitor switch off after some inactivity, i.e. when I watch a film in full-screen mode in VLC or play a video from youtube.
there must be a setting in VLC responsible for that. for smplayer it is: Preferences -> General -> Video -> Disable screensaver.
firefox has no ability to do it (yet) so i would suggest to tweak powerdevil settings in System Settings -> Power Management and unthick "Dim Display" and "Screen Energy Saving".

Persey
White ninja
White ninja

Problem with 2-display setup in fullscreen video playback

Post#8 by Persey » 28 Apr 2013, 07:59

fanthom, the problem with 2-display setup is wider: it centers full-screen video playback between monitors: one part of video is located on the first display, another part - on the second. It does not place the video on one of monitors. So it acts like a videowall, that is not the thing it has to be.

Soon I will dig into settings again, maybe missed something.

Persey
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by Persey » 30 Apr 2013, 07:18

fanthom wrote:3) looks like xinerama support ('Multiple Monitors' tab in krandrtray) was removed from kde-4.9.x: link
So the only possible solution for me with current version of KDE4 is to turn off the second monitor, otherwise full screen video playback stretches the video to two monitors. It's not the fault of Porteus devteam, it's the fault of KDE4 devteam.

fanthom, thank you very much for your explanation.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: [Solved] Screen settings are not kept between reboots

Post#10 by francois » 02 May 2013, 02:34

@persey:

I had the same problem as you have. I did not like to have the screen extended onto two screens. I have solved the problem using the xfce 2.0 edition which behaves the right way considering the two screens as being different screens.

@fanthom:

Kde slax 7 does not have that type of problem. Only god knows why. I prefer porteus: faster, better compatibility, better forum, PPM ... .
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Persey
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by Persey » 02 May 2013, 18:49

francois, thank you! It works like a charm. :good:

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#12 by fanthom » 07 May 2013, 16:20

thanks francois for letting me know about slax working properly.

i have found that multiple monitor settings were removed from kde-4.9 but 'qt' has possibility of using xinerama. recompiling qt with 'xinerama' support solves issue highlighted in this thread.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by francois » 07 May 2013, 22:34

Hi fanthom. I am really happy to read that my hint helped you. Will the solution be generalized to qtrazor edition too?

I will for sure return to the kde edition with this incentive. :)

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#14 by francois » 18 May 2013, 00:13

fanthom wrote:thanks francois for letting me know about slax working properly.

i have found that multiple monitor settings were removed from kde-4.9 but 'qt' has possibility of using xinerama. recompiling qt with 'xinerama' support solves issue highlighted in this thread.
Do you have this qt xinerama compiled module? It would be appreciated. Or just give the receipe to do it. I would like to use kde 64 bit dual screen working appropriately.

Thanks

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#15 by fanthom » 18 May 2013, 07:00

apologize francois - have seen your previous post and forgotten to answer.
Will the solution be generalized to qtrazor edition too?
yes. qt will be shared between razor and kde4 modules in porteus-2.1
Do you have this qt xinerama compiled module? It would be appreciated. Or just give the receipe to do it.
i have just removed (previously added) '-xinerama' switch from the slackbuild. will upload recompiled qt once i return home. it may not work as i think that whole desktop needs to be recompiled against this version of qt.

btw: rc1 of porteus-2.1 should be released within 2-3 weeks and this bugs is definitely closed there.