Autorun / Automount / Autostart xzm [Solved]

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Autorun / Automount / Autostart xzm

Post#16 by Hamza » 14 Feb 2013, 21:19

Does your package's name is VNC or TightVNC ?
NjVFQzY2Rg==

nassausky
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus v2.0 rc2 i486

Post#17 by nassausky » 14 Feb 2013, 21:30

It's tigervnc. This has been a few days of work. I tried tightvnc first but I kept getting the fixed font error. After trying everything to fix that error I gave up and found a much bigger package called tigervnc which functioned without the error.

Starting vncserver :1 won't work if there are old locked files in the /tmp directory that isn't cleaned up from a previous attempt. There should be a script that shuts down all vnc processes at shutdown and erases those files. I got it to use :1 (port 5901) by deleting those files but I am worried that if the system is ever shutdown uncleanly that it won't startup on the same port 5901 again.

Now I remastered the image after I got it working how I wanted it to but the remaster doesn't save the vncpassword. I have to figure out where tigervnc saves the password after running vncpasswd command and somehow include that in the remastered CD. Uh boy sounds like a lot more work.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#18 by Hamza » 14 Feb 2013, 21:34

Good luck.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

nassausky
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus v2.0 rc2 i486

Re: Autorun / Automount / Autostart xzm [Solved]

Post#19 by nassausky » 16 Feb 2013, 03:56

OK so I finally got all the basics working and it's functioning how I like.

To Autorun /Automount / Autostart an xzm I added it to the /mnt/sda1/porteus/modules folder. That wasn't the only trick, to make it easier when I first started the Package Manager I wound up choosing that particular folder so that I didn't have to move it from /tmp/md to the /mnt/sda1/porteus/modules folder which automatically loads during boot.

Next issue was automatically starting the vncserver after it was automatically mounting. I first put it in the rc.local file, then realized after making the ISO and burning it to CD then reinstalling it to do more tweaks and testing, it errors out because my guess an error log said it couldnt find the /home/guest folder. I wound up using a cheatcode and putting it inside /mnt/sda1/boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg which loads up after rc.local and it did the trick

Last was figuring out how to keep the password. I just had to create a password with vncpasswd which puts it in /home/guest/.vnc/passwd and then make sure it gets copied to ISO by copying that to the /mnt/sda1/porteus/rootcopy folder. I also had to tell the cheatcode which started up the vncserver to use this file and not keep asking for it on reboot which needed the -rfbauth /home/guest/.vnc/passwd command line argument.

Thanks.. I have a bunch of other work to do but some time soon I'm going to try to lock it down with a SSL connection.