[Solved] Proper use of lilo with new 'from=' cheatcode

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
claude
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: XFCE 3.1

[Solved] Proper use of lilo with new 'from=' cheatcode

Post#1 by claude » 18 Jan 2013, 15:35

I use lilo for booting my various OS on several computers. lilo works fine in v1.2 with the old cheatcodes 'from_dev=' and 'from_dir=', however when I try to use the new cheatcode 'from=' (in my case I am using 'from=/mnt/sda5/porteus2') I get an error during boot up saying that the *.sgn file is not there. But the *.sgn file is right in /mnt/sda5/porteus2 in my system. lilo was not included in v2.0-rc1, so I booted the original v1.2 iso in order to run my new lilo config file. Everything boots fine except v2.0-rc1. The section relative to v2.0-rc1 in my lilo.conf (frugal install) is:

image=/mnt/sda5/slmap/vmlinuz2
password = ******
initrd=/mnt/sda5/slmap/initrd2.xz
label=XFCE-2.0rc1
APPEND="from=/mnt/sda5/porteus2 xfce nohd nomagic rootcopy=/mnt/sda5/porteus2/rootcopy volume=25%"

What am I doing wrong? Also how do I get Porteus to boot in text mode? I've tried to add '3' to the append line but it didn't work in v1.2. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by claude on 18 Jan 2013, 23:11, edited 3 times in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Proper use of lilo with new 'from=' cheatcode in v2.0-rc

Post#2 by fanthom » 18 Jan 2013, 20:00

@claude
when I try to use the new cheatcode 'from=' (in my case I am using 'from=/mnt/sda5/porteus2') I get an error during boot up saying that the *.sgn file is not there. But the *.sgn file is right in /mnt/sda5/porteus2 in my system.
Porteus-2.0 is expecting to find an unpacked ISO in 'from=/mnt/sdXY/something' folder (and not .sgn file as it was n 1.2) so you must have:

Code: Select all

/mnt/sda5/porteus2/porteus/*.sgn
on your hd.
full explanation can be find here:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 256#p12265
ow do I get Porteus to boot in text mode? I've tried to add '3' to the append line but it didn't work in v1.2.
in porteus-1.2 you must use 'autoexec=telinit~3' cheatcode.

i think it would be better to stick to one line (suggest 2.x) to avoid confusion.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

claude
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: XFCE 3.1

Re: Proper use of lilo with new 'from=' cheatcode in v2.0-rc

Post#3 by claude » 18 Jan 2013, 22:05

Your two explanations are both right on target. lilo now works perfectly in both v1.2 and v2.0-rc1! :Yahoo!:
THANKS!!